Moving guitars to buy guitars...interested in TGP's opinions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skhan007, Jan 18, 2015.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I know many of us will sell off guitars, accumulate funds, and go for other guitars. Many of us will have a guitar for a year or two (or less) and then our interests change and we're into something else (GAS).

Well, I'm really wanting to get a nice high-end Les Paul, like a good R9, a Collector's Choice, or a replica like a Gil Yaron. To swing the acquisition takes serious funds on-hand or moving gear.

I have a late '69/early '70 strat, which I dig, but I'd rather have an LP at this point. The strat comes out of its case maybe a couple of times a year and I've owned it for a long time. In your opinion(s), is it foolish to sell off/trade a vintage instrument (which presumably will continue to increase in value) for a newer production guitar?

My other option is to simply save, take my time, sell off other stuff, etc. and let the vintage instrument stay. Curious what you guys think...

2. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

I don't think it's foolish to sell a guitar you don't play that often in exchange for one that you will play frequently and that inspires you. Doesn't really matter if one is vintage and the other newer. As long as you get a fair value on the one you are selling, it's a good deal and not foolish, in my opinion.

3. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Nope. Not if it gets you what you're after.

I've sold off a few guitars to get the ones I currently have, and I couldn't be happier.

4. Serenity

Serenity Member

If i don't use gear more than a few times a year it goes regardless of if i'm wanting new gear or not. I know there are guys who collect, but i don't like having gear i don't use.

5. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I don't worry to much about selling gear. Sure there are the rare regrets, but that's life.

As for how you do it, I strongly believe in buying the replacement first - having both for a time, then moving the one not played works much better for me. That requires surplus cash, but acquiring the discipline to put yourself in that position isn't a bad thing (pardon if that sounds like a lecture, that's not my intent). A cash surplus position also allows you to buy when the right thing comes along at the right price... Much better than an urgent chase.

6. Franktone

Franktone Member

No, do not get rid of the 69/70 Strat. Those late sixties strats are some of the best strats ever. Jimi Hendrix preferred them. Sell something else, like your car, amps, pedals, to get that R9 which will be a really great guitar, but it will never give you what you will lose if you let that 69/70 strat go out the door.

7. TeleFromHelly

TeleFromHelly Member

Sell it and never look back. The vintage market is not a sure bet by any means, especially as the baby boomers retire and thin out their own collections as opposed to buying more

8. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

That's how I get to own and play different guitars. Can't justify hanging onto a bunch of guitars.

Say, can I interest you in a....

9. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    The strat continuing to appreciate in value - that is an assumption. Time will tell...

10. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

I agree with this. I've purchased guitars I thought would work better for me, only to end up selling that one because I liked the guitars I already had more.

11. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I'd say sell it and get something you want. You can still say "I once had a a…", if you're not playing it, it's no different than saying "I have a…"

12. dwk302

dwk302 Member

Sell it. The 2013 & 2014 R9s are spectacular!

13. billyjett

billyjett Member

I agree with this, the other upside is that you might find that it's nice to have guitars with different voices, and decide later that you want to keep the Strat.

14. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Good word!

15. dubdub

dubdub Member

Sell it and get it over with. I don't like having instruments around that I don't play.

16. idylldon

idylldon Supporting Member

Life is short and guitars are many.

I say move it and get something the compels you to play! I bought a '66 335 back in the mid-70s and had it for decades. I NEVER enjoyed playing it and hardly ever did so but I kept it because it was vintage. Well, I finally wised up and sold it and replaced it with a guitar that I play every day. I have never looked back longingly to the 335 and I'm glad someone bought it who enjoys playing it.

As for keeping it as an investment, well, as another poster said, that's an "assumption." I wouldn't bet on that assumption these days. Also, you mentioned you've had it for quite some time so you'll reap the rewards of appreciation. If it appreciates more after you sell it, so what?

Cheers,
    --
    Don

17. kennybro

kennybro Member

I'm kind of in the same boat you are in. Seriously thinking about selling a black 69 maple cap neck Strat to fund a nice 59 repop. Sure, you want different voices, but you can get a dead on Strat voice that plays beautifully (if that's the main concern) from a $600 MIJ 80's, or even a well set-up MIM. You don't need a valuable vintage Strat for that.

Questions; Do you see yourself regretting the sale? How well do you connect with that Strat. Is it worth more to you as cash toward something you will use to make fine music? Only you can answer these questions.

Remember, if a guitar is just sitting in the closet because you don't connect, it's only value is the potential current market cash value. It has ZERO value, as long as it's in the closet; just a pile of useless wood and metal. I wouldn't hang on because you expect value to appreciate. I think those days are pretty much over, and from here on out, we're going to see values steady and falling for all but completely unmolested vintage bursts.

18. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Nice problem to have.

That Strat could fetch a pretty good buck. And if there's one thing about Stratocasters--there's plenty of 'em!

I'm a hardcore Strat guy but my tastes don't go anywhere near CBS Fenders. Every single one I've had was a dud and I have no regrets selling any of them. I shake my head at the prices people are asking for them these days.

Buy the Les Paul first. If it's the be-all-end-all, then sell the Strat and you'll get a nice chunk of change back.

19. XKnight

XKnight Member

I keep about a dozen guitars on hand and when I get the urge to try something new I will sell or trade to do it. I'd rather have something I enjoy playing as opposed to having yet another guitar that just sits in its case all year. Also, whether the 69/70 Strat will go up in value is a crap shoot.

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

You sound like the guy who bought my very nice '73 Strat to in '92, at way too low a price. :waiting

To the OP, my policy is to never sell a guitar again, even the cheap ones. Something you don't like or that someone has told you isn't any good today might be something you like or that gains value in the future.

For example, you could pick up crappy 70's Teiscos and the like very cheap until the past 10 years or so. Now, you see them going for a premium on eBay.

Hang on to your Strat and find another way (other than debt) to buy your LP.