Mr Tripps, Mr HUGE , has the Carbon Copy been UPDATED ??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Andre357, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Please confirm or deny. Please let us know if your already excellently designed analog delay has been updated to increase the modulation a bit.

I bought a new one a day or two ago and I swear the modulation is slightly more pronounced and the delays are quieter. It sounds better overall than the orginal one i owned when they first came out ( and that one already sounded excellent - now they sound frickin brilliant ! )...

Can you please let wondering minds know ?? And also what serial number did the upgrade start at ??

Thank You !

2. dsl

dsl Member

What happened to the other thread concerning the update?

Was it deleted? :confused:

3. nibus

nibus Member

I was thinking the same thing, I was going to lookup the serial number that was supposedly the changed version.

4. dsl

dsl Member

"Roughly starting with serial number AB03J489..."

5. nibus

nibus Member

Cool thanks

6. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Yes, i did eventualy email dunlop and they do now ship with the R7 mod...

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I deleted my thread as there was a post about this being "misinformation that needed to be nipped in the bud". (made my butt hurt)

It seems depending on who you talk to on any given day it's "yes, they are" followed by "no they aren't, this is just a test point that has no effect on the pedal". I decided I didn't want to be accused of starting a rumor so I'll let this play out on it's own.

You guys need to decide which to believe for yourselves.

8. Andre357

Andre357 Member

No misinformation, no rumor - a national sales manager from Dunlop emailed me personally in response to my inquiry and confirmed they are shipping with the R7 mod -

So you have very good ears...you were the first on this board to notice.

9. MrHuge

MrHuge Member

Yes, to my knowledge all new Carbon Copy's that are Revision “C” circuit boards have the R7 modulation mod increase in them. Roughly starting with serial number AB03J489…

If you want faster modulation speeds replace R11 with an 18K and R19 with a 100K.

Good times,
    -Mr. Huge

10. Andre357

Andre357 Member

:AOK Sweet !! It's a fantastic delay by the way Mr. Huge ;).

Also, to all owners of one of the newer Carbon Copy's with the R7 mod. Get in there and fool around with the width and speed knobs. The modulation is really much more pronounced know. Very beautiful and spacious. Really a georgeous modulated delay.

I was getting a nice tape echo type wow and flutter last night at some settings.........sounded like that beautiful sound Mike Fuller gets on his webpage demo'ing his tube tape echo playing Claptons " Layla "....

11. dsl

dsl Member

Thanks for the updates!

12. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I updated mine yesterday. Soldered a 127k on top of the 470k r7. Makes about 96k total if I remember right. Sounds really good now. I played it along with my echoplex. Not the same, but works very well, and I can leave the old echoplex at home. With the depth and speed crank, it really gets a pretty tape-like (although not as random as tape) warble. Still subtle, but for me just right. Is there a way to make a more random vibrato? That would be really tape like, since the tape doesn't make a nice even modulation like a chorus pedal does.

Anyway, the whole point of this is that I highly recommend the r7 mod.

13. charmboy

charmboy Member

I'm a newbie with the iron having only
    a hair of byoc and ggg kit experience, so this leaves me with the following questions:

1. Should I try this myself
    2. If not, who can I send mine to for the mod?

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I'm glad you nipped this in the bud before it got out of hand.

15. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

1. Probably not.
    Surface mount components are not easy to work with.

2. Not me as the idea of modify surface mount parts scares me . . .

16. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Will MXR perform the mod?

17. J.T.

J.T. Supporting Member

That was my post and that was the truth. I called them to see if i could swap my newly purchased unplayed one for one of the newer versions. That is what they told me.not a rumor.....Truth. there is no benefit for such a statement.

18. charmboy

charmboy Member

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to hear before I got ambitiously destructive!

19. RitalinCupcake

RitalinCupcake Member

Do you think maybe they told you that because they don't want everyone that bought one early trying to exchange them?

20. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

The rumor I made refference to was that I started this whole thing by spreading a rumor that a mod had been done. If they told you it hadn't, that is no reflection on you.

I could see posts that siad "MXR says yes" and "MXR says no" so I pulled my thread untill someone more official clears this up. I summed it up with the statement "you guys need to decide who you are going to believe". As in what sorce, Mr Tripps (who designed the pedal) comes to mind first or just some employee who accidently happened to answer the phone not jakeddy or JT, who are either of us in the scheme of things anyway? I also assumed the quote "misinformation that needed to be nipped in the bud" came from the employee as well. Did it?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008