Mullard 12ax7 Groove Tube reish

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by electronpirate, Aug 18, 2005.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Well, not to buy into the hype, but wanting to check these things out, GC had one 12ax7m left, and quoted me $16 for it. At that price I had to see.

Well. I play a Zinky Superfly. I put it first into V1 (SF has 4 preamp gain stages, and one 12at7 as reverb/effects loop buffer/driver).

Some disappointment here. VERY dark sounding. Muffled even. Added alot of gain to my clean sounds as well. Not good gain, very 'fuzzy' and unfocused. Messy.

Off to V2. New issue Tung-Sol in V1, JJ's in the others. Now it's just plain nasal. Midrangy. And still that irritating fuzz.

V3 and V4. Now it's just messy. Can't control the distortions and gain stages of the SF.

Final analysis: Not a good tube for this amp at least. I'm sure a bright amp would be a better match for it. I'm in no mood to pump up my global treble to cut through the fuzz....shouldn't have to do that.

I went back to Tung-sol in V1, JJ's in others, and suddenly it was 2 hours later and a smile on my face. I guess that sais it all. At this price, I expected more. Good thing I kept the reciept.

Your results may vary.

2. ck3

ck3 Member

I had a similar experience when I placed one of those in a Vox TonelabSE.

3. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I didn't like the Mullard RI in my GDS 18 watter. Loved it in my Univalve, particularly with EL34 or KT66. Killer! I haven't tried it in Fender style amps, yet.

4. Tagit

Tagit Guest

Ah, that is dissapointing to hear....so much hype for those too. Anyone know roughly what the original's are going for?

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

Not to take sides either way, but probably many modern amps have been designed and refined using 12ax7s with less gain than 12ax7s are supposed to have. Then if the RI tubes really do restore the full gain factor of 100, then they may not work great in many modern amps.

6. lordcliffton

lordcliffton Member

considering that it's supposed to have full on gain, and what the above poster just said, I wonder how much more gain it would give a 5150!

7. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I had been using a few in vox and fender style amps....recently, I had two of them develop a ticking sound (which went away when the GT was removed). I am very disappointed in this tube....it lasted about 5-6 months before the ticking developed, so it is outside of the warranty.

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I've had great results with it in a couple amps, particularly in V1. In a lot of other tube positions, the difference has been negligible.

IME different tubes behave differently in different amps and different positions within an amp. In that light, there probably isn't a be all end all tube.

9. johnny q

johnny q Member

These sounded weak and thin in my early 80's JCM800, but sound awesome in V1 and V2 of my Rivera R100. Wish they had a pinch more gain though....

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I have found even real Mullard 12AX7s to not be an automatic good fit... they have their tone but it may not be for everyone.

11. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I don't recall the original Mullards being extremely "gainy" tubes... the RI must be WAAAAY off base then :(

12. bscepter

bscepter Member

I bought a pair for my Vox AC30CC2. One went microphonic in only a couple of weeks. They sounded pretty good, but just don't seem rugged. I bought some EHs, 'cause I heard they were pretty solid. We'll see.

13. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Supporting Member

I found one good spot for a GT-M... V9 in my Carvin pre (4 channel). Stockers were non branded chinese high gainers and the GT refined the channel a little bit. However, I did not like this tube for any of the other 3 lower gain channels or my Fender HRD. So it may work for anybody with really high gain amps but, of course YMMV.

14. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

I have three GT 12AX7M tubes in my Rivera Chubster. Definately Woke this amp the f**k up! I'm getting very articulate cleans and nice gritty plexi sounds in the overdrive channel.

I'm running them in V1, V2 and V5(PI) and Chinese 12AX7A tubes in V3 and V4.

Got them from Lord Valve who admits there are some duds out there. That day was at his place he got a new batch from GT and more than half didn't pass his tests to call them good.

He hand-picked mine that day.

My guess is you bought a dud from GC and I highly doubt they tested it before selling it to you.

or maybe it just wasn't the right tube for your amp.

Either way, I wouldn't buy a tube from GC.

15. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I still think they are crap! I bought mine from Lord Valve and one went bad in no time at all. I'm not knocking him, buy almost all my tubes from him for years with no problems at all. Feel sure he would have sent me a new one if I wanted but didn't bother. Didn't like them in any amp I tried them in. Dull, flat and no gain is how I hear them but maybe thats just me.

16. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

It could be you, but only you will know what sounds good to you. ;)

I really like them and might have just gotten lucky with 3 good ones.

17. Wallace

Wallace Silver Supporting Member

They were sweet in my TGA-3 Demeter but didn't improve anything in my Suhr OD-100. They didn't last long either. I shipped em back to GT and they sent out some more. I havent had time to do anything further.

Wallace

18. flicker180

flicker180 Member

my Mullards were around 40 for two. i bought eight to cover various situations.

i'm also a big fan of JAN 5751s. :)

dave

19. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I've only tried it in one amp so far, but compared to my other CURRENT "good" tubes, it's sitting in the box unused.

When I get ambitious (or bored) maybe I'll try it in some of my other amps.

I agree it's kinda dull, but it does impart a sheen on the sound which in itself is good. If I could take one quality form this tube and add it to one of my brighter tubes, that would be it.

As of my current impression, I won't be buying anymore.

20. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Supporting Member

I've got one in my Orange AD30tc , V2 position , and it's spectacular, no problems