Moving gear cross-country via PODS

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GuitarArt1980, Jan 21, 2015.

1. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

My wife and I are moving from Dallas to Seattle and are shipping our stuff via PODS (shipping containers). Anyone know to what extent I should pack gear such as tube amps and guitars? I originally assumed it would be akin to using a moving van (an amp cover on my Vox would be ok) but my wife suggested packing in boxes as though I were shipping via FedEx. Any insight?

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

They're just shipping containers, no?

Throwing everything into a giant metal box, asking someone to "ship" that box cross country, and expecting everything to be fine seems like a bad idea to me.

I would pack everything to the extreme, but then I would anyway.

3. pcutt

pcutt Member

I've used PODS for three long distance moves and they work great! Pack everything in boxes or wrap with moving pads or blankets. There will be plenty of vibration and motion from just driving on the road, and even more from potholes and curves, so pack such that the items won't move. You don't need "Fedex" level of packing, but I've found that a layer of cardboard is good to prevent scraping from relative motion between items. It is best to make a single layer of boxes to cover the floor, then start layering on top of that.

4. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

Also, know that they aren't completely safe to the elements. You will want to get the stuff out before it rains heavily. I used bungee cords (A bunch!) to keep stuff from moving around inside.