Mr. Carr's Rambler

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bradders, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Bradders

Bradders Member

Read a lot, heard you guys "fawn" over these things and was destined ( resigned at least) never to see or hear one unti I wandered into an Amercian Music store here in Seattle and BOOM! what's that thing.......

I spent a very brief 10 minutes in the company of Mr Carr's Rambler and LOVED IT......what a cracking little amp. Responsive, flexible, lovely cleans and a nice little "grunt" when you push it.

Only got 10 mins with a John Mayer strat so hardly enough time to really make a "buy or pass" decision but certainly something worth thinking about at least.

Can anyone share a brief summary of highs and, more importantly, any drawbacks please? Seemed, on the face of it, to be a stonking little box. I'm tired of lugging the 2*12s around and am hankering for a 1 12 that kicks a$$ and think this could be it.....
    thanks
    Braddzzzzz

2. HHB

HHB Member

possible lack of clean headroom and a uniqueish midrange are the only drawbacks that I can think of, the Rambler kicks ass

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

Aside from the flabby, farty low end I loved the amp. I tried several different speaker and or power tubes but could never clean it up.

4. UconnJack

UconnJack Supporting Member

Loved mine, did have a loose low end, but the tone was awesome. Triode mode has more of a tweed feel while Pentode is more blackface. Had enough head room for me compared to my DRRI. Excellent Reverb and Tremolo. I want another one!

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Great amps! Small, light, well built, great tone. You can pretty much use it wherever you would use a BFDR. I don't find the bottom end to be any worse than a DR and I do find it a bit more versatile with the triode/pentode switch. Speaker selection will have a significant impact on the tightness of the lows as well.

6. Bradders

Bradders Member

Hey Fullerplast,
    can you recommend a speaker that would help on - - what seems to be a regular comment - tightening up the bottom end?

thanks

7. UconnJack

UconnJack Supporting Member

I would like to add that while the low end was a bit loose, it was not offensive to me. Never felt the need to replace the stock Kingpin speaker. There have been several threads here about Rambler speaker swaps, you'll get alot of oppinions. The Rambler was great ,stock for the band I was in at the time.

8. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I agree. I was actually pretty surprised to hear thes complaints because I really didn't feel it was a problem. As the volume goes up, you reduce the bass-same as on any BF Fender type amp. They all have similar "looseness". It's part of the sound.

If you wanted to play with speakers, maybe try a Tonker, C- Rex, or an EV to tighten things up.

9. rclemmer

rclemmer Guest

Love the Rambler!!! Awesome amp!!! There are times I want a 2x12 closed back sound and for those occasions I use my Z-best. But for awesome tone in an ultra-portable package it's hard to beat the Rambler. I can't imagine life without one.

10. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Silver Supporting Member

On Steve's recommendation, I replaced the Kingpin with a Cannais Rex....and heard a nice improvement in headroom and tone compared to the KP.

FWIW, the Rambler is my favoriate low-to-medium power gigging amp.

joe

11. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I love the Rambler! Two things that I changed really made a difference: JAN Phillips 7581A tubes and a Swamp Thang Speaker. The tubes provide more headroom and the ST eliminated the flubby bass.

12. Den

Den Member

That's my experience as well. In my band, I leave the lower end for our bass player, anyhow.

FWIW, I use a Tim pedal whenever I want to make the bass tighter or bigger with my Rambler and my Tomcat. Other pedals can do something similar as well.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I never got the Flabby low end complaint about the Rambler. But then I never understood guys making the comment that my Pro Reverb didnt have enuff clean headroom. My God man what are you wanting here a Steel Guitar amp? A Bass Amp? Try a 52 reissue Tele.

I loved the Rambler I had. I didnt like the Kinpin Speaker in it and promptly changed it out. I tried a Number of speakers in it. It sounded best for clean tones with a Reissue Jensen C12-N in it. Boy that was gorgeous! It sounded best Dirty with a Weber Blue Dog in it. Neither speaker would let it go in the other direction though and I grew tired of trying to get it to do both a good clean and good dirty. I think if I still had it I could find a speaker to meet in the middle. The Celestion G12 Century. I have that in an amp now and believe it would get closer to middle ground.

Dang good amps.

14. sssmile

sssmile Member

a little sterile sounding.

15. Shemp

Shemp Member

Throw away the Kingpin and use a Cannabis rex or Weber Cali. New toobs help as well. Sweet amp!

16. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Thinking of a retube, what do you guys suggest for max headroom?

17. motis1953

motis1953 Member

My favorite amp of all time. The Imperial does the exact same thing only much louder.

18. benabloom

benabloom Member

Hey Bradders....

I had the same experience right there at American Music not 3 months ago... I have a lot of nice amps, but something about the chewyness and sweet top end on that rambler has got my GAS building up... Unfortunately I gave up giiging with Combo amps for the most part and can't justify another nice studio amp ... I tried it with a Tele and....WOW!

FWIW that same shop got me hooked on my Bogner Shiva about 6 years ago... Still gig the spit out of that amp !

Ben

19. TravisE

TravisE Member

+1. I can think of no problems with the Rambler.

20. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

I put a Austin Speaker Works KTS 70 in one and it sounded amazing. It seem to give you wonderful cleans and great overdrive. I could not htink of a better speaker for that amp and i have tried all the one mentioned in the thread so far. Great amp for just about anything out there. Good luck :phones