Moving to Hawaii -- HELP!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Michael_V, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Well, the good news is we're moving to a gorgeous oceanfront home on Oahu. The bad news is there is no AC, and I'm told the salt air quickly corrodes electronics. That would be my pedals. My amp. My guitar. Ugh. Does anyone have ANY idea how I can keep these safe?

2. Martyk

Martyk Member

I live there part time, and yes, without a/c there's little hope of avoiding the corrosion from the humidity, but also mostly from the salt. Maybe a dehumidifier would help, plus proper storage, but that's a decent trade off for living in Paradise!

3. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

Do they not have electricity?

You are going to have problems with more things than music gear, computer, TV etc...

Get an AC, you will be much happier/healthier in the end.

4. doc

doc Member

I think you should ship all your really good stuff to me for safekeeping. Think of your responsibility to future generations of guitar lovers.

5. doc

doc Member

Seriously, I almost had this same problem myself - we considered briefly a move to American Samoa. Two of the factors that slowed us down were our dogs and my guitars.

6. Michael_V

Or I could stay here with my stuff and you can go live in the beach house, ha ha!

7. doc

doc Member

DEAL!!!

(Oh, here's a pic of me out in the surf shortly after arriving in Hawaii - :drown).

8. stringman340

stringman340 Member

I'm originally from the islands - Guam (where?!) - and we used to do reggae on a Sunday at a beach bar. Bad news is, the salt air will accelerate corrosion. Hardware, pickups, fretboard gunk - its all gonna happen if you end up playing virtually anywhere outside. I always wiped all my gear down after a set, and I eventually left the stands home and put my guitars in their cases and covers on the pedals & amp during breaks. High maintenance for sure, but that's the price for paradise I guess. On the other hand, you'll be fine with indoor gigs of course. Still, you should always be aware of the salt air which is ALWAYS around you when you live in HI. Wish I could tell you that I never had to replace hardware every other year or so, but........

In the end, you'll adapt and get over it and accept that you get to jam in friggin paradise. Unless you're a diva ;)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  9. stringman340

stringman340 Member

In Guam we rust, haha! Can't say it isn't true ;) But man, I miss the beauty and vibe of a tropical island...

Hey - I remember a few gigs down at the Naval base: y'all party haaaard!!

10. Gear-Junkie

Gear-Junkie Supporting Member

Basically, your gear is toast...

11. Michael_V

Thanks... :(

12. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

wait...forget the rusted gear

how did you make this happen ??

13. zenitB

zenitB Supporting Member

Get bags of silica gel or other desiccant and keep them in your cases and stuffed into your combos before you cover them. The dessicant can be dried-out in the oven -which is good because it wont last long in the islands. Get a can of contact cleaner for your switches, pots and jacks. A dehumidifier is a super idea and there are compact units available. I have a friend who has a dehumidifier in his garage on the big island; he gets more than a gallon per day out of it!

14. Michael_V

Got lucky/blessed and was offered a job on Oahu. Pretty cool...

15. Michael_V

So based on the advice I'm getting, I'm planning to invest in sealable cases for my PT Pro and Matchless amp (flight cases). Packets of silica gel to put inside the cases. And a dehumidifier.

16. socalscott

socalscott Member

Switch to cheap gear, as to have no worries.

17. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

I live in essentially the same climate, and build/repair guitars and amps for a living as well as play out quite often, and to add to what's been said already:

Dessicant. I buy the reusable mil-spec tins from Micro-mart hobby, and they live in the guitar cases - invaluble for those times when I forget to pull the guitars out of the cases after stuffing them, along with a sweat-soaked strap, into the cases after a gig - the next morning the strap's dry as a bone, and there's never that nasty mould smell so indicative of a over-humidified condition.

Keep all your stuff in a room w/ a.c. - it takes days for the guitars, a bit less for amps, to be affected by the humidity, so play gigs to your hearts content, just know that the place your gear spends MOST of it's time should be dry.

...oh, you also will want to learn to surf.

18. Michael_V

Great advice! Thanks!

19. cap47

cap47 Member

Get a ukelelee and make it your main go to instrument! :)

20. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Supporting Member

I live in Hawaii on Oahu. Gear corrosion sucks out here, but a lot of other things don't. I change strings way more than I did on the mainland. I drop a towel over my pedal board and amp when not playing. It's probably best to keep you choice gear in cases unless you don't care. If you are living ocean front and have never done that, you are in for a lot more surprises beyond your music gear. I used to live on a hill that caught direct ocean breeze (not complaining here...) and I think I went through 3 computer screens in 2 years. Feel free to pm or email me and I'd be happy to try and answer questions.