MP Deep Blue Delay Users...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock72, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I am considering one of these as my new amp doesn't have an effects loop, and I've heard that this works great in front of the amp. I've also found out that it will cover some of my needs (thanks 'majorledhead'). The last thing I'm wanting to know is, will the DBD be able to approximate some of U2's delay sound (think pride, streets....). I know that the Edge's delay sound is treated like science ala Stephen Hawkings, but I only need an approximation of his sound. Before the Edge's delay became rocket-science, he used a DMM....:)

Thanks,
    Christian

2. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

I own one and would think u should be able to get close!!!!;) mine is number 52 and all the other delays left....:D

3. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

My understanding is that the Deep Blue delay is great out in front of the amp and does well with distortion because it's digital...probably the warmest digital I've ever heard. I spent some time with one and it sounded a bit darker than what I've heard from the Edge. I'm not familar with his rig, but if he did in fact use a DMM, perhaps it's just my rig or my ears playing tricks on me (the DMM is also notoriously dark). That said, I'm pretty sure the Edge uses a lot of dotted eighth delays, which, as far as I know, the MP DBD does not have. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong!

From my experience, the MP DBD is great if you want something simple. While it definitely wouldn't replace my Timefactor or DL4, if I needed the room and decided I could do without the tap tempo and modulation, I might dump my Memory Lane for it (although, that's a lot of "if's" :) ).

Just one last note: The DBD's ability to deal well with dirt will help a lot, I think. On a couple occasions I found myself cranking up the volume on my AC30 and the drive on my King of Tone...talk about huge tones!

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Sounds great. I am looking for something rather simple, which also can be used in front of the amp. Thanks 'Thisfire' for the info. I know I may come across as ignorant here, but I'm not quite sure what 'dotted eighth delays' are :eek:. I do in fact have the Timefactor. It is great, but perhaps to many "bells and whistles" for me. I haven't even changed the bank presets. I intend to test it fully out with my 'new' amp when I get it back from service/tube change. I do usually do most of my drive from pedals, but my amp is only 20w (loud 20w), so there is of course the potential for some amp drive mudding up the sound... Which is why I am looking at the MP DBD...

5. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

rock72...........Deep blue Delay works super with my Landgraff mo"d and Ldo....also the fetto and any bjf or bjfe pedal distortion or overdrives...............;)

6. nsriley

nsriley Member

I use my DBD infront of very gainy amps and with pedals as well. It works great as long as you keep it's level under control, which for me is never much above 9 o'clock. Sounds very warm and natural and can get you into that Edge delay time as well.

7. Rock72

Rock72 Member

:AOK I use BJF HB, DRD as well as the LDO, so that's great. I will give it a shot!

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Thanks for that. This is the kind of answers I've been looking for!!

9. davetcan

davetcan Supporting Member

Exactly :dude

I find I like it less the more I dial the level up, but under 9 o'clock it's just great.

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

same here on the level...otherwise I find the delay to overpowering and I lose my attack and punch...

Chow,
    Seegs

11. ed84246

ed84246 Member

This was what I wanted to know about it. It's a very different story running dirt pedals before a delay which usually isn't a problem. But the most difficult thing is running a delay pedal in front of a gainy amp. Most delays I've had were just too over the top with alot of amp gain. I would try to set the level low, but at one point, it was just like an on/off switch, you would turn the level knob a hair and all of a sudden there was just this wash of in your face delay. Turn it lower and the delay sound is completely gone. I have a 10 watt single-ended EL-34 amp that Mark Cameron modded for me and gets great early EVH tones. But it has no effects loop and it's very hard to find delays that are subtle enough to do early VH without being overwhelming. Will the Deep Blue Delay help me out here?

12. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Awesome. Pay $300+ for a rebote delay. You could have the same thing from BYOC for about $75.