MP Mighty Red Distortion- Rat Type Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by critter74, Feb 11, 2012.

1. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

So in doing some research about Rat pedals and their variants and clones, I came across an old TGP thread where someone mentioned that the BJFE Dyna Red was not a Rat clone, but a Rat type pedal.

So, if this is true, my understanding is that the Mighty Red and Dyna Red are pretty close to the same pedal. So it safe to assume that the Mighty Red is also a Rat type pedal?

So what says you...

2. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I would not say it's a Rat type pedal. They both can cover the same gain territory but the Dyna Red is more Marshally to me than the Rat. The Rat is a really good distortion but the Dyna Red sounds and feels like a cranked plexi. The Mighty Red is it's own pedal entirely than the Dyna Red but has similar theory (no direct circuit relation or one did not evolve into the other).

I have had more than a few Rats and I have a Bearfoot Dyna Red. The bf Dyna Red is absolutely worth it and my favorite dirt pedal live!

3. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Totally agree with Hulakatt.

The DRD is an awesome pedal & much more Rat-like (i.e. 80's Marshall) than the MRD, which is more modern sounding to me.