• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Muff Style Buffer Friendly Fuzz

Bruce85

Hello all.

I believe Muff style fuzzes are the only ones that really work well when there are buffered pedals infront of them.

I need to check out some reviews on YouTube so if you could so kindly list some of the best Muff style fuzz pedals around.

Thank you!

And go...!

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
I would have to state up front that there are a wide array of fuzzes that work well after buffers, there are just some (typically fuzz face) circuits that do not play well. That said, if you are looking for good muffs, check out the EHX Deluxe Big Muff, anything by Wren and Cuff, Buffalo FX, ARC Effects, Stomp Under Foot, Vick Audio, Basic Audio...to name a few.

Black_Label

Most Muffs don't seem to really care about buffers in front of them. Some will feel a little better or clean up better if they don't have a buffer. That said, R.C. has a pretty good list. I prefer the Wren and Cuff Muffs, though I haven't tried every brand on that list.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
Basic Audio — Alter-destiny or Foxey Lady (and probably Tri-Ram, although I haven't used that one)

The Alter-destiny is one of my favorite fuzzes ever. Very flexible for a Muff-varient.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
Most Muffs don't seem to really care about buffers in front of them. Some will feel a little better or clean up better if they don't have a buffer. That said, R.C. has a pretty good list. I prefer the Wren and Cuff Muffs, though I haven't tried every brand on that list.
I keep coming back to Wren and Cuff. The Caprid has been my favorite, but recently I picked up a Violet World. I loved the sound and really wanted something with a smaller foot print. I really can't recommend them enough.

Black_Label

I keep coming back to Wren and Cuff. The Caprid has been my favorite, but recently I picked up a Violet World. I loved the sound and really wanted something with a smaller foot print. I really can't recommend them enough.
I took a Tri Pie in a trade, figuring I'd try it out and pass it on. After I played it, I was like "holy crap! This thing sounds better than my '71 triangle muff!" The only one of their fuzzes I haven't been too excited about was the Box of War, which I thought was kind of weak compared to a real Russian Muff.

Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss, EQD Hoof. Those are my go to recommendations for muffs. They work really well in a mix and are pretty versatile.