Mullard?

davestp1

Silver Supporting Member
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ECC83-PINNACLE-VALVE-NEW-TESTED-ORIGINAL-BOX-EXCELLENT-/170638194320?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item27bad43690

I took a chance on this Pinnacle branded tube as an etched code is clearly visible at the bottom in this photo. From what I can gather they are simply a reseller. I got it for about 17 dollars. The tube arrived yesterday, the tube is in a thick tissue paper and cardboard wrapping with the mullard logo and guarantee printed. The box is stamped "foreign" at the ends.

The etched code is I63 or I65, can't really tell. There is a number 3 visible underneath it (1963 or 1973) but the rest of the 4 digit/letter code is not visible. I am assuming the 3 is the second digit of the 4 part code. The number 830, part of the Pinnacle markings is noted. No idea what this is. The tube does not flash on start up but measures very strong.

Any idea where this tube came from and more importantly, is it a Mullard, Phillips or something else?

Last edited:

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
It is from one of the Philips factories. Looks like "I65" to me, which would point more toward Heerlen, Holland (Amperex or Miniwatt).

That's all I can tell from the photo. But you can look more closely at the second line of the codes. Take a look for a sloped triangle shape leading that second line of code; it may look like a "4" at first - that would be the Heerlen factory code.

- Thom

davestp1

Silver Supporting Member
The sloped triangle I have seen on several of my Philips tubes, but there is no etched code visible under the I63/I65 - other than the 3 that is faint. I tried breathing on the tube to see if something would show through but nothing at all. The 3 is visible only at a certain angle. It appears to be unused NOS but you can never be 100 percent certain I guess. As noted, I paid only 17 bucks for it as I thought it "might" be a Mullard and might slip under the radar of other buyers on ebay. It appears to have done that but my concern is if it is a real mullard/philips or not?

Last edited:

Timbre Wolf

my concern is if it is a real mullard/philips or not?
It is a real Philips, but might not be a Blackburn-made (Mullard) Philips. If you post a clear close-up photo of the upper mica disk, we can probably help i.d. with more certainty.

- Thom

Jeff West

Sure looks like "I65" from this one photo. Always risky to deduce too much from one photo, but we can try. "I65" with a "3" year code could be '63 Heerlen, '63 Canadian Philips, or '73 BEL made in India. BTW, a BEL would not actually be a Philips tube, even though they sometimes utilized the Philips coding system and did have relations with Philips.

Several things in the photo look fatally inconsistent with '63 or '73 Blackburn, individually and collectively. Others are likely inconsistent with Indian or Canadian, but hard to be positive from the photo.

I don't see anything that's not completely consistent with '63 Heerlen, that I can think of, that's my prediction. That would mean it's 1963 and "I65".

Timbre Wolf

Sure looks like "I65" from this one photo. Always risky to deduce too much from one photo, but we can try. "I65" with a "3" year code could be '63 Heerlen, '63 Canadian Philips, or '73 BEL made in India. BTW, a BEL would not actually be a Philips tube, even though they sometimes utilized the Philips coding system and did have relations with Philips.

Several things in the photo look fatally inconsistent with '63 or '73 Blackburn, individually and collectively. Others are likely inconsistent with Indian or Canadian, but hard to be positive from the photo.

I don't see anything that's not completely consistent with '63 Heerlen, that I can think of, that's my prediction. That would mean it's 1963 and "I65".
I didn't know BEL was not an official Philips manufacturer. Thanks for the gentle correction, Jeff, and for pointing out other "I65" options.

- Thom

Trending Topics