Moving to a larger board - 24" vs 32" - Looking for some insight

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gallery, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

My Pedaltrain Classic Jr just isn't cutting it anymore. I want to add some fuzz and delay to the board and I'd really like to make the jump to a midi controller and possibly a loop switcher.

• I'm trying to stick with Pedaltrain since the design works well for me, but open to suggestions.
    • The idea of a 32" board seems excessive to me. It will be a bit overwhelming in my small guitar room not mention a lot to carry.
    • The only 24" pedaltrain that will fit a switcher is the Novo 24. Adding a midi controller and loop switcher would mean I can't fit all the pedals I planned, so there will be some compromise.
    • So that leaves me with choosing a Novo 24, Novo 32, or Classic Pro. I'm leaning towards the Novo 24, but hesitant knowing it will not fit everything.

Any advice or suggestions from those who have made the jump to a larger board with midi control? Did you find the Novo 24 to be enough?

Anyone go to a Novo 24 only to make another jump to a larger board.

2. J.Jones

J.Jones Member

I've had the Classic 2, Jr, and now the Novo 24. I prefer the Novo over the others, but have pretty well maxed it out and am considering trading up to a 32. I don't use a loop switcher, but I do have use a Source Audio Soleman MIDI controller. I like the 24, its a good size without being ridiculous, and right now in the case weighs almost as much as a combo amp, so I'm hesitant to go even larger when I think about load-ins and practices. I think if I went to a 32 I'd almost want to make a second, travel friendly board...but then thats a whole nother project.

Listing the pedals you plan on putting on the board might help, definitely use one of those pedal planner websites to visualize what the board will look like.

For reference my current situation, all on the Novo 24:

Korg Tuner
    zvex FFF
    Alexander Radical Delay
    Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water
    EHX Pitchfork
    EHX Small Stone
    Source Audio LA Lady
    ss/bs mini
    Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop v2
    Boss MD500
    Source Audio Vertigo
    SA Nemesis
    SA Ventris
    SA Soleman MIDI controller
    SA Hub

This all fits quite snugly using planning and pancake plugs. I do also use a volume pedal and an expression pedal off to the side of the board. I don't like treadle type pedals on an inclined board, plus they take up too much space and add weight. Those I carry in a separate bag with extra cables, strings, cloth, etc.

edit: forgot one

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    scott58 and Gallery like this.
  3. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

My "big board" is a Novo 24 and my "small board" is a Novo 18. The Novo 18 just feels so much smaller than the 24 it is ridiculous. I can't imagine a Novo 32, lol. If I could fit everything on the 24 that is what I would do.

Gallery likes this.
  4. Gallery

Thanks. What you've mentioned is exactly my fear that the 32 will just be unruly and unnecessary. I feel like I should be able to accept less. Here's my list:

Current Board

Chase Bliss:
    • Brothers
    • Faves
    • Wombtone
    • Spectre
    • Warped Vinyl
    • Dark World
    Other
    • Strymon Volante
    • Old Blood Noise Procession
    • TC Polytune Mini
    • Cry Baby Wah Mini
    • JJ100 Footswitch

New Board Wish List

Chase Bliss:
    • Brothers
    • Wombtone
    • Spectre
    • Warped Vinyl
    • Dark World
    Strymon
    • Volante
    • DIG
    Other
    • Old Blood Noise Procession
    • Old Blood Noise REVER
    • Sub Decay Prometheus DLX
    • TC Polytune Mini
    • Stomp Under Foot Sonic Generator
    • JJ100 Footswitch
    Plus the midi controller/switcher - Disaster Area?

I'd like to fit one more fuzz if I could, but doubt I can.

5. Gallery

You guys are confirming what I was thinking. Thanks.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

I had a large home made board that was perfect for home practice and had a switcher on it but was unusable for mobile purposes. So I made the hard decision to downsize to a 24 inch board which I could do by shelving some of my pedals that were not used as much and ditching the switcher. This was wonderfully portable for band practice but I missed the pedals and I especially missed my switcher, which needs a lot of real estate to work. So after 4 months of that I bought a used pedaltrain (32 inch) which at least has a bag for carrying and was able to fit most of my pedals and switcher on it. In the end, if you play live and need a switcher you are going to need the bigger board unless you only have a handful of pedals to switch. That has been my experience anyway.

Not Orange and Gallery like this.
  7. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Put the MIDI switcher to the side off the board.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  8. Skip Reid

Skip Reid Supporting Member

You said you were open to suggestions. I just purchased 2 different size boards from Temple Audio.
    I am very pleased with them.

For your size, I would suggest their TRIO series. They offer several different widths. You probably want the Trio 28. That size is made for a switcher on the bottom with room for 2 rows of pedals above the switcher.
    I got the power module and input jack modules as well. Here is my work in progress board. It's just an example. Mine is 24 inches wide. Yours would be quite a bit roomier with 4 extra inches on the sides and an additional row.

