Mullard GZ34 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JZWest, Jul 26, 2008.

1. JZWest

JZWest Member

Anyone describe the difference between the old Mullard GZ34 with double O ring getters vs a single O ring getter?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yes, one has 2 getters, the other has one :D

Oh, you wanted to know the sonic differences? I doubt anyone can hear the difference but I'm certain that someone will say that they can;)

3. HCStraub

HCStraub Member

Since the signal does not go through the rectifier, they don't really add or subtract a sonic signature. It's not like a power tube or preamp tube. It only takes the AC coming from the wall and makes it DC to feed the amp. How responsive the rectifier is to the amps demands, and how much capacitance you can put in the first stage are the effects of rectifier in an amp.
    Changing from one brand of GZ34 to another, won't effect the sound. That being said, the old Mullards do last significantly longer than the new GZ34's. There may be a difference in longevity in the two you mentioned.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

There absolutely can be sonic differences or at very least differences in feel due to sag.

The AC/DC explanation doesn't quite cut it. Things like transient response definitely have an impact.

One notable, if extreme, example is the Sovtek, Russian, 5AR4 which actually isn't a 5AR4 at all...just similar. The voltage drop and sag properties are very different from REAL 5AR4s.

5. HCStraub

HCStraub Member

I agree with you Mike, I was just trying to explain what it does (AC/DC) for clarification for folks not explain away any sonics. We agree (I think) that it doesn't effect the tone other than bass response(based on capacitance in the first stage) and response to the amps demands(sag). They do effect response(feel), I fully agree.
    I am just not sure if you have 5 different GZ34's(assuming real GZ34's) you can feel/hear a difference.
    In my opinion, the only reason to get a NOS GZ34 is reliability(and to make sure it is a real GZ34). If you are chasing tonal upgrades, preamp and power tube rolling are the way to go.

6. JZWest

JZWest Member

Thank you Sirs,

Yes, I was interested from a performance perspective, that is, dynamics/sag. It didn't occur to me the 1 vs 2 getters would result in a difference in longevity factor.

I finally need to replace one that's been in my amp for slightly over 8 years, and it was used when I installed it!

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

The difference in number of getters isn't likely to yield different longevity.

8. JZWest

JZWest Member

An interesting note- the old GZ34, which measured weak and borderline bad exhibited a lot of sag. I put in a new Chinese GZ34 and the amp is now very fast and hard sounding.

This one is temporary until I find a new Mullard.

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

That won't be hard to do. Check my signature;)