Moving To The Classic Marshall Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DirtyJerzey, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

I’m looking to move away from the D sound and into more of a classic hot rod Marshall tone, in the spirit of Gary Moore. The 2x12 Fuchs ODS-75 I’m using for jam nights is not the right fit for the tone I’m seeking. It’s an amazing amp, but I just miss that Marshall crunch. So I’m thinking a low wattage head/cab rig, hopefully with a 1x12 cab. I would like something with channel switching, or at least a lead boost. I don’t really like to use pedals. The Fargen stuff looks good, but it seems that they are single channel. The Splawn stuff also looks good, but I’m thinking something in a lower power range, somewhere under 50W. I really need something on the light side that’s portable and gives me that sound.

Any thoughts for me?

Edit:
    I need it to be in the area of about $1300, or basically whatever I can get on a trade for the Fuchs.

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Here's the deal. I was in the same boat as you and hated pedals. I build my own amps and always cranked them up with attenuators for that sound.

problem was, I started to find issues with higher gain and lower gain and clean.

I also learned that channel switchers always tended to give me some sort of tradeoff. I even built two separate amps and tried the head switcher no good. Swither was a problem with noise.

I reluctantly bought a pedal. And I think its really the answer to all your needs.

Carl Martin Plexitone. I know you say you don't want a pedal, but its got the versatility you want with crunch, gain, and boost. Also, you can KEEP your fuchs so you have options.

Here are a couple of demo clips I made last night at whisper volumes using an attenuator:

Crunch Mode

Higher Gain Mode

EDIT: a clip done after learning the pedal a bit better:
    Plexitone Highgain 2

Plextione Highgain 2 Wet

What you're asking for is extremely difficult, especially in your budget. You want channel switching and authentic marshall crunch, but the amp is going to need to be blisteringly loud to get that. Which means attenuator.

If I where in your spot, and REALLY wanted an amp. I'd find a late 70s JMP master volume and an attenuator. But Then you've got to find speakers, so the $1300 is going to get spent fast. Also, you want light and portable. It comes down to what are you willing to sacrifice?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Take a look at the Carol Ann Triptik. Awesome amp and the best channel switcher in the classic to hotrodded Marshall territory.
    Rene

4. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Alternatively, buy a reissue JTM-45, put a decent set of tubes in it and use a MK1 Guv'nor. Worked for Gary on Still Got Blues just fine. If thats the tone you want, then why not just use the same gear. If you want an earlier GM tone, then you are looking at a '73 Marshall (Superbass) with Boss pedals. Later JCM-2000. You will have to stretch further than $1300 a bit though for any of those.

5. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Simply not true. Some, yes, not all.

6. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Neither the Carol Ann OD3 nor the Triptik compromise in terms of tone quality in any of their channel modes. It is like each of them are 3 different amps with the addition of the awesome lead master. All the other channel switching amps I have tried demanded noticable to significant compromises however.
    Rene

7. weese77

weese77 Member

He seemed to get along with the DSL heads pretty well. Any reason not to try the combo version of those?

Unless they're drastically inferior to the heads, they should fit your power and portability requirements (and can be had for as little as 400 bucks).

8. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Compromise tone quality? What does that mean? They compromise quite a bit if your measurement is next to real Marshall tones.

Real Marshall tones are messy, hard to control. Hard as rock. and RAW. Even though the amps you mention sound great, and would be wonderful for many players. They are simply too smooth, too controlled, and too much removed from "Classic Marshall Tones" This is my opinion. Which tends to bend the opposite of most on this forum who seem to focus a lot on smooth and pleasant but seem to forget details. Raw Marshall isn't pleasant to my ears. Its a sound of attitude and chaos that shines the strongest in a band setting.

Try to think of it in terms of "would Slash or Angus play it..."

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  9. Balok

Balok Member

JCM 900 50 watt 2x12 combo. Can be found for $500 on CL.
    Swap in one Vintage 30 and one Jensen C12N.
    Mod per my post here.(5 minutes- involves a few snips and a jumper)

10. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

No. the combos are nothing like the heads. AVOID!!

11. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

I was thinking a dsl combo but I heard they have problems. Besides, i reallt want to move away from using combo amps, I just prefer a head/cab. Maybe a 50w dsl head and a 1x12 will give me what I'm looking for. I personally prefer a channel switcher, I can live with the sacrifice, within reason.

12. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

The dsl 50 head is a fine amp. Also, check out the haze...it may surprise you. The vintage modern is also a great amp that can be had for around the same price as a used dsl.

13. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

The new Carvin Legacy 3 is worth checking out - just out at NAMM 29 pounds 15 to 100 watts nice cleans and very good Marshall Crunch judging from short demo, and also a 3rd very high gain but smooth channel.

14. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

Wow...thank you for writing this. Very well said and probably not very well understood around here. I agree.

15. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I usually do not quote other's full posts, but this one is so spot-on, I am breaking my rule. I can't speak to specific pedals, but for what you're looking for... this is right, imho. Yeah, I get that you don't like pedals... I'm not a pedal fan either... but given your budget and desires, well, sounds like a pedal to me.

16. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Nice post.

17. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

Yes, it seems to me that a lot of Marshall inspired amps tend to be a little too smooth, and slightly processed sounding. Not processed as in digital, but processed as in the sound that winds up on an album, as opposed to the live, raw, blistering tone of the simple Marshall circuit. Not a bad thing. Just different.

18. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Another option is searching out a Trace Elliott Speed Twin head. GM used them for a while and have that Marshall-ish upper midrange snarl, but seem to be a bit more controllable. Seriously underrated amps.

19. Wedge

Wedge Supporting Member

Granger Amps makes a V20 head that sounds great and is new for around your budget.

Also Splawn has a 40 watt Streetrod that might be found used for near your budget that's a sounding Marshally amp.

20. Balok

Balok Member

You might try a decent eq in the loop, maybe a parametric, and dip the Fuchs around 2.2k. Also try from 1.2k to 3k. One of the biggest differences in the Dumble school amps is the mid density. With those mids dipped, the lows and highs will pop out more, and you'll hear some Marshally sizzle. You might also try kicking it up at 10k with a shelf setting. EQs are all very different, some boost real well, others scoop real well.