MP3 Player needed NOT apple

CC Overdrive

Hey guys...anyone out there using a non apple MP3 player? I know a lot of people just use their phones for these things, but there are a few places where I don't want to be distracted by carrying a full on mobile device, and just listen to tunage.

I'm thinking one of the new Sony Walkman. Are any of the current players that are non apple that w still sync with iTunes as well as other interfaces? If possible, I'd still like like to use my old itunes, but get away from the apple shenanigans.

Expandable memory is a plus.

Thanks!

MickeyJi

I have a couple of the older model SanDisk Sansa Clips. If you want, small, cheap and great sounding try to find one of those. Sony is very good, their high-res players sound absolutely brilliant. You can just drag and drop music from your harddisc to both - and both Sony and (the older ones, at least) Sansa sound better than Apple in general, IMO. (I have an iPod touch, too). Otherwise, Cowon used to make really good mp3 players too, don't know if the company is still around, though.

jimmyj

Like you I like having my tunes separate from my phone. I have the 16g Walkman and it works great for me. I previously had the 8g and ran out of room. I don't know about syncing with iTunes. I was given an iPod that I gave away because I didn't want to switch over to the apple world since I had all my tunes via amazon/windows/rippedCDs on my laptop.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I have a Sony walkman and it's great! Sound quality is awesome.... I have a couple hundred albums on there and still have more room. The best part is, NO iTunes!! Just drag and drop your MP3 folders and organize them like you want. I was so stoked with the first one I bought a second one just in case they quit making them.

CC Overdrive

I guess I don't get the point of having a non Apple hardware, but still using I tunes? Their hardware is great, ITunes sucks in some ways. I bought a used Ipod off Ebay for $23 and it's been far better than the non Apple one I bought previously.
Mainly because I know with other apple users in the house, I know I'll still be using iTunes on occasion for one thing or another, so I'll probably continue to use it.

MickeyJi

I guess I don't get the point of having a non Apple hardware, but still using I tunes? Their hardware is great, ITunes sucks in some ways. I bought a used Ipod off Ebay for $23 and it's been far better than the non Apple one I bought previously.
i actually like iTunes - for me it's worked flawlessly for the ten years I've had a Mac as my main rig. It's neat and as long as you store all your music files in one folder, there shouldn't be any problems - at least not on a Mac. Apparently iTunes for Windows isn't quite as elegant and foolproof. But I use iTunes mainly for playing music off my harddisc, the mp3 players get loaded without using iTunes, I just copy the albums I want from the iTunes folder.

slybird

Sansa Clip+ if you can still get one for less than $50. I own three of them, just awesome, battery life, sound, variable speed for podcasts, removable memory, FM radio, memo recorder, and small.

Reviews on Sansa Clip Sport are mixed, but not because of sound. UI and freezing are the main issues.

EricPeterson

It is really too bad they dont make the Sansa Clip+ anymore. I wish I would have bought a pile of them before they were discontinued.

Stratonator

I had great luck with Cowon players. Not a familiar brand name to most but the sound quality is way better than anything else I've ever heard.

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
I have an Imod player (modified Ipod) with Rockbox replacing the Apple OS. Drag and drop, play lossless FLAC if you want. No need for Itunes.

MickeyJi

Sansa Clip+ if you can still get one for less than $50. I own three of them, just awesome, battery life, sound, variable speed for podcasts, removable memory, FM radio, memo recorder, and small.

Reviews on Sansa Clip Sport are mixed, but not because of sound. UI and freezing are the main issues.
Yup, that's the one I have three of as well. Amazon blew out the 8gb version for 27,99€ - and at that price it's a total nobrainer. I should have bought a couple more!

Tahitijack

One of my iPods failed. Checked the Apple store and phone help desk. Both said Apple does not support iPod and it is now a nice paperweight.

Neer

Get a Fiio X1. Under $100, sounds great, plays almost any format and can hold a 128 gig memory card.

I also have the SanDisk Clip and Clip+, but they don't hold a candle.

Jack Keck

I liked the Clips because they are (were?) expandable. I didn't like them because mine all died right after the warranty expired. My cheapo dumbphone holds a 64 GB card, which holds my cd as well as vinyl collection. Add either my Bluetooth speaker or Bluetooth headphones and I'm a happy man.

Trending Topics