Moving away from flashing lights Boss TU2 , Ive bought a Boss TU12H needle tuner

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock Fella, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Anybody else here use a TU12H, just outta curiousity ?

Ive never really been truly satisfied with my TU2 tuner, ive found it to be not the last word in tuning stability. I wouldnt pay the UK asking price for a Peterson strobe as it is quite ridiculous , but I do appreciate the need for a quality piece of tuning gear.

A pro set up technician advised me to use the Boss TU12 or TU12H tuner , he said it is the industry standard tuner here in the UK and when it locks onto a note there is none of the erratic needle swinging on tuners of this type id owned before. Surely enough , when i tuned my R9 using his TU12H, when it registered that a note was in tune , that needle locked in solid without any needle wavering whatsoever. My flashing light TU2 ,from my experiences , did not not lock in so solidly at all and could be a bit of a pain in the arse at times, imo the TU12H tuned the guitar more accurately and it was much much less of a chore.

My own TU12H is currently on its way to me from the USA , ill sell my TU2 on ebay and that will cover most of the outlay for the TU12H, looking forward to easy tuning I can tell you.:AOK

jimmy

2. danut

danut Member

+1 on the TU-12H. It's very accurate and easy to work with. There are two things, however, that you should know about it:

1. Don't use it in the chain, it will suck out your tone like hell. Use it from the tuner out of a volume pedal.
    2. The input jack is soldered directly to the PCB, so it will crap out sooner or later (if you just stick the tuner to your pedalboard and don't put too much stress on the input jack constantly, chances are it will hold just fine forever). If not, you will have to resolder the input jack from time to time.
    I don't see this as a major drawback, considering the very good tuning quality.

3. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

+1 on what danut said.

Definately use a "tuner out" of a volume pedal or bypass box.
    I just resoldered my input jack about a month ago,works like new.It's been good to me for about 6 years now. Tunes my acoustics nicely also with the built in mic.

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Speaking of which guys,
    have any of you tried the new Boss TU-15 with the High grade transparent in/out jacks that supposedly do NOT effect your tone? anyone get to try this one out yet?
    I have the TU-2, and the TU-12h. TU2 doesn't seem to suck tone, I agree with danut...the Tu-12h is accurate, but seems to suck tone.
    Just thought i'd ask about the TU-15, and see if the jury is in or out.
    Best regards,
    Mass

5. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I know this is an ignorant question, but will the TU-12 (or any pedal for that matter) suck tone if used through the effects loop?

6. pepperco

pepperco Member

The TU12 is a very good tuner, I have used one for going
    on 15 plus years for all of my daily tuning duties.

I like the needle , much more precice than the jittery
    nature of the TU2 pedal tuner. I do have a TU2 for
    my pedalboard. Its just much more robust for knocking
    around. But the TU12 is great. Maybe I will try to
    incorperate the TU12 into my new pedalboard build.:AOK

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have a TU-12H on my pedalboard that I've used regularly since 1985. Still working perfectly, although sometimes I do need to jiggle the input jack a little bit. I guess it is starting to crap out. I only bought a backup for it last year.

8. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

That's what mine was doing. Being a tightwad and not wanting to blow a pedals worth of cash on a new tuner,I opened it up. Just the two points where the input jack is connected to the pcb board had broken their connection. 6 minute fix with the soldering gun,most of that was waiting for the iron to heat up,and it's as good as new.

9. Jo

Jo Silver Supporting Member

I've had a TU12 for over 15 years (I must be on my fourth battery or so) and like you, use it for my day to day tuning. However, I do use the TU-2 on my pedalboard because it doubles as a mute switch for me when I'm playing the piezo on my HB.

In terms of tuning the TU12 is way better than those flashing lights of the TU-2.

I'd love to get something similar to the TU12 in pedal form with a needle. Any recommendations?

What's the difference between the TU12 and the 12H?

10. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Thanks, I'll check into it.

11. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I have had the TU12 for about 10 years now And just recently sold my StroboStomp and went back to the TU15 which for that type of tuner is very good and has some good options over the TU12.
    I usually just leave it on top of my amp and just plug into it when i need it other than that its not in my signal path but I might try it to see if it doesnt screw with my tone.

12. el34power

el34power Member

One thing..the only thing i don't like about the 12, is that you can't see the needle in the dark, and i find that there is too much play if you just use the LED's.
    I bought a Korg DT-10 for the board and kkep the 12 on the bench.

13. danny60

danny60 Member

TU12H owner since 1984! I've not used it on a pedalboard,(thanks for the input jack info) It's my "go to" tuner for setup work.The case will support it at an angle for easy viewing.

Knowing we need to tune proves our ears work just fine too.

Peace,
    Dan

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Well - in the category of YMMV - I didn't find the TU12H very accurate... Sold it in a hurry.