Moving Strat mid pu tone to bridge pu - pos 2/4 tone change?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DainBramage, Sep 12, 2008.

1. DainBramage

DainBramage Member

I'm going to be moving the middle pickup tone control on my strat to my bridge pickup. I bought a no-load pot, so I think I should still be able to get the same sound out of my bridge pickup with the tone control on 10 as I do with no tone pot in the circuit. My question is - now that the middle pickup will have no tone pot and thus no 250K ohm resistance, will my pos 2 & 4 sound change? Do I need to add a 250K ohm resistor between the middle pickup and the switch to keep things sounding the same or would just placing a jumper between the neck and mid pickup at the tone control side of the switch do the trick?

TIA,
    DB

2. angelo

angelo Member

EVERY STRAT I have EVER owned, I switch the mid tone control to bridge because that's just how I am.

I honestly have not noticed a position 2 and 4 issue. I've just been happy with the move .... and found the bridge pickup instantly usable.

3. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

They get better in my opinion.

The middle pickup gets a little brighter when the tone pot is removed. This opens up the 2 and 4 pos tones to my ear a little bit. I like it.

Also, the thought of not being able to tame the highs on the bridge pickup is ludicrous. It's the only mod I need to have done on a strat if it's going to sound right in all positions at the same time...otherwise the ideal bridge sound makes the neck muddy...and when the neck is clear and articulate- the bridge is too harsh. So for me it's a must.

Back to your ? I think it's pretty minimal, but it does open up the position 2 and 4 tone a bit.

Jack

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Jack - I agree completely, and for the same reasons. I do that mod to my Strats - every one. It really opens up the tone of positions 2 & 4, as you say, and makes it a lot easier to control the brightness when you flip to the bridge pickup alone.

Thanks, Dana O.

5. DainBramage

DainBramage Member

Thanks for the responses. Looks like it's a go on this mod for me! I've got the soldering iron fired up as I type. While I'm in there I'm also upgrading the pots and switch on my '82 MIJ. Up next...maybe a Callaham trem block.

Take care,
    DB

6. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

My favorite mod is to wire the first tone to all three pickups and then put a blender pot in the second tone position (closest to input jack). The tones you can get blending in some neck pickup with the bridge are just great. It also lets you blend some bridge into your neck, which, with my tweed deluxe, makes the neck pup a whole lot clearer and snappier.

7. DainBramage

DainBramage Member

So, does the blend pot blend in the bridge pup, or the neck pup? I guess either way you could also get a tele bridge+neck sound out of a strat usually unattainable w/standard 5-way switch wiring, right? Cool idea. What value is the blend pot, 250K like the standard strat tone/vol pots? Linear or audio taper, or is that an issue w/ blend pots? So many possibilities that never entered this feeble mind o'mine, which in turn create so many questions...

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

It blends both. It blends the neck pup in when you're in the bridge and it blends the neck in when you've got the selector on the bridge. I can't remember the specs, but it comes from Acme Guitarworks website. Check it out or give them a call. It really is a cool mod that gives you a lot more useable tones.

9. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

That sounds like a great option!

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that no-load pot is the perfect choice for a blender pot; otherwise, a little neck will be bleeding into the bridge all the time.

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

+1 :banana

12. DainBramage

DainBramage Member

I checked out the diagram...very cool. So, it looks like the master tone also works on the bridge pup, right? I wonder why they chose a .047 mf cap for the tone pot? Is it just personal preference, or is there some functional reasoning behind using that as opposed to a .022mf cap?

13. polifemo

polifemo Member

Another way to go is to move the tonecontrol wire from the mid pickup to the tonecontrol of the neck pickup and solder a new wire from the bridge pickup to the rear tonecontrol.

Neck/midpickup will now share the first tone knob and the bridge PU will be controlled from the rear tone knob.
    No change in position 2 & 4.

14. trevorus

trevorus Member

I usually link the bridge and middle on the bottom tone control. It's what they did on some of the American Fenders, and I liked it like that.

15. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Switching the tone to bridge is a must for me

16. Seegs

Seegs Member

I pretty much agree and think it helps the in-betweens jump/stand out more but it is pretty noticeable when the middle pup is used alone...used to do the blender mod but even with a no-load or an ACME special blender pot I felt it affected the other positions and I never really used it so I went with the above mod and really like it a lot...

Chow,
    Seegs

17. DainBramage

DainBramage Member

Well, my bridge pickup finally has a tone pot! :banana Thanks, everyone, for all the great input. I actually had it done after my first couple of posts, but have been too busy playing my "new" Strat to sit down and write this. Wow! is all I can say. The bridge pup is no longer a useless dangling appendage. I think my neck pickup might get a bit jealous, being my #1 for so long. I did notice the difference in the 2/4 positions and haven't yet decided if I like it a lot, or am indifferent to the change. I definitely don't hate it. I'll wear it for awhile and see how it settles in to my ears. One last question for y'all...would there be any down-side to adding the mid pup to the neck tone control? Thanks again for sharing your experiences, comments and expertice.

18. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Has anyone modded their Strat so that the neck tone also does the bridge?

I'm wondering if the extra load will affect the neck position when the bridge is switched off.

19. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

The things you can learn on TGP...that's cool (and Thanks). Gonna have to try it.