Mower wouldn't run right, cleaned the carb 5 times, turns out...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by russ, Jul 5, 2019.

1. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Ya, well no. ;) It was an insidious problem of the gas cap seals leaking rain water into the wing tanks... then with the wrinkles in the rubber fuel bladder preventing the water from settling to the low point where the fuel drains are. Of course when you fly, you bank the airplane in turns and the water finds the fuel feed point to the engine. The engine was a Continental IO-520, rated at 285 hp. I loved flying the P206. It was basically a 3/4 ton pickup truck with wings.

I found out that you grab a wing tip before preflight and shake the airplane pretty hard. Then wait a bit for the water to find the low point. Ultimately, we discovered the gas cap gaskets were not sealing. Amazing how a simple little thing (wing tank gas cap gasket) can potentially kill ya.

BTW, true story about that P206. In the 80's, it was confiscated in a drug bust in South Florida by the PBSO (Palm Beach Sheriff's Office). It went up for auction and a friend of a friend bought it for $15K. (Currently they sell new ones for almost $700K) My friend's father worked for PBSO and gave us a head's up of the auction. The other friend had the cash and was high bidder. Because of the connection, we got to fly 133JK for free except for gas and oil. You just can't beat that deal!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    twinrider1 and Bobbybigbucks like this.
  2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Ethanol Shield

/thread

I run it in 30 year old lawnmower, 24 year old outboard, snow blower, leaf blowers, old car .... zero problems with water contamination even after long storage. I have no connection other than buying it.. :YinYang

3. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

4. HendrixVibrato

HendrixVibrato Have some experience... Silver Supporting Member

Which is why the preflight routine always includes checking the fuel in every tank on the plane. You know, the little poke-cup we use to grab a sample from each tank from underneath the wing, so that the heavier fluids (like water, always the #1), which are settled in the tanks & thus immediately seen in the cup. don't end up surprising us out over the ocean...... must have been scary, dude.

Damned sure glad to see that you survived it!!!

5. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Yep! Ironically, was not jelly legged until tying up the 206 at Key West. Had a few extra adult beverages that night. Had to fly it back to PBI in 3 days. The return flight was uneventful.

You must have read what I posted in this thread that the wrinkles in the rubber fuel bladder were preventing the water from getting to the low point. You could check for water and not see any.... UNTIL you grabbed the wing tips and shook the airplane. ;)