Mullard ECC83 RI vs Chinese AX7s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by solitaire, Jun 15, 2008.

1. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I'm looking into more linear pre-amps and I basically would like to know if the Mullard RI is worth the extra money compared to Chinese no-names, Rubies and TADs. Cheers!

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I haven't found a reason to think it was worth the extra cash. I would rather hunt down some NOS ones, if I was going to spend the extra money on them.

3. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Cheers, mate! So, NOS aren't that costy, then?

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Some NOS ones are, but not all of them. There are still some that are in the price area of new manufactured tubes.

5. AintNoEddie

AintNoEddie Member

I always wanted to try a Mullard RI... expensive, but still a bargain compared to NOS Mullard valves.

The extra $$$ for NOS seems to be well spent, however. I have yet to hear a single user which testifies that the Mullard RI comes even close to the 'real deal'. On the other hand, many complaints regarding the reliability and the fast wear can be found. Currently many valve suppliers don't offer the RI anymore. Makes me wonder

Long story short, I stick to the Chinese (un-branded) stuff. I am definitely not in a position to generalise, but at least all Chinese valves that I bought (pre and power) held up fine. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to other, more expensive, current production stuff I bought (Tung Sol *cough* *cough*)

6. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

I just retubed my 1974X with new RI Mullards across the board.

Sounds great!

7. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Have you compared it to NOS ones?

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)

When the calls start coming in telling me that sub $20 NOS 12AX7s are available I'll know who to refer them too :D

9. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Unfortunately, I haven't. I'm sure real deal NOS Mullards would sound incredible, but these are working for me for now.

10. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Considering some people are charging almost $50 for newly manufactured, that is the price area I was considering. If someone on budget really tries hard, they can find some decent pulls for $20-$40.

I would be happiest if everyone just bought NOS from you, until the manufacturers realized it and started making better tubes. I'm enough of a tube snob I'd still buy the NOS stuff.

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    :) Don't hold your breath. Tube companies make more selling REPLACEMENTs for their crappy $10 tubes than they'd make selling NOS QUALITY tubes at 5X current prices.

$50 for new production 12AX7s? I can't imagine anyone getting away with that with all the competition.

$20 to $40 for NOS pulls is definitely possible...even from legit dealers.

12. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

You mean UOS pulls probably, right? ;) If its a pull from some sort of gear it can't be NOS ? .

13. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I think KCA uses ANOS (Almost New Old Stock) for pulls that weren't really ever used more than to test.