Moving gear across country help...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Phisherman, May 3, 2016.

1. Phisherman

Phisherman Member

Moving 1100 miles from Texas to West Virginia. Will be renting a uhaul box truck moving in one trip. Drive company car so no vehicle until I arrive there. Only worry is gear.

Have 10 string instruments. Hard cases for all but 3. Range of quality up to $2500.
    PT Pro Fully loaded (soft case)
    PT Classic 2 Fully loaded (hard case)
    Two amps

Weather wise, its going to be hot leaving Texas (assumption) heading North, so they will be in the back of a Uhaul in above average temperature throughout day. Drive to Nashville or further should be out of heat by nights end so leaving them that night in uhaul (3 will be brought inside), not so much a worry. Next day driving early be there by noon-2. Main concern is day one getting out of Texas and them being in the back baking.

I plan on going to GC to get guitar boxes, if they'll give them to me, to put the cases in. Or try other guitar shops for them.

Not taking a bed to lay them on*

Questions:

Do I stand the boxes upright and maybe tie them together, not overly tight, just enough to keep them together, and put an egg crate/comforter underneath them to absorb bounce? Or lay them down and stack them? I also have capability to put boxed guitars in cases on a pallet and wrap them together with packing wrap.

Amps just put in a box and package tightly I assume?

Pedalboard PT pro; soft case scares me a bit but I've thought about placing towels inside the soft case to absorb as much as it could; then laying it on top of something. Should I dismantle the board and box up the pedals? Wrapped individually? (Have most original boxes).

How much damage if any will come to the guitars in the back of a Uhaul for one day?

Would you potentially spend $5-700 more and use a pod system for everything other than gear. Then rent a suburban and drive it up separate?

Advice on how YOU would go about this would be appreciated.

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

I went 2400 miles in winter and just put them on a folded packing blanket, in the position they'd be if you were carrying them - vertical, lengthwise. Both Teles arrived still in tune.

3. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

As long as you pack the uhaul carefully, the guitars will be fine. I would absolutely not put them in a Pod, if you decide to go that route.

As far as the amps and boards, I think you'll be fine to leave the boards assembled and box the amps.

4. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

NYC to TN hauling about 27 guitars and 7 or 8 amps (and every other possession my wife and I have).
    Boxed as many guitars as I had boxes for. (Some were acoustics, the only ones you need to worry about in a sweltering truck.)

Everything was just fine.
    You should be able to brace them with some furniture and use some packing blankets here and there (ask uhaul to give you as many as possible).

That little uhaul was packed high and tight. It teetered so much I felt like I was sailing a boat on rough seas more than driving, but I made it.

Just do a good job packing and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

5. Phisherman

Phisherman Member

Thanks for your time and advice. I could see the tension you would have, and I'm sure I will have, hauling this stuff up that way. Could care less about anything other than my gear. In particular my Martin GPCPA4, Gibson Hummingbird, and my Gibson ES-339 Electric. Gonna be a long two days with high blood pressure I'm sure.

Thanks again for your input.

6. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Oh, and to be clear, where I said "Just do a good job packing and you'll be fine."
    I meant…
    Do a good job loading (the truck).
    Obviously, good packing helps too.