MP Tiny Orange Phaser

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by radiohedzz, Mar 27, 2008.

1. radiohedzz

radiohedzz Member

Has anybody compared the Mad Professor Tiny Orange Phaser to similar phasers?

I'm considering shelling out the $375 for this pedal based on the soundclips here: http://www.thesegoto11.se/
    But the amp in the demo is a $6000 amp and the player is phenomenal; plus he has a backing band in the demo. So it is kinda hard to know how much the pedal contributes to the great sounds i'm hearing.

I'm looking for any comparisons with the Red Witch Moon Phaser or the MXR '74 Phaser or the Retro-Sonic Phaser.
    I've checked out the Proguitarshop demos for the aforementioned pedals and only the MXR demo really appealed to me. Thanks.
    ProguitarShop MXR '74 Phase 90

2. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

Have not compared the Tiny Orange to any of those phasers, but I can tell you I don't have a $6000 amp or a backing band and the phaser still sounds quite good, and exceptionally versatile.

3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

right - its unique in a few ways -
    its very low noise
    its specificaly voiced for guitar (most are voiced to accomodate the range of a keyboard
    and the Mix knob is 'it' for me..... on one side its like a standard sinewave phaser on the other its shaped like a univvibe wobble and you can dial it down from %100 to just a touch of modulation which is really nice....

so between its guitar voicing, very low noise and the versatility of the mix knob its very tasty and useful (and small) ......:AOK

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

5. erksin

erksin Member

Weak dollar FTL...

6. radiohedzz

radiohedzz Member

Yes, it's the most expensive pedal in the Mad Professor line. I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a true bypassed MXR vintage 74 Phase 90 and save $200.

7. bluntage

bluntage Member

I, too, have been eyeing the MP TOP and am thinking the same thing... that's a lot of clams!

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Yeah, I was really thinking it was going to be just under 3 bills which would still be a lot for me to pay for a phaser but if it would end my search I would do it. At almost $400 it's not even an option.

9. Don Rusk

right its going to be the most expensive MP.... apparantly it was rather difficult to get all of it into that smaller box and make it that quiet...... yeah its a serious phaser and may be more than many would need , but it might also end many peoles search too...... just depends as always....:AOK

10. bluntage

bluntage Member

Hey Donner,

How convincing are the "vibe" sounds? If it's quite good, it might end my search for two pedals!

Thanks,
    Brad

11. Don Rusk

yeah thats kind of the plan - by being voiced specifically for guitar and have the waveform variation and mix it could be your only modulation ...

Ill do a proper video soon....:AOK

12. radiohedzz

radiohedzz Member

Anyone have any tone comparisons for the Tiny Orange? Can I get close with the vintage 74 Phase 90, minus all the extra features?

13. bluntage

bluntage Member

Excellent, looking forward to it! :AOK

14. Don Rusk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDfUf40VoLo

well heres a simple 'controls tour'

you get an idea of how the controls interact... like what the two sides of the mix knob do , you can hear the phase 90 ish side vs the vibish side wavforms and rolls....

15. jjnews

jjnews Member

It sure sounds good!
    Here in Finland it cost 513$ ( 325 € ):messedup
    It is cheaper to order it from states than buy it here...( 375$ + 25$ shipping + 100$ customs, VAT = 316€)

16. bluntage

bluntage Member

Sounds nice! Thanks, DonneR!