Much Prefer Bruce Dickinson's Succinct Opinion Over David Grohl's Whole Spiel!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lucidology, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Bruce and Dave are both correct and on the same page. The only "spiel" going on here is the typical TGP one.

2. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Just to point out, songwriting is not a have or have not thing. Its a skill that can be developed. Chrystal can learn that skill as well as anyone if she is willing to put the time into it.

3. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Both are full of ****.

Watch The Voice sometime. It's full of serious, experienced musicians who have been gigging and touring and paying their dues and pounding their against against the wall for years. I know a couple of them personally. I don't particularly enjoy those shows, but they're as valid path a to getting discovered as any.

4. lhallam

lhallam Member

I have to agree that Bruce & Dave are making a lot of assumptions. I'm certain a lot of people who try out for these talent shows have paid some dues.

There is nothing wrong with doing what you love and making money at it.

5. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

That's a kinder way of putting it. :beer

6. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Hitmen, drug dealers, pimps...

7. aman74

aman74 Member

Yeah, I'm a bit baffled by all the unanimous agreement and that Bruce and Dave's comments are so all-encompassing...

I'm not a fan of most pop music, nor those shows or even most of the folks I've seen on them when I have tuned in....I'm as disgusted by manufactured acts as the next person....

However, I think the comments are a bit off the mark. The shows are lame and silly, but not everyone who auditions can be painted with the same brush. Had they toned down their comments to say they're concerned about SOME of the contestants and the general perception of what it takes by the public and some aspiring "artists" who are more concerned with fame then their art, then I could get behind it.

Furthermore, there are people out there doing it the "right" way...some of them end up auditioning as it's a good opportunity. So what's the beef exactly again?

Not only that, but ya know what?....not everything has to be "pure"...it's just a different thing altogether. I can't stand a lot of really popular stuff, but I never understood how people feels this threatens them and what they do. I'm surprised to see two seasoned musicians go that route...they've seen it all and most of pros and I thought Grohl especially seems to be welcoming of stuff that's clearly not his bag.

I might be a snob about music, but that's for ME..and not everyone is the same. If someone loves Kesha, I might think they have highly questionable taste in music, but so what?

8. kimock

kimock Member

That's a fine opinion to have and you're no doubt well qualified to opine on the subject of music biz, but that's not where those guys are coming from. They're speaking as musicians on behalf of the generation coming up from the perspective of what it means and what it takes to have a life in the arts.

The other side of the glass, not the POV of the "talent show".

9. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

Those T.V. programs showcase a very narrow, specific form of vocal talent. All the girls sound like whitney houston or whoever the hot female country singer is. A 19 year old Bob Dylan would be absolutely annihilated by those judges. Kurt Cobain too.

10. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

Dave was right 20 years ago.

Not a chance that crap applies today.

11. Turi

Turi Member

I kinda agree with both. Daves, eh, not so much.
    You can't just start making noise in your garage anymore, people call the cops.
    2015 =/= 1990 or whenever his band started playing.

I agree with it for stuff like American Idol, or X-Factor.. but Dave mentions The Voice..

..this is why I don't agree with Dave on The Voice.

The Voice is a little different to the other shows in that mostly, they are actually already established musicians who have been slogging it out for ages already. Some of the faces on it are familiar.
    Some of them are the kids or relatives of other already famous musicians, who have already demonstrated their talents prior to The Voice.

I personally think all musical talent shows and events are absolute **** - music isn't a sport - all this side of it is purely marketing ****.
    ..but I can see the difference in The Voice vs the other shows.

I don't enjoy watching any of them though.

12. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

They're both just two old men yelling at the clouds!

[​IMG]

13. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

They make similar points, Bruce making his more eloquently.

If you are entertained by the tv talent shows or somehow get to where you want to be as a contestant on one, that's fine, too. Not my bag, though.

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

regarding those shows, and playlist on clear channel: ratings matter and that's been the driving force to formulaic, derivative and uninspiring musical trends forever. not many bands on the radar take chances or surprise anyone.

i mean, if you love music you can certainly appreciate the eagerness and intentions of the participants but it doesn't mean you have to accept it as a half-way decent, or acceptable vehicle to consume music.

personally, it's a plastic milkshake with no taste.

15. kimock

kimock Member

16. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

17. Ben R

Ben R Member

I agree with both Dickinson and Grohl.

18. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

19. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

20. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Also, even if you add up all the contestants, let alone just the winners, on every single one of the tv talent shows, that's far less people than even make it in, say, professional sports.

So the idea that this is a great shot at success is laughable or worse.