much needed HELP with dirt...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by buzzp, Feb 15, 2012.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

does anyone have a bearfoot demo that's not on a PRS into a Hiwatt? Or are these pedals just not for me? Or should I fear the worst and say my taste has outgrown the $200 range of pedals and I should be saving for different things?

I might as well continue as to say most dirt pedals do not pass the lust phase with me so I'm reluctant to try more. What I want to do is simply thicken up my clean tone and add some interesting flavor to it. I like my Tim with both boost channels engaged for my heaviest drive needs. But its rare that I like using it otherwise now. After A/Bing demos and talking to some experienced friends, I think the KoT could replace my Tim no problem and I would get more use out of it... just gotta get one.

Any suggestions? Should I mix some different pedals together like a compressor, xotic ep, and katana? Should I look at pedals like a klon (**WAY out of my price range)?

I'm just stuck on what to look for anymore. If this helps, a lot of music I write is in the same feel of John mayer TRIO stuff

2. swellguy66

swellguy66 Member

Dude! Get a Timmy and a TS9 and call it quits! The only thing that will get you the "ultimate overdrive" is getting an excellent amp.

3. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

When I read your 1st sentence I was all set to recommend a Timmy. The Crowther Hot Cake can do what my Timmy does but has more gain capability. I have a Bjf Honey Bee and love it. Sounds as if my amp had a dirty channel. I'm not really a JM fan but the HB certainly has the tone to help me achieve the feel of a lot of his solos. yMMv.

4. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Skreddy Screwdriver is probably the best dirt pedal I have ever played. It's a treble boost and fuzz in one pedal that is very sensitive to picking dynamics and does it all from OD to muff territory. Try it. You won't be disappointed.

For lower gain, I just got my first KOT, and it's all they say for a low gain OD and boost. To me, it's not that low. And it is pretty perfect for always on into a tube amp.

Another to check out that's not that expensive is the Blackout Effectors Mantra and for a few more bones the Fairfield Effects Manifold Drive.

5. buzzp

buzzp Member

Should I sell my Tim and get a Timmy?

I DIG the Screwdriver.. WHY do I not have one? Gary Clarke Jr tones sound very achievable with this thing. How's it cut through a mix? Lets say keys, drums, bass, and 1 other guitar

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  6. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

There are pleanty of demos of bearfoot pedals without a PRS into a Hiwatt. Check out "Pop into the chemist" videos, or Pete thorn vids.

7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Ya I'd say try a Honey Bee, watch the vid I just did for Bearfoot. It's a great pedal to just add thickness and a hair of grit.

8. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

:agree

This is why I sold all my 'amp-like' overdrives and got the bass channel of my old Bassman modded to a dirty channel. That and a couple TS9's keep my happy.

9. buzzp

buzzp Member

Yeah I have found amp like overdrives are just impersonations that I don't care for all the time.

My pedal radar:

Xotic EP
    Bearfoot Honey Bee
    Skreddy Screwdriver (I'm in need of a fuzz, this seems to work)
    Lovepedal Kalamazoo

10. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I like the Lunar Module for fuzz - I find it can cover what the SD does and more.

11. buzzp

buzzp Member

Define "more"

12. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

They are nearly the same circuit, except the SD has a pre-gain mosfet while the LM has more Si Trannies. The mosfet apparently helps humbuckers to clean up when using the pedal, but the extra trannies give the LM more distortion. I find that setting the LM with lower distortion can match the SD, however the SD cannot get as much distortion as the LM for soaring leads a la Gilmour.

13. buzzp

buzzp Member

well what about if i use a humbucker guitar, should I choose one or the other?

14. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

When I had both of those pedals I was using Joe Barden pickups which are a bit different than your typical pup. 2 of them where humbuckers with coil drop, 1 was a single coil. I usually used the single coil settings, but sometimes the humbucker settings as well (I also occasionally used a Les Paul Classic). I did not hear a significant difference in the amount of cleanup from either pedal to be honest, but others might have a more definitive opinion.

I found myself leaving the Lunar Module at my favorite lead setting, when I rolled my volume knob back, the LM sounded almost identical to my SD setting. I know Marc (builder of Skreddy) has said he manages to use them interchangeably with pretty good success as well.

I would say if you want the soaring leads and fuzz rhythm, get the LM. If you just want more of a fuzzy OD, get the SD (or even consider the Astrotone). Maybe see if anyone else has opinions about humbuckers.

15. buzzp

buzzp Member

I think I need a pedal switcher from rhythm to lead when I do that... what are those things called again? radial tonebones or whatever right?

16. buzzp

buzzp Member

would a fetto nord suit my needs? anyone?

17. buzzp

buzzp Member

So I've got a Fetto Standard and a Lovepedal Kalamazoo on the way... may be getting an Xotic EP soon as well. Any thoughts as to how these will stack together?