Moving to a F-chord

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by reomi, Feb 21, 2008.

1. reomi

reomi Member

Hey guys.

I'm learning a new song with these guys I sit in with and for some reason am having a hard time popping to an F-chord on the 1st from a C-minor on the 5th fret.

I've tried slowing down and just practicing the movement, I get it to where it feels fine and I'm horrified at how bad it sounds as I try to go back to normal speed.

For now I'm just trying to grab the root on the first beat of the f-chord and then get situated before the second beat.

Thanks for any suggestion

2. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

Just vamp between the two chords in time,and do it all day. tomorrow it will be easier and the day after that...

3. jspax7

jspax7 Member

C minor should be at the 3rd fret.

The C minor, and F major bar chords use the same finger shape. (similar to an open A minor to E major) Move the 3 fingers over one string, and you should be playing G major. (both at the 3rd fret) Practice that several times, then move down to the first fret as to move the shape over.

If you are letting go completely, you have to re-form the shape. That may be what is slowing you down. Keep the shape of the chord as you move.

Always look for common fingers or shapes when changing chords.

Don't forget to breathe...

4. reomi

reomi Member

jspax,

you're correct, I should have said 3rd fret. Thanks

5. cameron

cameron Member

On that first position Fmajor chord, I often leave off the low F and the high F, and just play the middle four strings. I don't have a reason why I play it that way, it just seems the most natural way to do it.

Another way I often play F major is to grab this shape: 5x35xx that's just an F major triad with the third in the bass. I use that shape all the time, not just for F ( 4x2400 is a really cool open E major voicing - I call that the Andy Partridge E chord, because of its prevalence in XTC songs).

That 5x35xx F voicing should be really easy to switch to from third position Cmin . . .

6. triple_vee

triple_vee Senior Member

+1.

i literally spent days working on the opening chord changes to Josie by Steely Dan.