[​IMG]

Gallery likes this.
  9. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

go to pedalplayground.com and play with board and effects placement. Amazing and helpful tool for planning.

10. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

2+ years ago I switched from racks to a pedalboard. I had the same dilemma of 24" vs bigger. I deliberately chose the smaller board to keep my self in check with the number of pedals I got. At the time I had not looked into the advancements in pedal tech for a long long long long time.

That self imposed restriction led me to find MIDI and switchers and pedals that have the power of my old racks in a standard MXR box. I was amazed at how much power some pedals had!!!

As a result of that self imposed restriction I have a relatively small, extremely flexible board with a huge sonic palette.

Novo 24 topside
    [​IMG]

Switcher and Power supply below deck. I chose to use a controller that is separate from the switcher, but the initial plan was for something like the Voodoo lab PX8 plus. I have no regrets going with the off board controller.

[​IMG]

Not Orange likes this.
  11. J.Jones

J.Jones Member

That seems doable. Your wishlist would pretty much bring you in line with my setup area wise. Most of those are single size stompboxes, the Volante is really the only big box on there. It wouldnt leave room for a full size switcher, but I was going to suggest looking into a MIDI controlled looper that you could mount underneath. See @FbIsNotE post above. It'll take some smart planning, and the lowest profile plugs you can find probably. I have a ton of cheap Hosa pancake plugs, never had an issue.

12. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

For consideration : adding a 2nd small board to your rig

Not Orange, lefort_1 and Purple_Plexi like this.
  13. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Use the pedal planning websites, they’re incredibly helpful.

14. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

One thing that would eliminate the needed space to get. Midi controller/loop switcher in one housing, like the boss es8 or similar. Or do like @FbIsNotE and mount the switcher under the board.

Not Orange likes this.
  15. Chrishash

Chrishash Member

I have a Novo 32 with ..18 pedals on it. It’s not too unruly, it’s not much wider than a guitar hardcase. I realized if I was carrying a 24 in a soft case, the difference is pretty negligible considering the return. I have a few huge pedals -DMM, Spaceman Orion, Pigtronix Infinity so anything smaller was always a huge headache. It’s nice having enough space, rebuilds are definitely less stressful and more fun. I have a loop switcher after my drives and a remote 4 for a tensor- it’s nice having the controllers along with my fuzz and drives and looper ALL o the bottom row. Unless your biking or taking public transit I don’t really see a reason not to give yourself more space. It is a bit comical- I call it my 5$G Pizza.

Not Orange and lefort_1 like this.
  16. Chrishash

Chrishash Member

Oh yeah- and whatever that law of physics is..it’s true: you WILL fill that “empty” space up. Leftover pedalboard space = leftover crack= scientific impossibility

17. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

I had a novo 22 (one of those weird ones that came in a hard case, but pedaltrain doesn't talk about anymore)...I ultimately "upgraded" to a Pedaltrain Pro - 32" with the hard case as well.

I read a few reviews before I finally got it and most kinda said "hey dummy, this is too big" and even when I picked it up the guy I got it from commented on how carrying it filled with pedals makes you 2nd guess the decision. I went with it anyway and in hindsight, probably would have been better off with 2 or 3 linkable smaller boards.

That said, going to the Pro opened things up for me to add a Boss ES-8 which has changed everything for me. If you have a lot of pedals, going bigger to get a switching system is the only reason to pursue it since the switcher gives you so much control - switching the order, setting parallel loops to mix, having tails on your effects, stacking with a single foot stomp, the list goes on and on...really game changing. As such, I'm keeping my main board as the pro - and yes, it is a tremendous pain to move, but not bad enough that I won't move it. For anything beyond, I'm looking at small boards. I had a bunch of pres and a looper setup on my old novo 22 that is now on metro and nano boards.

18. Struong57

Struong57 Member

I just switched from a Pedaltrain Classic 2 (24” X 12.5”) to a Novo 32 and I love the extra space on my board. The only thing I haven’t been able to figure out yet is how to mount my Voodoo Lab Power Plus 2 to the bottom of my Novo 32 board with the mounting brackets that the PP2 cane with.

Has anyone run into this problem? If so, how were you able to mount your PP2 to the bottom?

19. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Voodoo makes some brackets which they claim will mount their PSUs under a Pedaltrain Novo.
    I haven't used them, so I can't vouch for them. In any case, you probably won't have much choice in the position... they'll be right at the back of the board.

20. JB_SC

JB_SC Supporting Member

I have a Temple Audio Duo 34. It seems stupid big...until you fill it up! :eek:

Not Orange, Gallery and Skip Reid like this.