1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mullard Re-issues

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by J S Moore, Feb 16, 2006.

1. J S Moore

J S Moore Member

I don't know if this is the right place for this.

Has anybody tried the Mullard re-issues from Groove Tubes? I am considering those for my amp, but just wanted some opinions first.

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

The GT12AX7M is a good tube for new production but so far I'm liking the Tung-Sol 12ax7 better. YMMV.
    Dave C

3. K-man

K-man Member

If you do a search for them you will find alot of differing opinions. I think the short of it is they sound good but alot of them go bad within a month of use.

I second the Tung Sol re-issue. The new JJ EC803s is supposed to be pretty good as well, although I haven't heard them myself yet.

4. samwheat

samwheat Member

all new stuff is junk IMHO

5. bryan k

bryan k Member

GT-M is a pretty dark sounding tube. Real warm, with some bite to it. Good for Marshalls that are a bit bright sounding. But if the amp is voiced dark to begin with, it will sound a bit darker.

The new JJ803 is great. Its like the GT-M, but with more upper mids, and has a a great sound. I really like this tube. Works well in the V1 spot in most amps.

i have not tried the tung-sol reissue, but i have a NOS tung sol, and its a great tube! I have it in my V2 of a Carvin legacy.

6. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

The GT 12AX7M is JUNK! They have a problem with the metallurgy and it causes a reaction in the tube that causes it to go bad. I have had five die on me and others have experienced the same thing. They are GARBAGE! Go with the new Tung Sol 12AX7, much, MUCH better!

Cheers,

CJ

7. J S Moore

J S Moore Member

My Marshall is a bit bright, that's why I was thinking of them to begin with. What's a good reliable source of nos tubes?

8. bryan k

bryan k Member

for current production tubes, try the JJ803. Go to www.dougstubes.com
    hes got new current tubes, and some NOS......his prices are AWSOME! his selection is mostly new production tubes, but he does have some NOS.

9. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

Willie, AKA the Lord Valve at NBS electronics. In fact, he's your best source for NIB as well as NOS. He spec's all his tubes.

10. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

same here...i had five out of eight purchased bad out of the box with microphonics and other assorted noises...huge GT scam if you ask me...$26 for a tube that, to me, obviously wasn't QC'd in circuit (which GT used to claim was one of their tests)...

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Try the JJecc83's or the Shugnang's instead, the GT tubes are junk. You can buy 3 or 4 JJ's or Shugnang's for the price of one GT. Both these tubes work great with bright amps.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

From a recent taste test I prefer the JJ ECC803 or the Sovtek LPS to the Groove Tubes plus I have a much more failure rate with the GTM's.

To me I like the way the GT's sound but they keep dying on me. Oddly enuff the GT'Ms are Shunangs. I've found the Sovtek LPS's sound almost just like them but with mayby a little more clarity.

If you want something for a very bight amp I suggest the JJ's if you clear in the middle of the road I suggest the Sovteks. If you want a brighter Tube I suggest the Tung Sol reissue. Both versions of the JJ's are great tubes and have lasted longer than any current production Tube I've had to date.

13. J S Moore

J S Moore Member

Thanks, guys! I've got a lot of great info.

Cheers

14. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

Alas the Ruby 12AX7AC4 is unavailable for an unknown period. This was a great tube though life-for-max-tone matched price as it would gig 5 to 7 days a week for 6 months and then suffered a slight decrease in headroom
    or defination as judged by my customers. You get what you pay for...

Good News: the Ruby 7025 Silver Special is available again! Highly recommended, but won't solve "brightness problem" in Marshall. Will solve "noise and/or micro-phonics problem" in Mesa. Very nice at an increased price, you get what you pay for... (6 Month warranty)

I'm kinda ho-hum on the ECC803 so far. Do not find difference from ECC83 that I had hoped for. (I had hoped for it to be brighter but find it nearly as dark as the JJ ECC83S, which can be a good thing in Marshall applications.) For the price I just go with the ECC83S and keep them for these applications. (90-day warranty is best I can find)

One that hasn't been mentioned is the 12AX7B from CE/AES. This is a nickle plate example that I've had exelent luck with over 100 examples. It looks a lot like the Ruby 7025 Silver Special but the internals are usually off-kanter and the gain and triode-matching is far below the 7025 SS. No Failures for shorts, leaks, microphonics, noise YET- time will tell. It's bright and budget-priced though. May be a good generic 12AX7, though the jury is still out... (90-day warrranty is what they offer so you may get what you pay for).

-Jon

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I've had much better luck with the Tung Sol Reissue so far. The GT-Ms have been up and down, fine in some production runs, problematic in others.

16. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

LOL, other dealers spec their tubes too. Also, Willie is virtually out of the NOS arena.

17. brad347

brad347 Member

I recommend Mike (i guess AKA bluestrat) from KCA NOS tubes. Good guy and i just got some tubes from him that I can't wait to try... marconi 6v6s and a mullard 12at7.

18. JasonP

JasonP Member

No, two completely different tubes.

19. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

That's a fact!

20. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Are you guys trying to imply these tubes arent made in the Chineese factory? I didnt say it was the same tube I said where its made.

BTW I think I got that spelling off on the name.