MULTI EFFECTS or SINGLE PEDALS???

afroshredder

im thinking of getting a line 6 mm4 multi effects unit

however i just want to gain peoples views on whether to get this unit or separate phasers, flangers, tremelo, chorus, etc etc.

so what do you guys think, all in one or separates?????????

rob2001

I used a multi for many years gigging live. In that time, I discovered I really don't use a ton of effects. After figuring out I don't really care much for flange, phase, tremolo, etc... I spent some time finding the right delay, a chorus and a wah. Just my opinion but I think you can get much better sound quality, tailored to your liking with individual effects but it takes a lot of time and money to find the right ones for you. Pedal makers are counting on this!!

In short, i'll answer this the way I could answer most posts on preferences....it depends!

gbsmusic

I agree100% with both, you do get what you pay for in pedals though. Get good ones and make sure you know what you are going to use. It sucks buying a $300 pedal that you find you just dont use very much!

peridot1

For live use I like using a multi. Most likely the GT-10 using my own gain pedal in the loop. For recording I use individual pedals.

Sherwood

If you can afford... get the best of both worlds: TC Electronic G-System and up to 5 of your favorite drive pedals in it´s loops.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
Right now I use a wah, a couple OD's and a DD-20 which gives me 3 different delays, a chorus and a leslie sim. However I made a list of FX which i would like to have available once in a while.

Compressor (for clean tones only)
Volume pedal
Trem
Phaser
autowah
Hi gain distortion
The ability to control certain parameters in real time (like delay level)

I realized there is no way all of that would fit on any reasonably sized board and even if it did routing all of that and then tap dancing to get all the tones I need on a song by song or even section by section basis would be a nightmare.

My solution after looking at all the option is the M13. I will be getting it next week and I'll put it through its paces at rehearsal and see if it cuts it. If not I can always send it back and start back at square1.

redpill

cheers guys for the input
by the souns of it, it is all down to preference and use really
Absolutely, as is almost always the case when it comes to choosing musical tools.

I personally prefer individual pedals for a host of reasons. That said, if I was playing in, say, a live cover band, a multi would become much more appealing. The need to radically alter which effects you are using in one step could be much higher in those circumstances. For originals, that's never been a need I've run into.

Passenger84

Silver Supporting Member
I'm definitely a single pedals guy. However, I did just come into possession of a Damage Control Glass Nexus, and that one did really surprise me for a multi-effects pedal. Also, some friends play the M13, and I hate to admite it, but the modulations on that thing sound really good. Still, I tend to find that single pedals sound best in my rig.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
Absolutely, as is almost always the case when it comes to choosing musical tools.

I personally prefer individual pedals for a host of reasons. That said, if I was playing in, say, a live cover band, a multi would become much more appealing. The need to radically alter which effects you are using in one step could be much higher in those circumstances. For originals, that's never been a need I've run into.
The MAIN reason I just purchased an M13 is so that I could switch from a clean tone with compression to a dirty rhythm or lead and no compression with ONE tap.

The cost of a compressor, A/B/ Y switch, cabling and amount pedalboard real estate to make that happen with analog pedals was too just too much. I also wanted the ability to have delay, chorus and leslie available without loosing the delay, which is not possible with the DD-20 - its either/or. I'm definitely a SPARSE FX user but this thing just makes so much sense to me in terms of cost, size and simplicity. I will see if it can hold up to an all analog pedal board when it arrives next week.

that_brianm_guy

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm definitely a single pedals guy. However, I did just come into possession of a Damage Control Glass Nexus, and that one did really surprise me for a multi-effects pedal. Also, some friends play the M13, and I hate to admite it, but the modulations on that thing sound really good. Still, I tend to find that single pedals sound best in my rig.
I use a Yamaha MagicStomp for 90% of my modulation. It does very good reverb, digital delay, chorus, flange, trem, and a bunch of Holdsworth volume swell stuff. I find that multi effects are great for when you need a specific sound for one tune, or variations of one sound - a Van halen style flange on one tune, an Andy Summers style on the next, because then you can use presets - no need to bend down and tweak knobs between tunes. Also, multi-effects often have cool combination presets that you can tweak - chorus delay reverb patches - that can be turned on and off more easily than tap dancing over multiple boxes. FWIW, I keep the MS in a true bypass loop, so it's easy to have the right patch up and running, and pop it in and out as needed.

That said, most of my dirt comes from the amp or individual pedals; I've never been a fan of multi-effect distortion, although they often do a good 80s hair-metal tone :)

So, multifx for modulation, individual pedals for dirt is my bottom line...

Wheeler004

I would go with separate pedals for several reasons. A multi-effects pedal might have a couple of good effects you, like, but a couple you don't. If you go for single pedals, you can make sure every effect is the one you want. Also, I think analog single pedals sound far superior to anything a digital modeler can put out. Just my two cents.

scott58

When it come to OD/Distortions and fuzz you pretty much have to go with analog pedals. They just destroyed my XT Live without even breaking a sweat. but the H2O chorus/echo was only marginally better then the POD. It was better but certainly not $190 better. Wish i'd of put that money towards a butler tube driver. Live and learn.

sandman

I've seen many pro boards with FM4s and I wouldn't worry much...

Audiences love to hear some modulation, it's THE effect that makes them intrigued NOT the sound quality...all this from utilitarian point of view of course.

Trending Topics