multi effects that sends midi?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Tone Loco, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Can somebody tell me which if any of the current multi-effects floor units other than the line 6 M9 can be hooked up to a RJM amp gizmo or other midi driven box?

In case I'm asking the wrong thing, my goal is to have a way to switch amp functions as part of hitting the multi effects buttons. This is for live use.

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

The HD 500 has MIDI sending capability. Some are using it for this purpose, I'm sure they'll chime in.

3. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

Although it's not a multi-effects unit per se, the Eventide Timefactor can actually be used as a controller. Probably a number of them do...

TC Electronic Nova System is another...

_

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. fly135

fly135 Member

The Pod XT Live sends midi control messages.

5. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I think the GT-10 and GSP 1101 can as well.

6. gumtown

gumtown Member

What sort of midi data are you after?
    Generally most channel switching amps work with Program change data,
    so you would be looking for a MFX which sends program change midi data,
    which means your amp's channels would be selected on changing from one MFX patch to another only, and not within an already selected patch (did you follow that?).
    The Boss GT range can do that, the GT-8,GT-10,GT-100 also have programmable amp switching relay too, if your amp accepts a simple foot switch channel change pedal (with TS jack input).
    That will allow you to change amp channel without having to change patch on the MFX.

7. B Money

B Money Member

The Nova System transmits midi messages only when changing presets. The midi mapping function is useful for controlling external devices with PC messages.
    Nova System also transmits CC status messages, but again, only when changing Presets. So just toggling an effect on/off within a preset does not trigger a midi message to be sent.
    It's a limitation that you can sort of work around, but it's kludgy. The good news is; if you're planning on using an AMp Gizmo you should be fine.

8. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

What I typically want is to switch between the amp's clean, OD, and Boost, or a combination of those, while just hitting a button that gives me effects for clean or OD for solos etc.

Pretty much like what this guy is saying, once he finally gets around to it...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJA5IbU6CDg

Although just being able to kick in the amp functions without changing a preset does seem like a fairly basic thing to have.

Thanks for the info so far, and I'm also curious if the Zoom G3 could do this?

9. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

The G3 needs to be connected to a computer to send MIDI program changes, or a stand-aone USB>MIDI host. It works fine for stepping up/down through patches, but I'd want something that can store multiple MIDI program change commands per patch to work with something like the amp gizmo.