1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mullard Long Plate vs Non Long Plate 12AX7s?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by lv, Mar 20, 2006.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Any general tonal differences? Thanks.

2. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I have only directly compared late '50s long-plate/halo-getter versions (f91 or f92 etched type code) to later-'60s short-plate versions (I63 etched type code). The long-plates had greater clarity and articulation throughout their extended frequency spectrum, from deeper and tighter low frequencies, through sweet and airy highs. The short-plate versions, though still sonically "good," suffered from poorly-defined lows, congested mids, and shrill highs, in comparison with their long-plate siblings.

Frankly, I was shocked to hear the short-plates (after hearing long-plates) and I still wonder what all the fuss is about with these. I would recommend a Tungsram ECC83 instead of the Mullard I63 short-plate 12AX7A. The Tungsram does all that the Mullard I63 does, for less cost, and with a bit more frequency extension.

I'm not familiar with Mullard's early '60s I61 ECC83, but I have been told it has more clarity than the later I63 I have used. I'm also not familiar with Mullard's oldest mC1 long-plate/square-getter version, but if it is not microphonic, I'm certain they're supreme.

[​IMG]

- T

3. Gordon

Gordon Silver Supporting Member

Hey man,
    Great pic. I've seen acouple of posts regarding Mullard long plates and was wondering if they were available currently and if so from whom? thanks, Gordon

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I should have credited that photo - it was from Tube World. Here's another, of Mullard long-plates, from Tube World:
    [​IMG]

Tube World sells them, but WOW :eek: what pricing!! Over $200!! But you can get a used, tests-like-old-crap @ 50% (UTLOC) tube for $30.

Brent Jesse has them for a bit less. I have bought a couple (used, test new, with no Mullard logo - hey no one looks back in your amp, anyway!), for more reasonable price, from SND Tubes, and have been happy with them.

I recommend contacting your favorite dealer and asking, even if they're not displayed as available. I've also had great luck purchasing (sometimes less than $20, and they test new) on eBay, but you've got to be careful about the descriptions, ask questions, check feedback, etc.

Good luck.

- T

5. Gordon

Gordon Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, I'm gonna look thru some I have here and compare. NOS is way expensive now.

6. Igneous

Igneous Member

Hmmm... this thread looks familiar:)