Muff-perts: A muff with less bass

BoTheMu

Hello, experts of muff.

I don't mind the mid scoop but I do want a muff with less bass. I don't want to crank the highs to lower the bass.

What's best? Russian, Rams, violet,..., something different altogether?

So awesome that I saw this thread. I'm after the same exact thing! A muff with tamable bass. I was looking at either the Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan, or the Wampler Leviathan. Both of which have bass and treble controls. The Basic Audio looks pretty sweet, as well as the Musket!

ellsworthman

The Geezer of Gear
Gold Supporting Member
The bass - and treble - can be tamed quite well with the Thorpy Muffroom. The Musket is a great choice too.

Black_Label

Hello, experts of muff.

I don't mind the mid scoop but I do want a muff with less bass. I don't want to crank the highs to lower the bass.

What's best? Russian, Rams, violet,..., something different altogether?
There are a lot of good clones mentioned, but as Muff clones, they're all variants of the ehx originals. As far as the main types of Muffs that have less bass, I'd go with a Ram's Head or possibly an IC type Muff. The RH is smoother where the IC should have more gain and have a more crushing sound and feel to it.

If you want bass, then go for a Russian. I'd say the bubble font type probably has the most thump - more so than the tall font and civil war by a hair.

BoTheMu

There are a lot of good clones mentioned, but as Muff clones, they're all variants of the ehx originals. As far as the main types of Muffs that have less bass, I'd go with a Ram's Head or possibly an IC type Muff. The RH is smoother where the IC should have more gain and have a more crushing sound and feel to it.

If you want bass, then go for a Russian. I'd say the bubble font type probably has the most thump - more so than the tall font and civil war by a hair.
That's great background. Thanks.

BoTheMu

The bass - and treble - can be tamed quite well with the Thorpy Muffroom. The Musket is a great choice too.
Hmmm, muffroom.

This really is hot new muff about town. I've found one for sale but it's a lot of money based on YouTube videos. Have you tried one?

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
I'm a huge fan of the Violet World by Wren and Cuff, the bass on it is tight and never too boomy. I play through a Mesa Lonestar so that was important to me. It sounds killer and is a very distinct muff with the BC108s inside.

DecoWaves

Gold Supporting Member
+1 Blackout Effectors Musket. It can have a lot of Bass if so desired but it does "tighten" up the Bass via the [Focus] control (read: less boomy bass sound). As others have shared, you also get the Mid control and, in changing the settings between the [Pre] + [Fuzz] controls, one can dial in a great range of the effect; from overdrive to distortion. While I have eyed the pedal for more than a few year, it was a recent acquisition and addition to my board and I am loving it. Here is my review: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...sket-w-compare-contrast-to-iron-bell.1680042/

@BoTheMu , I just noticed that you had already visited the review so I will add this to my response here .... As others have shared, and what I describe as "Tighten up", with concerns to the base frequencies, the [Focus] control is used to limit the amount of bass that passes through the circuit which translates to a flatter bass response. It is still represented in the tone but a bit more percussive if that makes sense.

Last edited:

yellowbaloon

Skreddy BC239 is a tight and punchy muff with a bit more mids than typical for a 'rams head'. It is great for palm muting also!

ck3

The Lone Wolf Audio Iron Fist has a depth knob that allows fine tuning of bass frequencies and has different clipping settings with varying amounts of bass.

stilwel

Silver Supporting Member
This is precisely the reason I use the Barber Trifecta.

Sludge knob = bass rolloff
Pull Tone knob = mid boost

2 great tastes that taste great together...

BoTheMu

+1 Blackout Effectors Musket. It can have a lot of Bass if so desired but it does "tighten" up the Bass via the [Focus] control (read: less boomy bass sound). As others have shared, you also get the Mid control and, in changing the settings between the [Pre] + [Fuzz] controls, one can dial in a great range of the effect; from overdrive to distortion. While I have eyed the pedal for more than a few year, it was a recent acquisition and addition to my board and I am loving it. Here is my review: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...sket-w-compare-contrast-to-iron-bell.1680042/

@BoTheMu , I just noticed that you had already visited the review so I will add this to my response here .... As others have shared, and what I describe as "Tighten up", with concerns to the base frequencies, the [Focus] control is used to limit the amount of bass that passes through the circuit which translates to a flatter bass response. It is still represented in the tone but a bit more percussive if that makes sense.
Thanks DecoWaves.

It's on my list. Should be able to pick one up used (even in the uk I've seen a few).

BoTheMu

This is precisely the reason I use the Barber Trifecta.

Sludge knob = bass rolloff
Pull Tone knob = mid boost

2 great tastes that taste great together...

Trifecta, eh? I always forget that one.

Bang goes an hour on YouTube I guess.:dunno

stilwel

Silver Supporting Member
3 years ago I had a pile of Big Muff and muff variant pedals. The Trifecta is the only one I still have and use.

Trending Topics