Mr FedEx man was very nice to me today

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by JPenn, Sep 14, 2005.

1. JPenn

JPenn Member

He brought me this..........

[​IMG]

...well not the 105 lbs lap dog, but the lovely guitfiddle behind her.

Thanks again Mark for a wonderful guitar. Here's one of his pics which is a lot better than the quick shots I took this afternoon.

[​IMG]

2. JPenn

JPenn Member

Here's a couple more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Jason, enjoy it! That's a super fiddle, Man!!

4. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

Wow, I thought you were gonna say he brought you a
    beautiful new strat copy but then your dog got to it first! :D

--Tom

5. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Great looking dog, but I think the guitar is kinda ugly but thtas my opion but love the dog!!!!.:)

6. JPenn

JPenn Member

Miss Sophie is just a doll. She'll lick your feet when you're wore smooth out, make sure you get up in time for work when you hit the snooze button, and she'll gaurd your guitar when you forget and leave it out in the backyard!!:D

7. glynn

glynn Member

Awesome, love that color.

Congratz!

8. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Great guitar. I really like that colour. What's that colour called ?

9. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

10. Testudo

Testudo Member

Mmmm, blueberry cheesecake...
    So, how does it sound...who makes that cool staggered bucker? Is it splittable? Details, details...please!

11. JPenn

JPenn Member

FAT is the only way to describe this guitar. The bridge pup is a Duncan Trembucker made special for Tyler. I was a little worried about it before I got the guitar. The description Wildwood (original dealer) had on their website was "big Strat instead of normal humbucker" but I'm not sure where they got that at. The bridge pup is so warm it's almost like playing thru a neck humbucker with more articulation.

The singles are the new Tyler SC's. They sound huge as well. I'm not sure if it's the pups or just the guitar itself. When I first got the guitar I plugged it into a 76 Deluxe Reverb that was set for my 91 PRS CE and it was just too boomy. The PRS is a lot more focused in the mids, this guitar has a ton more lowend. When I got it EQ'd right the treble was on 6-7, and the bass on 2. This was on the unmodded Vibrato channel, which most folks find too bright!! After all this you can switch on the bridge pup and play clean octave stuff and it's just thick.

The tone controls are just set up for the singles, which is different than what I'm used to. Normally there's some kind of control for the bridge pup, but with this guitar there's really no need for it. It's kind of cool like this though. You can roll the tone off for the middle and do woofy type stuff, then switch to the neck or bridge and have it nice and clear.

I don't know exactly how much this guitar weighs, but I'm guessing around 6lbs. It feels light when you pick it up, but you can really tell it's hollow when you strap it on. You can also let go off the guitar and let it hang and it doesn't move, it's balanced perfect!

As far as the neck, Tyler is famous for their necks. I don't know what the exact dimensions are, but I would guess it's somewhere around .850-.860 @ the nut and .950-.960 @ the 12th. Nice and chunky, but not bothersome (for me).

I got to play this thing at band practice last night for 3-4 hours and I'm very happy with it. I swapped the SFDR to a buddy for a HR Deluxe that has been modded with 6V6's and a new Jensen speaker, and the Tyler/HRDlx combo just sounded great for the Blues/Rock stuff we do. I tried out a Barber Direct Drive and a Maxon SD9, and the SD9 (into an RC Booster set for a little extra drive and volume boost) seems to work out the best with this guitar and amp.

I hope that was enough details for ya there Peter!!:D If not let me know and I'll hire a better writer to do the next review.;)

12. jcground

jcground Member

I got to get me one of them dogs. :)

Nice guitar too.