Moving on from my Truetone VS-XO

I have an old Truetone VSXO and find myself only using the left side. Its nice and open, and relatively uncolored, but it is a bit dark and can get a bit muddy. Modeled after the Nobels ODR1 if i recall correcrly.
I'm getting all my "gain staging" merely by riding the volume knob on my guitar from clean to mean. P90 pickups do that really well, and I like how that channel on my VSXO cleans up.

I'm moving on from the VSXO and am a bit overwhelmed and confused as to what to grab next. I'm looking for a clear, uncolored drive pedal which cleans up well, bright chimey top end, can go from clean to rockin with my guitars volume knob, and sounds good into amps set clean and on the edge of brrakup.

Not interested in Klones, as i find them harsh and only good into amps which are already cooking. Been looking at "transparent" drives like the Barber Gain Changer, Greer Lightspeed, Lovepedal Amp 11, and Wampler Euphoria. Also intrigued by bluesbreaker types like the Morning Glory, Snouse BlackBox, and Wampler Pantheon. Also wouln't be opposed to MIAB like the Box of Rock.

Out of those I'm most interested in the Gain Changer and the Pantheon.
Any thoughts? Thanks!

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
Try the Rockett Tour Series GTO. It’s also an ODR derivative but has very musical EQ without the overwhelming bass. Top jacks too. Mine was $100 on Reverb.

I tried the Gain Changer first. It was good but the GTO was easier to dial in.

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
Depends a bit on the amp or amp types you use. It might save you some time if you get recommendations based on your rig.

NHBluesMan

The Visual Sound Open Road is the same circuit without the bass control (which would be the same as running the left side with the bass turned up all the way).

chadmo1

I've been through a bunch on Bluesbreakers. I've liked the Morning Glory, Pantheon and the Black Box. I think the Pantheon may have the biggest range of dirt. The Morning Glory has a smaller window, but I think I liked the tone of it better. I just got the Black Box yesterday, so I haven't spent a whole lot of time with it, but I'd say it sits in the middle of those 2. I has a big range of gain and sounds great. I would be totally fine with any of the 3.

GeorgeNada

Maybe just stick with a variation of the Nobels. Wampler, DCW, XTS, Brown Amplification, Mythos all make them. Or just get an actual Nobels.

If you want to try something new a Timmy, bluesbreaker based of OD, or DOD 250 based pedal should all do about what you want

Maybe just stick with a variation of the Nobels. Wampler, DCW, XTS, Brown Amplification, Mythos all make them. Or just get an actual Nobels.

If you want to try something new a Timmy, bluesbreaker based of OD, or DOD 250 based pedal should all do about what you want
Timmy comes to my mind.... PaulC no doubt, has created a legendary pedal.

jasonk931

Silver Supporting Member
I have an old Truetone VSXO and find myself only using the left side. Its nice and open, and relatively uncolored, but it is a bit dark and can get a bit muddy. Modeled after the Nobels ODR1 if i recall correcrly.
I'm getting all my "gain staging" merely by riding the volume knob on my guitar from clean to mean. P90 pickups do that really well, and I like how that channel on my VSXO cleans up.

I'm moving on from the VSXO and am a bit overwhelmed and confused as to what to grab next. I'm looking for a clear, uncolored drive pedal which cleans up well, bright chimey top end, can go from clean to rockin with my guitars volume knob, and sounds good into amps set clean and on the edge of brrakup.

Not interested in Klones, as i find them harsh and only good into amps which are already cooking. Been looking at "transparent" drives like the Barber Gain Changer, Greer Lightspeed, Lovepedal Amp 11, and Wampler Euphoria. Also intrigued by bluesbreaker types like the Morning Glory, Snouse BlackBox, and Wampler Pantheon. Also wouln't be opposed to MIAB like the Box of Rock.

Out of those I'm most interested in the Gain Changer and the Pantheon.
Any thoughts? Thanks!
Are you selling your VSXO? Have you?

Trending Topics