MP Deep Blue Delay vs. Analog Man AR20DL

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Seegs, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Seegs

Seegs Member

I looked and couldn't find any threads directly comparing these two delays...I'd like to hear from anyone who has had both...

I have a 300ms Analog Man AR20DL and love it but sometimes think I could use a tad more delay time...

reports on the DBD say that there is a ticking sound in the upper delay ranges and the repeats tend to smear and distort as well yet in the clips I've heard it sounds nothing but excellent...are these issues deal breakers? Anyone kept one over the other or maybe have both?

I use the AM delay at the end of my chain just before my amp and sounds fantastic clean and with gain pedals going through it...

it is very touch sensitive and is subtle when I pick soft and more prominent when I pick hard...it's also warm but has enough cut to sit perfectly in the mix...

what can I expect from the DPD in the above regards and is there room to keep both or is it an either or thing...

any insights greatly appreciated...

Chow,
    Seegs

2. playon

playon Supporting Member

Do a google search for those pedals, there are some video demos on youtube and google that show these pedals pretty well.

3. teXum

teXum Member

Sorry Seegs, I don't own both, but I own the DBD, and have briefly tried the Analogman one. With regards to the DBD's noisy artifacts, yes, they are there, and can be heard quite well when playing alone at home, but (as with a lot of both positive and negative qualities with different types of gear) you'll have to se pretty extreme settings for it to be heard in rehearsal/live situations. I also believe that this ticking, and the "distortion" on the repeats are an inherent part, or more a "by-product" of what makes the DBD sound so good. Especially the "distorted" tails of the repeats make me think of analog tape saturation, which probably is why the DBD often is said to be emulating a tape delay more than an anaog delay.

The repeats on the DBD seems to "sit" very well on the original tone, even with uncritical delay time settings, and, since it is more of a "colored" type of delay, I like it very much for more "ambience"-types of delays.

I also have the Retro-Sonic Analog Delay on my board, which is more of a clear, but warm and "bold" sounding delay, which I tend to use for short delay settings, slapback and the like. A bit hard to remember exactly how the Analogman delay sounded, but to my recollection, it sounded a bit thinner than my Retro-Sonic. Anyway, for me, it's definitively worth it to have both the DBD and the RS on my board, they offer a bit different delay qualities, enough to be useful, again, IMHO. If you only want to have one delay, and like the clear, analog qualities of the Analogman one, you could either try to get his 600ms version, or you could check out the Retro-Sonic, which also is 600ms.

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

thanx Playon I've heard the clips and actually like the DBD clips a whole bunch better but the AM delay sounds great in person and much better than the posted clips I've heard...

I was hoping for a live in person assessment comparing them...

Texum that sounds pretty cool and I doubt I will use extreme settings...I am mostly looking for space on my clean tones and some thickening when soloing...

the AM just sounds really great for my needs and is a very musical delay but the DBD has also been calling my name...

I will soon be able to compare them in person as I just pulled the trigger on a DBD...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I heard that you can get your AR20DL modded to XL specs if you need more delay time :)

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

thanx Mike I didn't know mine could be modded...I thought I had to buy a 600ms version and the reason I didn't was due to that other thread comparing the 300 to the 600 version and the apparent tonal differences...the 300ms sounds so good and melds so perfectly with my guitar tone I just didn't want to take a chance and mess with it...

although Mr. Munkys clips do sound stellar...hmmmm...let me think about it:D

Chow,
    Seegs

7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

There is little sound difference between the 300mS and 600mS. The only one I find is that the delay output is a little stronger on the 600mS, so the knob controlling the delay volume is a little sensitive. Have fun!

8. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I think they would work fantastic together. I plan on getting an AR20 down the road and have a MP DBD right now and its amazing.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

I don't know guys I got my DBD the other day and have been hard at work testing...reconfiguring my chain and scratching my head ever since...the AM delay just has something that I really really really like...its hard to put a finger on but maybe it has something to do with the fact that I tuned my chain to the AM delay and its buffer...

when I stuck the DBD in place of the AM without a buffer something was missing...the DBD is more dominant and has a stronger more powerful tone while the AM delay just melds with my sound and is extremely musical...it reacts to my playing and can be in the background with light picking and gets more prominent the harder I pick...the DBD kind of takes over my sound and doesn't seem as touch sensitive...

I put the DBD after my Klon and like it better with a buffer in line...here it has some promise and I was able to get it to sound and react more to my liking...

so now I am looking at putting together two seperate pedals one for strats and tele and one for my 335...each featuring a different delay which I like to leave on all the time for some thickening when playing both clean and dirty...so far the AM delay is perfect when used this way...great job Mike...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. playon

playon Supporting Member

That's funny, I have both pedals here now, and I came to the opposite conclusion. The AM delay sounded better to me at home when I A/B'd them. However when I took the AM delay to the gig, I didn't like the way it sat in the mix as much. I know what you mean about the DBD -- the repeats are darker and thicker sounding compared to the AM delay -- however I think I prefer this for short repeats as I think it sounds more like a real tape echo. It's like Bjorn came up with a really good digital copy of an echoplex sound. I also will be using a line driver with the pedal which keeps the high end happening real nice (Catalinbread Chile Picoso, a nice little tool).

I fully expected to be selling the DBD after getting the AM but I think it's going to be the opposite. The AM repeats sound a bit thinner but of course that might be exactly what some people will like about it. They are very different, that's for sure. The AM available delay time is VERY short, even shorter than my old Aqua-Puss. The buffer in the AM pedal does sound very good, no worries there.

Anyway it just goes to show you that everyone hears differently and likes different things -- which is why asking someone which sounds "better" is kind of a dead end, a lot of times there isn't any consensus, it's a matter of taste, musical style, playing environment, etc etc.

BTW I have never heard any "ticking sound" out of my DBD, it's always worked perfectly for me, perhaps some of the earliest pedals had problems, although I bought mine soon after they were released.

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

I don't need a whole bunch of delay time nor do I use slapback...the AM at about 2 OC is perfect as I use it as a pseudo verb on cleans and for thickening on solos...it sounds amazing and sits very nicely live...I know what you mean about how it sits in the mix live as sometimes it dissapears but I've found that how you hit the strings determines how it sits in the mix...it's very controllable and very musical which I like a whole lot...

RE the DBD in my case reducing the blend control to about 8.30 helped quite a bit for my needs...I am beginning to get the hang of it and know what you mean about it sitting in the mix...used in this way I think it will sit fine in spite of the darker warmer repeats...

So far I do find that it needs a buffer and that is where the AM delay shines as it doesn't...

m DBD ticks at very extreme settings that I would never use...the ticking is very subtle but audible and certainly not a deal breaker for me...

I am going to keep working with it for a bit and see what happens...

Chow,
    Seegs

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Wow, this is soooo weird! I've got an EP2 and I've had a DBD for a week or two and to my ears they are NOTHING alike! The DBD has the delay EQ'd to lose bass and treble frequencies, so even with long series of repeats it doesn't step on the notes you're playing in front of it. It's killer for what it does and as far as I know, it's the ONLY delay set up to do that. The EP2, on the other hand, loses treble as the delays repeat and has the tape wobble. A closer match to it would be something like the Diamond Delay.