M's or H's for JTM45?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sabbath90, Jun 7, 2006.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

do you guys like M's or H's (celestion or scumback) for jtm45's? and why? i plan on mixing a 75hz and 55hz of each in a 2x12. thanks everyone.

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I like 55 Hz H magnets for _everything_, but thats just me.

;)

3. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the guitar, music, etc.

I'm 90% humbucker, 8% P90 at this point in my life, so that makes a huge impact. With my JTM45 Clone (Rockytop) I'm running Scumback H75/M75 mix. I like this quite a bit. Adds some mids into the tone. For a 1x12 I use a Scumback H75HP. I think the JTM likes the H's better, I'd like to try a 55/75 mix with that myself, but 2 2x12's with the M/H mix, I can nail what I like with that.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

I'm not going to argue with Mike (he knows his Scumbacks and they are good).
    If you've got the dosh try Celestion Blues with a JTM45 (or borrow someone else's cabinet). A close approximation to Celestion Blues were used in original Marshall 4x12 and the early 1962 combos too.

Best, Pete.

5. big mike

Actually I'd like to give that a try. I had a moment with a blue loaded Dr Z Stingray the other day. I bet they would sound good with the JTM.

LITTLE leary of smoking them......

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

That's the problem, Mike. With the 1962 combo they sounded great - but on the verge of blowing everything sounds great - which is probably why Marshall went over to the ceramic for that.
    A 4x12 is safer, considerably more expensive but doesn't have that frisson of fear!

Best, Pete.
    PS Clapton had ceramics in his 1962 mod.

7. big mike

Wonder how the higher wattage Webbers sound......I do NOT want to start lugging a 4x12 again.:eek:

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

Mike, Or the new Celestion Gold - a 1x12 for the JTM45? Where are the reports, though?

Best, Pete.

9. big mike

I use my Z 1/12 cab with a Scumback H75HP when I"m being lazy. It's got less midrange, (no problem really) and is more focused I guess, but you don't really lose much. Sounds good. Looks strange with that big old JTM head hanging over each side of the cab. LOL

forgot about the alnico gold. Hmm..I dunno. I wasn't real impressed with the heritage speakers, so I'm not sure. It's been hard to get a straight answer out of a certain - cough - celestion guy on the board about them. ;) Josh Smith had good things to say at the amp show. Still hoping we can talk Mr. Seavall into working on an alnico bag.

What about a 3x12 cab...sorta like a bigger Vibroking cab (3x10's)
    Thinking out loud...that might be cool.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

I thought you said you never played them.

11. big mike

Correct. I should be more clear. Not as impressed with the clips I've heard of the heritages vs. the 'bags and original Celestions.

Clips vs. clips. No real world experience with the Heritage.

12. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

In that case I agree, I was not too impressed with the clips I have heard either. Made me realize how important the amp and other gear is.
    I managed to get mine on tape very well when we recorded last time around.

13. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I've been gigging with a reissue JTM45 head with KT66'S. Running it through two 16 ohm Blues in a Brown Soun cab.
    Scares the hell out of me but it sounds so good.

14. big mike

It's always a good thing when we find what works for us.:cool: :cool:

15. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

I'm running a Vox Blue and a Ceramic Weber Bluedog together in a 2x12 cab with my JTM45 and it's real nice! Very articulate,gorgeous, rich strat tones!

16. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

the reason i asked specifically about M's and H's is because i already have a 2x12 with a weber blue dog and silver bell and it's great, but it's kind of mated to my vox. i'd like to eventually have 3 or 4 2x12's set up with different speakers for recording. i'm thinking about trying 1 55hz and 1 75hz H to tighten up the bass a bit.

17. big mike

You know what could be REALLY cool, Scumbag's got a 55hz cone M now. Might have them in stock but that sounds really tempting myself. All that warm M goodness in a bass cone, mated to a H75? Sounds like it might be the shizzle.

Sorry. Self admited scumback junkie.

18. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

So here is my plight.........

I had a Tophat Club Royale with 2 very early and stupendous sounding Weber Blue Dogs 30 watt Alnico. They are Silver, but Ted hisself gave me the lowdown on his then arrangement with Brian. 16 ohms a piece for an 8 ohm total output amp.

I picked up a Reinhardt JTM45 head and purchased an Avatar 2-12 w/Blues for the amp. 2-16 ohm speakers for an 8 ohm tap.

My Reinhardt is 16 ohms only. I was running it through the Avatar and was very pleased with the results. Yes, I was ascared....

So....

I decided to put the Reinhardt on top of the Tophat and run the CR's speakers into the head. WOW, wow, wow. Absolutely incredible tone. I ran the CR's output into the Avatar/Blues cab. Match made in heaven!

I needed to sell the CR, so I decided to switch the speakers out. I put the Blues in to the CR and the Webers into the Avatar.

The pair of Blues in that CR were nothing short of incredible! I will always miss that amp.

I was unfortunately dissapointed with the result of the Webers in the Avatar. I think it is due to the deeper/larger cab, I am not getting that same woody knock. I think when I finally order a custom Reinhardt 2-12 cab to match my head I am going to get it at the dimensions of the Tophat cab.

So, I am thinking that I may get a bit better rock sound out of a pair of Scumback H75's [greenbacks?]. My fuzz tones and lead tones could sound better methinks.

I may keep my Webers as they are irreplaceable. I also want to get a pair of 8 ohm Scummies in order to have a 16 ohm 2-12. I am hoping that the results from that will be more optimal than running the current 8 ohm setup.

Just a thought.

M.E.

19. big mike

Michael, cruise down to Concord bro. I have a M75 (Greenback) and H75 (G12H) Scumbacks in an avatar cab. Bring your amp, we'll crank em up buddy.

Little Reinhardt vs. Rockytop action.

Plus, I now have a Klon in the house.

20. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

I may have to run to Pleasanton tomorrow, hmm......
    M.E.