Mrk3-Dumble Mod -?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by daveowens2007, Jan 23, 2008.

1. daveowens2007

daveowens2007 Member

anyone have one done this way.?
    (i have a mrk with the IIC+ mod.)..but im looking
    into getting something that would be more Dumble-ish.
    with out spending an arm and a leg..

thanks !

2. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I don't think you are going to get what you want out of a MKIII. For cheap Dumble tone your best bet is probably an Ethos pedal in front of a clean amp.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

A true MKIIC+ has a lot of the characteristics of some Dumbles, especially the type of sustain and bloom. Not all Dumbles sound the same. The Zen pedals can give many of the Dumble sounds and characteristics when used with some amps in their clean mode as well.

4. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I have a very late IIC and a IIC+ at the moment. I also just sold a different IIC+. I have had an early MKI and a red stripe MKIII that I had Mike B. convert to C+ spec's. They just aren't Dumble-like to my ears. Like most everyone else I haven't actually played a Dumble of course. Nice smooth sustain with the Boogies but not Robben Ford land.

Actually my lowly IIC does the best Dumble impersonation of any Boogie I have owned. It has less gain than the IIC+ but with the gain boost pulled and drive most of the way up it has an incredible smooth compression that the others don't.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have had an original MKI, a MKIIC+ 60/100 and a MKIII red stripe Simul Class. Now I have another MKIIC+ but this time it is the Simul Class. I think this amp sounds closest to some Dumbles of what I have had. No two Boogies are the same either though.

6. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

You're dead on - the earliest IICs had "gain boost" (a low end push) that was labeled "Deep" on the C+'s. The C+s had more gain, but I don't agree that they sounded better than their "Non+" counterparts. A bit more relaxed.

YMMV - but I gigged for years with these amps, the late 80's and Robben Ford's Talk to Your Daughter era that had a huge impact on my preferences at that time, and using a IIC that I would never had traded for a IIC+ with that frame of reference.

P.

7. daveowens2007

daveowens2007 Member

i know someone on here mentioned it.
    cant rember who it was.id like to get another
    mrk..but i want a different voice to it...i cant stand
    what they sound like without being modded...

i dont really want to get that tone out of a pedal either.
    thats to drastic..my way of thinking is that a pedal is
    only there to enhance the amp..not change it..

(unless you want something like synth sounds or
    what ever.) and then the amp really doesnt make
    much difference what it is.

8. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

My IIC has the pull "gain boost". With it engaged and the lead drive most of the way up it is an incredible lead sound. Not as much gain as the C+ but I prefer it to the C+. If you aren't looking to play Metallica and Dream Theater I would venture to guess that many people would prefer the IIC to the IIC+.

Most never give the amp a chance as they have heard the C is a terrible amp and the C+ is the grail. I was in this camp as well at one time. I bought the C with the intention of having it converted. After playing it for a while that for what I play I was better off leaving it alone.

9. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

buy a MKIII and throw a blanket over it?

10. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have had two MKIIC+ amps, one was the 60/100 and the current one is a Simul Class. I also had a MKIII red stripe Simul Class which comes very close to the C+'s, certainly closer than anything else you can buy. Does a MKIII red stripe sound like a C+ with a blanket thrown over it? No way! A sheet maybe.

11. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

I agree, but I was refering to the dumble mod, AKA a blanket thrown over a boogie. :AOK