MP200 - Morgan Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Mastervolume, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

After 6 months of design my bass amp is ready. I went back and forth with designing a smaller b15 style amp but after talking with a bunch of gigging bass players I realized that the smaller power section just doesn't cut it with most drummers. Better to have more than what you need but in a package that is about a half the weight as an original SVT.

[​IMG]

The MP200 bass amp provides 200W of all tube power through a quartet of KT88 tubes.
    The output transformer has been specifically designed with mercury magnetics to provide a low end that extends past the audible range. You may not be able to hear it but I guarantee that you will FEEL it!
    The tone stack consists of treble, mid, bass and a focus control. The focus control shifts the midrange sweep of the entire stack allowing you to dial in just the right amount of cut. All of this in a 42 pound 24x9.5x9 package.
    • volume, treble, mid, bass and focus controls.
    • SOZO caps in the tone stack
    • F&T precision German made filter caps
    • 8 and 4 ohm outputs
    • Custom designed Mercury Magnetics transformers that work at below audible frequencies.
    • 3 12AX7
    • 4 KT88

2. markw1980

markw1980 Supporting Member

Wow! Have you figured out how much it will cost? I am just getting back into playing bass, and that looks like it would be perfect for most any room.

3. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

Pricing is on the website

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

5. never-enough

never-enough Member

6. TJSmitty

TJSmitty Member

I'm saving for one as we speak.

7. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I wish you'd caugfht me back in the days of my youth when I did not mind carrying 42 lbs of amp around. Now my spkr cab weighs 28lbs.!

Looks cool!

8. nad

nad Member

Looks awesome. 42 pounds and a KT88 quartet sounds like a winning combination to me!

How clean/dirty does it get when cranked?

9. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

it is really freaking loud when cranked but ince you get the volume up past 2 o'clock you will start getting some hair around the highs once you are up at 3 0'clock it will get really mean but like all of my amps stays clean if you back off your attack.

10. Matticus

Matticus Member

Looks fantastic. I would gladly show this off around Houston. :D

Regarding the "B-15" comment, would you say the amp is voiced to be like a big brother to a B-15 or is it tonally somewhere different?

11. Matticus

Matticus Member

I hope you don't mind but I posted a new thread about this on talkbass.

12. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

nothing like the B15. The b15 is really similar in design theory to a bassman or most guitar amps. In fact most b15's are even cathode biased. This makes them a bit more agressive than a bassman and really cool sounding but also makes them give up the goods very quickly.

THe tone stack in the MP200 is not SVT and it is not B15. It is my own deal. I say that it is similar to the SVT in that the design ideal of the SVT is one where the amp delivers big clean lowend for the largest portion of the volume sweep and then starts to get dirty.

Honestly if someone wants a b15 style bass amp (like most boutique builders who even offer a bass amp) I could do that for 1500.00

on another note my 4x10 bass cab arrived yesterday.....

[​IMG]

13. nad

nad Member

Cool, thanks. This one will definitely be on my radar later next year.

I'm currently using a Trace V-Type head and love how it doesn't really distort when cranked, but rather just gets angry.

14. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Reviving this thread since there is so little info out there that I've been able to find. Anyone pick one of these up and try it? I just scored one with a road case for a steal and am curious on some other owner's favorite settings and comparisons.

Thanks!

15. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

I haven't had any playing experience with this amp, but I was at a concert for Green River Ordinance and their bass player has one. It has a radical sound for rock bass and the best way to describe what I heard is just plain thick and meaty. I've never been a huge of SVT sounds, but even though this amp seemed to be somewhat similar tonally it definitely had a more aggressive sound, and I think it still sounded a lot tighter as well.

The low end was real tight, the midrange was fat and raw but did not seem as unnatural as SVTs do to me, and the high end had a bit of an edge but was still somewhat rolled off.

I think the way the bassist had it set may have something to do with the high end roll off and the prominent but not honky midrange. It didn't really sound distorted, but at the same time it kinda did. It just had a really natural sounding EQ didn't have any sharp peaks or valleys anywhere, and it had a nice aggressive, but not fuzzy sound.

Not necessarily my cup of tea for the way I play (I like big, open, clean and clear with some mids for a bit of fatness), but it sounded REALLY nice in the mix in that bassist's hands. It could probably do the big clean and clear thing, but I've already got that covered with my Bassman 300 Pro...never use the overdrive channel just have it set right where I like it with the EQ and compression.

Wish I could say more, but I've only heard it...however, it was quite impressive to me.

16. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Was going to get the new Super Bassman...but Fender kind of jerked me around saying they had some in-stock and then three weeks later nothing and then the "oh, that's back ordered until the end of May." I said no, thanks - off to the talkbass.com forum and I got a great deal on the MP200. Loving it :)

17. bobotwt

bobotwt Member

Curious if anyone has ever tried running a guitar through one of these.

Josh

18. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

All these high power all-tube heads--makes me want to take up the bass!