Moving to Austin, TX

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Transmisser, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

Gave my landlord 30 days notice. Right before the new year I came down with a severe case of wanderlust and have decided to road trip / relocate. I have 1-2 non-music friends out there, but I've heard nothing but good things about the music scene.

Not sure what the hell I'm doing, but I could say the same about my current situation.

To any former / current residents - things to do when I get there?

*Edit*

Just fyi - I'm not moving a whole family, just me, in my mid twenties. As far as my own musical pursuits go, I'm mainly interested in weird / noise / instrumental / ambient / etc . . .
    At this point, my options are very open on where I could end up for the foreseeable future. I'm just trying to find a place that isn't dead musically and won't have an astronomical cost of living. I have a few friends in Austin that are going to let me stay with them until I find something, but if I do end up there I'll probably try to find a living spot close to the city to save some coin.

I haven't ruled out moving into the city (in NY), but the cost and general PITA moving gear to and from gigs is a huge turn off for me. Not to mention that rehearsal spaces are ridiculously expensive.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. mge80

mge80 Member

Before you get there, you could probably search this forum for Austin, TX threads and have enough reading material for the 30 days you have until your lease is up.:roll

3. gearandguitars

gearandguitars Member

North of the city by 20 minutes, great affordable living. Avoid downtown if you can - it's becoming a little los angeles - risk hour traffic is horrible on the mopac. Great city. Great community. Great artists. Economy seems pretty good, both the music economy and tech/general industry. Leave town a week before SXSW and come back a week after - avoid downtown at all costs during SXSW if you can't leave.

4. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

Dude, thank you.

5. Brooks

Brooks Member

austin is great, only texas town i'd move to today (i grew up in dallas).

go see my pals tribute band, THINK LIZZY

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

You'll be up against Eric Johnson and David Grissom, for club gigs. <g>

7. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

No pressure haha

8. gearandguitars

gearandguitars Member

oh, and the alamo draft house cinema's will change your life.

winter is great but short (dec - feb)

by march you are in the 80s. summers are triple digit heat brutal - have good AC everywhere (car, apartment, house, work, everywhere)

mosquitoes can be so thick as to look like light rain - make sure you have plenty of mosquito repellent - if outdoors, have the big catchers.

people are generally nice and want to be helpful if they can.

9. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

Don't be scared OP, except for the traffic, that **** is truly nightmarish.

10. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

Yeah, I expect that will be weird for me at first since I was born and raised in NY.

11. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

If you like barbeque, go to the Salt Lick in Driftwood. You'll thank me later.

12. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

At least you will be able to get good Mexican food now bro!!

Welcome to TEXAS..!!!

The best place EVER..!!

13. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I've been here for 3 years playing as much as I can. Downtown music scene is ok, I'll play on 6th st a lot in order to pay my rent. The cool clubs are on south congress and the east side of I35. I definitely love it here and am constantly inspired by all the bad ass musicians here.

14. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Supporting Member

Spent a few weeks in Austin recently. Very cool town. The 6th St music scene didn't seem very happening. It seemed like most classic rock cover bands, but I heard a lot of great stuff in other parts. Did the BBQ thing too. Went to Le Barbeque, Franklin (that line!), John Mueller, Salt Lick, Stiles, Ruby's and made the trek out to Black's in Lockhart. For me it was a tie between John Mueller and Le Barbeque. As far as bars the Whip In was my favorite, as well as The White Horse. Both of which have live music. Oh, and the tacos! It's anything goes in Taco-land in Austin. I lived in Los Angeles for 13 years and thought I knew all about tacos, but in Austin they take it to a whole new place.

15. Stike

Stike Member

I love Austin but http://toloachenyc.com/mobile/home.html

It's great, no ********.

OP. If you like cocktails check out Midnight Cowboy, Half Step, and Wonderland.

16. evhtone

evhtone Member

La Barbeque is the ONLY bbq in Austin as far as I'm concerned.

17. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

A friend of mine just moved out to get married and live in Dallas. There's a place for you now.

18. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I've been in Austin since the early 90s. Love this town, but like anywhere, it has it's problems...

If possible, I would find a place to live at least on the same side of town as your work. Driving back and forth across town anywhere near 'rush hour' can be a pain.

Go see Redd at the Continental on Saturday afternoon. Watch the Saxon schedule for David Grissom, David Holt, etc. Jimmie Vaughan plays at the Continental and C-Boys on occasion... There are a LOT of crazy good players here. Lots of inspiration... and lots of competition.

It's also quite a foodie town, not just BBQ, but the Q is great (also a quick trip to Lockhart, just a little south of town has great Q, too)

Finally, we've been dealing with a bit of a drought, but in the summer, the lakes are a great solution to the heat. As is Barton Springs.

Holla if you need anything local...

19. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    I think you should check out SXSW just to experience it, so you can get an idea of what it's all about. So you will know why you need to avoid it in the future.

20. Jven

Jven Supporting Member

Agree... No disrespect but Texas IS the best state..