Much tonal difference between a vibrochamp and princeto?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by topboost, Apr 24, 2015.

1. topboost

topboost Member

Hi all other than head room is there much difference between a blackface Vibrochamp and a princeton(brownface, blackface, silverface, reverb or non)?
    For the most part my SF VC works with my trio I play in and I don't need much more clean volume, but a little would be nice. But I love the tone of the VC and wouldn't want that to change much

Thanks!

2. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

1) tone is subjective - so only you could answer that question, but
    2) a brown, black, later silver, reverb and non-reverb Princeton are all pretty different circuits - so grouping them together as 'a princeton' is not viewing it correctly, imo

A blackface VC and a blackface non-reverb Princeton will be the closest. How different these are tonally is very subjective - I would say these two are close tonally up to around 3 on the volume. They won't feel necessarily the same or break up the same though since one is single-ended and the other is push-pull in the power section.

3. sliberty

sliberty Member

The VC shares the input stage, tone stack and gain stage with the non-reverb Princeton, but has a single ended cathode biased output stage, and a differnt trem circuit as compared with a push pull fixed bias output stage and a bias wiggling trem. Probably sound a little similar, but ike RC said, probably feel rather different (compression, sag, etc).

The Brown Princeton is going to be more aggressive. Punchier at lower volumes, and with plenty of growl as you turn it up. This is mostly due to the simple tone stack which doesn't rob you of much gain. Could be my favorite.

The PR is very versatile, offering lots of clean, but also some break up.

What characteristics of the VC are you looking for in this larger format?

4. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

I have a 66 VC and a 77 PR, and they sound nothing like each other. Well, they sound closer to each other than to, say, a random Marshall, but although both are Fenders they are pretty different sounding amps.