Multi channel overdrive for AC30

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wild, May 1, 2015.

1. Wild

Wild Member

Hey guys, the band I play in is moving in a more My Bloody Valentine / Band of Susan's direction and I am having trouble with my different levels of gain.

Right now I play an AC30 with some chunky overdrive dialed in and boost it with a rat. I am looking for a pedal that would allow me to set my amp at an edge of breakup sort of sound and give me a few choices of light, medium and high gain. I am looking for something a little less mid focused and flatter, as the rat can sound a little to aggressive and nasally into the vox.

Right now I am looking at:

Barber half gainer
    Bad cat Siamese overdrive

And the weird one, a t-Rex spindoctor 2.

I was thinking if I can find a spindoctor for cheap I could run it into the normal channel of the ac30 and run all my different gain tones from the spindoctor. Sadly there is very little info on how the pedal actually sounds outside of a few demos.

Any other ideas? Really trying to incorporate more shades of gain and controlled feedback into songwriting. Thanks!

2. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

3. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

The thread ender.

4. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

5. Wild

Wild Member

I have played a hotcake and it mushed out a bit, but then again this was with my old cranked tone, not edge of breakup. I'll have to try it again.

Any other suggestions? I am still really curious about the spindoctor if anyone has tried one.

6. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Member

I have a Hotcake. It will flub out at higher gain settings regardless of where your amp is set. It's a cool pedal but I can't see it getting you where you need.

7. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Get the Half Gainer (or just a Gain Changer) and run the Rat in front of it, it'll tame the Rat slightly - keep the gain on the Rat between 9 and 12 o'clock.

8. TMcB

TMcB Member

Box of Rock sorta is a thing.
    T-Rex Mudhoney II would work, and replace your rat.

At the moment I'm running both a Mudhoney II and a Double Hotcake on my board in front of my AC30

9. Liquid_Mojo

Liquid_Mojo Supporting Member

My vote for the King of Tone.

10. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

Me too. It is such a great pedal, and between using your hands, volume knob, and the 2 circuits, you can get anything from low gain blackface type grit to heavy gain.

11. Wild

Wild Member

Maybe I can find a king of tone to check out. Didn't think of that one, thanks!

12. mach1

mach1 Member

Try a good germanium treble booster and use guitar volume and tone to get those different gain levels. You'll be amazed!

13. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

14. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Double Hotcake - use the second (left) side for your low gain breakup tone, and push it with the right side for compressed sustain.

15. AgusAD

AgusAD Member

Hotcake (or RAT) + SHO.

16. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

I use a Vox type amp, not an AC-30, so keep that in mind, but I have had good results with my amp on the edge of breakup with the Half Gainer. And I have had even better results with the Mojo Hand Rook. The Half Gainer is great, but it is a touch more congested than the Rook with my setup. That's for the low to mid gain stuff. For medium to higher gain, I think the Barber starts to sound more like a pedal than the Rook, or else I just like the Rook more. Again, the Barber is great; I just like the sound of the Rook a little more.

17. Dolflundgren

Dolflundgren Member

I was about to suggest the Rook.

I had a Rook Royale for a bit and it would probably serve you very well in that application