Multi effects and amp modelling pedals

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by GrantRowlands, May 29, 2010.

1. GrantRowlands

GrantRowlands Member

Hello, I'm Brand New here.

I'm keen to get feedback/info on how people have found plugging multi effects and modelling pedal boards into the front of their amp.

I am considering a few different multi's at the moment: Digitech RP355, RP1000, Boss ME-25 and ME-70. Not sure what else may suit my needs yet, as I've only just started to look into them.

The amp I am using at the moment is a Vox AD50VT (a modelling amp with effects built in). I am not overly impressed with the amp, and am considering selling it and buying a small Laney LX65R.
    The Laney is a transistor amp with good tone (IMHO). Apart from the simplicity and nice clean tone of the Laney it also appeals in that it has an effects loop, where as the Vox doesn't, so there isn't any options with the Vox about where you plug an effects pedal into.

My question is ... well mainly, ... is what is the opinion regarding using the above multi's in front of the amp (into the guitar input) or using the effects loop ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Great web site. Loads of useful information here !!

Cheers,
    Grant.

2. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

Theoretically if you are using an amp model you want to plug into the fx return of your guitar amp. My POD X3 definitely works better that way. I always turn off the cabinet modellng this way too.

3. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

RP1000 into the FX return of my combo sounds awesome. I keep amp and cabinet modeling always on, but I have replaced the speaker with a high power one which has better (flatter) frequency response than the original Celestion.

4. sahhas

sahhas Member

i have been plugging my amp modeller into the front of my amps for about 9 yrs now.
    for a while i had my rp150 going into zoom g2 then into my fender keyboard 60 amp (i like a clean amp), for the past few months i've removed the g2 from my setup (i have a bunch of other pedals in there too)....i have never thought of the amp modeler as a true substitute for all those "classic or sought after amps", i generally just think of it as a multi-flavor distortion box (clean to middle to distorto sounds)....
    and i should say that i've honestly never owned any of the so called classic or sought after amps, just heard them for yrs & yrs on recordings...i just like them b/c they are cheap and flexible and offer a lot of sound options.....
    my take at least.....

5. GrantRowlands

GrantRowlands Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
    I hadn't considered getting a powered speaker . . . . that may be just the solution, as I do want the amp and cab modelling, as well as the effects. I see that as being the whole point of a multi fx unit, otherwise I would just get a few more pedals.

As I mentioned, my AD50VT doesn't have an fx loop, so given that I do want to be able to use all the features of a multi that has amp modelling, I think I will sell my amp first.

Watch this space !! :)

6. germs

germs Member

i did both the "straight into the front" and the "direct to board" thing for years.

when going into the front of my amp, i was using a Boss GT6. personally i think that the Boss units are the best for this sort of thing. one of those boards is essentially a Boss FX library. TONS of very usable pedals in a relatively low price point. BOSS ME 25/50/70 is what i would consider if i were going back to being a Roland/BOSS user.

IME, Roland/BOSS makes the best MFX floor-based standalone units on the market. i've been totally underwhelmed by similar offerings from Line6, Digitech, etc.

now, if you're after the amp-modelers...Digitech or Line6 is where it's at. just sort of depends on what you want.

7. GrantRowlands

GrantRowlands Member

MMMmmm ...... I don't want much ..... just great effects AND amp modelling in the one pedal !!! :)
    Like everything ... it's always going to be a compromise, so I'll probably choose out of a Boss ME 70, or maybe a Digitech RP355 ..... I like the idea of having a looper, as an option, and the Boss wins there, having 38 seconds as opposed to 20 seconds on the Digitech models.
    I think the ME 70 has only about 7 or 8 amps it models, where the Digitech has quite a few more. Having good distortion/overdrive, modulation, and delay is important, as is Wah and volume expression pedals.
    The only minus I see with the Boss ME 70, is that it doesn't have a USB connection for recording easily into a PC, or the ability to update any presets or models.

