Moving over to the dark side....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Shemp, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Shemp

Shemp Member

It used to be that I played pretty much exclusively through Fenderoid amps. I had/have a Hot Rod Deluxe, Princeton Reverb, SF Bassman, SF Pro Reverb, SF Deluxe Reverb, Champ, 59 Bassman Clone, Holland Little Jimi, Carr Rambler... yeah I owned a JCM 800, a Bedrock Lead 50 and a Fuchs ODS 50 for awhile, but my go to amps and reference tones were pretty much always clean Fender. (In fact I liked the clean channel of my Fuchs better than the OD channel)

All of a sudden the only amps that I'm plugging into are my Route 66, Marshall 2061X and Shiva. There's just something about the complexity of an edge of breakup "dirty" style amp that's satisfying my tone jones these days.

Running the TTE and OCD in front of these three amps is giving me the best 3D tones I've ever had. I was playing a strat with Fralin Blues pups into the Rt 66 and Marshall 2X12 this morning and damn if that isn't one of the most satisfying sounds I've ever produced. Rich full, responds incredibly to picking dynamics. Kick in the ODS and it sounds like a Marshall Stack.

I may be a convert to the dark side.

:dude

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to the dark side, Luke! :D

I live for great edge of breakup tones. TopHats and Germinos are doing it for me these days.

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

*Welcomes Shemp into the fold*:cool:

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Not everyone finds it necessary to wholly convert. First thing I would think of is the Demeter TGA-3 if you haven't come across one of those before.

5. dazco

dazco Member

I've been there for years. I don't even use a clean amp setting anymore in favor of my guitar's volume control. Never gets 100% clean, but as you said....

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Actually, Shemp, I need to edit my previous post.

You were previously living in The Dark Side.

Welcome to The Light!!!!!! :D

7. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Uhhhh....whooooo Uhhhhh....Whoooo Uhhhh...whoooooo

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE COME BACK!:D

8. Ken

Ken Member

Shemp,

What are your favorite pedals with the Shiva?

I personally like pedals into the clean channel of the Shiva better than the Overdrive channel.

The Pro Analog Dual Drive and TIM really do it for me so far, But I'm always eager to try more :eek:

9. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Shemp...now you need to try an 18 watt Marshall, a 65 Amp, or a Gabi Voxer or something similar...(oh yeah...and we need to get you playing a Les Paul!!!!)

You sound like me about 5 years ago...a total Fender dude. Heck my only thought when someone said Marshall was "100 Watt Stack...useless to me!"

Now, I guess you could say I love all amps, but prefer the Marshall/Vox thingy way more!

-Rich

10. Shemp

Shemp Member

I'm strictly using the Tube Tape Echo into the front of the clean channel now and not using the onboard reverb. For dirt I've found that the Shiva is fairly pedal friendly.

The OCD works well, my RC and AC Boosters are great, and my secret weapon is an old Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket that really kicks the Shiva in the nads.

11. Ken

Ken Member

That echo must sound great!

I have also stopped using my Shiva's on-board reverb, wow another convert, LOL! I have a Digi-Delay pedal that I have on all the time now...I like the sound better overall with both clean and overdrive, it gives the sound more definition ...Guess I'm more of a delay guy anyway.

I believe Bogner designed the Shiva for optimal tone with the reverb disabled from the circuit, but gave into the requests for reverb from customers. Not sure if this is accurate, but I remember something along those lines.

I have an AC Booster too, but its up for sale...I have tested and re-tested and for the Shiva, I prefer the two pedals I listed before...

12. Shemp

Shemp Member

Well, I have the 2061X (Marshall 20 watt head) that I like better than the 18 I tried. I also have a Vox AC 15 TBX, and I own 2 LPs including an 01 R7 that's about to trade its Voodoo 59s for a set of Crossroads.

13. Shemp

Shemp Member

The shiva reverb is excellent, but it steals tone and level. The TTE acts like a tube preamp even when the effect is disengaged, so it adds tone and level. All I need is a touch of depth, that the echo gives in spades. This rig is awesome for high volume needs.