Multi-effect for multiple delays and reverbs?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Beakertwang, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

I have a Line 6 M9 that I use almost primarily for delay, reverb, and occasionally tremolo. A couple switches are getting cantankerous, so I picked up a Zoom G3 and a tap switch to fill in while I get it fixed.

So far, I'm really liking the G3. I think the M9's interface is much easier to use, but once I get my patch set, I won't really need the interface much. The Zoom seems to have more clarity--the M9 reverbs are good, but seem to muffle the tone a bit. The only thing I'd definitely miss about the Line 6 is the wow/flutter control on the tape echo.

So I'm considering selling the M9 and keeping the G3. Just wondering what other multi-fx allow for turning off individual effects and running multiple delays in the same patch. Tap tempo is also a must. I usually have 2 different verbs--one spring and one ambient--and a couple different delays that I'll stack for some rhythmic stuff, and maybe a long delay for swells. I don't need amp models, or dirt, and besides tremolo, I probably won't use any other effects at this point.

I've looked at the Digitech RP360. Any other MFX worth considering?

2. iaresee

iaresee Member

3. Beakertwang

I guess I should have mentioned I'm on a budget. ;)

The Fractal costs more that my entire current rig, including my amp and one guitar.

4. D Rock

D Rock Member

I know earthquaker makes a few delay/reverbs in one pedal, that may fit the bill. I would stay away from multi-fx if possible. Buy cheap, buy twice.

5. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

I use the zoom ms100 ht for this. U can use up to 6 FX at once and they sound great

6. Beakertwang

Am I missing any compact MFX pedals priced between the Line 6, Zoom, and Digitech ($200-$400) and the Fractal (over $1000)?

7. iaresee

iaresee Member

Used TC Electronic Nova System or G-System maybe then? You could also look for a used Lexicon MPX G2 and the R1 pedal that goes with it -- still a great sounding unit, especially if you like delays and reverbs, and bonus: it has all-analog drive circuits!

8. Beakertwang

I guess I'm dreaming that, either:
    a) Strymon will put together a MFX--stripped down versions of Timeline, BigSky and Mobius
    b) TC will do a smaller version of the G-System--thing is almost as big as my whole pedalboard! or...
    c) Some new company will come up with something cool with a small footprint and superior sounds that doesn't cost $1300.

9. TheKermitC

TheKermitC Member

hmm.. u read my thoughts... i was just thinking the other day strymon should put out a pedal which combines the best features of both the timeline and big sky

10. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Member

H9? You can't switch individual effects in and out, but some algorithms combine reverb, delay and tremolo. You could just set presets next to one another and bank up or down to switch them in and out. Still only one stomp.

11. rsm

rsm Member

Nova System / G-System don't allow for multiples of the same effect in one preset.

I think the Zoom option is most cost effective solution for multiples of same effect in a single preset. Edit: not sure if each delay effect in a preset can have its' own / different tap tempo?

IMO, this (multiples of any effect) should really be a standard capability in a digital MFX / Modeler, also we should be able to place any effect in any location just like a real pedal board. Hopefully, the next generation of digital MFX will not have these constraints/limitations. (Hello, TCE; Line6 Firehawk,...Boss, though the GT-100 allows for any placement but has limits on number of same type of effect per preset)

12. celticelk

celticelk Member

You're not going to get (a) at a price point that overcomes your objections in (c). Given that individual Strymon big-box effects cost about $450, making a box that does three effects simultaneously for less than $1000-1200 doesn't make any sense from a maximizing-profit perspective. I think that the FX8 is the harbinger of advanced multi-effect floor units, and that includes its price point.

13. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

have JHV3 mod/replace the M9 switches. Much sturdier and won't really break the bank to do

14. Beakertwang

I know. But a guy has to have dreams. :)

That's my plan. I got the G3 as a fill-in.

15. jordane93

jordane93 Member

This. The M9 is a great unit and this mod will make it even better.

16. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

I just posted this in another thread but I might as well share it here: What I wish for in a multi-fx.

Line6 M9

Still waiting!!! The M9 has the best format of any multi-fx for a pedalboard. I've been dreaming of an updated M9 for years now...But sadly, it appears Line6 has abandoned the M-Series and is focusing on amp modeling instead of fx modeling.

-UPDATED ALGOS!!!
    -fx loop for pre/post/4cable method
    -bigger/better LED screen and knobs
    -easier to access looper, tuner, scene change
    -longer looper time
    -4 instead of 3 banks, but still the same size as the M9 (M13 is waaay too big)
    -better switches & audio fidelity (basically the JHV3 mods)
    -they could also eliminate over half of the fx's and just focus on the good ones: mods, delays, & reverbs. The M9 really excels at delays & verbs, and don't they have "HD" reverb algos for the HDx platform now!?! Why can't we get an update with those for the M-Series!?!
    -implement Global EQ like they just released with the new HD update.
    -Keep a few "distortions" like the compressors, eq's, and boosts, these can actually be very handy.
    -add some lazers, a fog machine, & a disco ball. Really get this party started!

If Line6 won't do it, somebody has to! The appeal of the M9 is a sub $500 multi-fx. Eventide or Strymon could obviously do it, and the H9 comes close but no cigar in form factor. But both companies would be too expensive. Would be very cool to see Neunaber do it! The new FA FX8 has the form factor, and will sound excellent, but is too pricey. "Sadly", it looks like Zoom is the best contender for this niche product.

I'd love to see TC Electronic do it: they basically have the form factor in the FBx4, so take that box, put in the Flashback, Hall of Fame, Shaker/Corona/Vortex/Helix/Viscous Vibe, Spark boost, & Ditto looper & Polytune, BOOM! They practically did it (but way too big and limited options) with the Nova & G-System. It's like they have been building to this point, but just haven't done it yet....

As evidenced by my signal chain below, I rather enjoy TC's offerings and think they could make an exceptionally killer Multi-FX for around $500-600. Even if it just has the form factor of the FBx4 so only 3 similtaneous FX options instead of "6" like the M9, I'd still think it would be a great product. Analog Dirts->TC' Multi-FX= awesome toanz.

17. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Either a Zoom MS-70CDR or a Zoom G3. Either will do multiple delays and reverbs. The MS-70CDR has some of the "weirder" emulations while the G3 has the benefit of amp sims, etc. I have both for maximum fun.
    Someone on the Emporium is selling one of each.

18. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

It sounds like you're describing a Zoom G3...

19. celticelk

celticelk Member

Not really. For an effective multi-effects, especially if you want effects to be available in different orders or to use multiple versions of the same effect type, you're really going to need an LCD display. The FBx4/AEx4 interface functions, barely, for what it's doing; it won't work for anything more complex.

20. Beakertwang

TC does have the form factor in the G-System. The G-System, like the M13, is cumbersome to add to a board. A unit that's about 12x8 rather than 20x10 would be nice.

But then again, I'm just dreaming.