I'll still look to change my amp as a first step to get good clean tone, with an FX loop, and then go from there I guess ...

Pleased to hear you got good results "germs", with your GT6 plugged into the front of your amp. I guess because I'm not overly happy with my amp, that the next one I get will need to have an FX loop, so I've got the option of using it or the front end, depending where things generally sound best.

Thanks for the input and advice guys.

8. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I think the Vox modeling amps sound great, so I wonder if any modeler is going to work for you. If you do decide to get another modeler, you'll probably be better off using a powered monitor rather than the Laney.

9. GrantRowlands

GrantRowlands Member

Each to there own. I'm not that impressed with 'this' Vox model, but I know other's rate Vox modelling (as in ToneLab etc) to be really good. In my amp, I am just not that happy with the amp simulations, and I have previously owned some of the better tube amps around, and I think I have a reasonable ear for tone . . . . (I've been playing on and off for about 44 years).

However these days I just want a simple setup, and a nice clean small combo .. with an effects loops ... and probably a Boss ME 70, ... will probably suit me fine. I play Blues/Jazz/Rock and various stuff. I don't need to have a stack ... :)

I had a bit of a look around, and it seems that powered monitors are quite dear here in N.Z., where as a second hand Laney is pretty reasonable. I think a Laney, Peavey, of Fender FM would fit the bill ok for what I would like.
    Cheers. :)

10. rsm

rsm Member

I use a Vox ToneLab LE into an FRFR rig. It does a good job at getting vintage amp tones, at least close enough, haven't tried it for high gain, not my thing...the effects are ok/good...none as good as my Nova System, but I'm not an effects guy. I agree, going with a full modeler you might as well get an FRFR rig. For a low cost option, check out the Tech 21 Power Engine's. Heard good things about them, have not tried them so...:dunno

11. huutevar

huutevar Member

If you want a simple setup you might also consider a Super Champ XD. It is a great all-in-one solution if you need a 15 watt amp.

I can also recommend an RP1000 into the effects loop in of a tube amp. It sounds great and is extremely versatile.

12. rsm

rsm Member

In addition to the ToneLab LE I mentioned previously, I use a Nova System in front of a Fender tube amp set to clean, edge of break up and use guitar vol to control; next up,

a G-System on the way that I will do likewise (in front of a tube amp (no effects loop)), or run a preamp / SansAmp in the loop, G-System out to FRFR.

13. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Member

if you should decide to plug into the front input of an amp, be sure to set the tone stack flat to grt good sounds. Treble 0, Mid 10, Bass 0. It makes all the difference in the world.

14. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I'm not sure if modeling setups are ever really considered a "simple" setup.

Sounds like you could do well with just a good Tube amp with trem and reverb, and a mini pedalboard. Silverface Deluxe Reverb.

Tuner->Boost->Delay and the amp's tremolo and reverb should be plenty of tones. Esp when you factor in your guitars volume/tone controls.

I love my modeling setup, but I'm not sure its what you need.

dk

15. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

SuperChamp XD channel 1, clean tube, add any kind of dirt pedal in front and have fun. Channel 2, have fun with various amp simulations with tube backend.

You could even play at full volume at most gigs with this one.

16. rsm

rsm Member

I just tried my Nova System direct to my Bose L1 (FRFR). Turned on the speaker sim in the NS, and tried different presets in the Bose T1 engine. I found the General Direct preset worked well. No amp character on clean though, and no way to induce any type of od or dist without using the NS, so I may need to try my DC Liquid Blues in front to see if it warms it up. Not quite a standalone direct board, but it sounded better than I remember. A bit more tweaking and combinations perhaps...but still sounded good. Maybe adding a character pedal or two...

17. mattball826

mattball826 Member

i heard system like this. 2 bose with sub plus character pedal and nova pedal. it sounded very good. was at wedding and band was great through those bose towers.