Mr. Lead Singer, do not walk up to me and play air guitar while I'm playing a solo

And especially don't do it while moving like you're possessed by Joe Cocker.

Yeah, this happened to me last night with a band I was filling in on guitar for. If it wasn't a one-off gig before, it certainly is now.

I've been in the audience and seen singers do this, and I always found it to be cringy. It's oh-so-much worse to be on the receiving end of it.

And especially don't do it while moving like you're possessed by Joe Cocker.

Yeah, this happened to me last night with a band I was filling in on guitar for. If it wasn't a one-off gig before, it certainly is now.

I've been in the audience and seen singers do this, and I always found it to be cringy. It's oh-so-much worse to be on the receiving end of it.

Certainly a cringy move, but I feel like it's going a little too hard to instantly write them off as a band you would ever gig with again. They don't know your preferred stage dynamic at all, and I'm sure if you just told the singer politely to refrain from doing this in the future he would be fine with it.

bobcs71

Is it more or less cringe worthy than many of us guitar players stepping forward for a solo, making faces and thinking we are improving with the melodic sense and harmonic complexity of Joe Pass, Steve Vai or Brent Mason?

I'm just stealing licks from the song or doing some improv pentatonic thing. Someone can make faces and play air guitar as long as I get paid!

SoulTrip

I'd prefer that my bandmates posses some kind of understanding of what an audience wants... which is a SHOW.

I pity the people so boring that they just want entertainers (who they pay to see, more often than not) to just stand there looking at their instruments and/or doing nothing.

People don't want that. A live band is just as much about the visual as it is the music. That is why bands have props/backdrops/lights/stacks of amps etc, and they (typically) don't wear garbage clothes on stage. You gotta look and act the part. Dude was vibing off of you for entertainment purposes. Vibe back.

To me, the singer is in the right and has the right, and your take is very strange.

Muddy100

I have walked next to my vocalist(s) and lip-synched some of the words to/with him. Shows the crowd I'm into it. The interplay is important. Bands do this stuff all of the time.
Yep...even Roland Orzabal does it to Curt Smith...an entire song.
But I am suggesting standing right behind the singer and make like you're singing into his ear, but like Joe Cocker would....

Last edited:
Just to provide a bit more detail and why I was so bugged, he did this a lot. Like whenever more than a couple of bars went by he'd air guitar to the audience, more than four bars then he was all up in my business spazzing out.

Air guitar was the guy's one go-to when he wasn't singing. He just didn't know what else to do with himself apparently. Just hold the mic and bob your head or clap. Or better yet, learn to play the guitar.

If I'm coming off as too salty, well maybe. But I enjoy interacting with the audience while performing, and it was impossible when he was constantly getting into my personal space when he wasn't singing. Whenever a solo was nearing, all I could think was: And here he comes . . .

Top Bottom