multi fx to single pedals=crap jam last nite

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimSt.L, Feb 22, 2012.

1. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I've been using multi fx for over fifteen years. I finally sold a couple things and built a very straightforward pedalboard.

An ernie volume, bad horsie 2, digitech whammy,mxr carbon copy delay, Delta labs flanger, and an isp decimator.

Well i had all kinds of issues last night. Frustrated the hell out of me. A very loud buzz was coming from somewhere. I trial and errored it all and found that the second I plug in my one spot to any pedal that's in the chain, it will start buzzing like crazy. are single pedal boards usually a pain in the ass? Are people constantly changing patch cables, one spots etc? If so, I might just go back to my pod xt live.

Just a bit frustrated.

2. inystad

inystad Member

The reason that happened is because the onespot isn't isolated, thus if one pedal is noisy, it spreads to all the pedals (someone help me explain this better).

I'm fine. I highly recommend Lava ELC solderless patch cables and a power unit with isolated outlets, such as Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+, CIOKS, etc.

3. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

That makes sense. I bought all brand new patch cables, all brand new pedals, and a new one spot with the five pedal adapter so I can run five pedals off of one One spot.

4. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    The only multi-effects unit that I bought in the last 25 years is the TC Nova System. My first multi-effects unit was a small one that worked nicely, but just broke down after years of use. Everything else I have used has been p-boards.

The TC NS can be set up in pedal board format and is really flexible and easy to use.
    If you are considering going back to a multi-effects format but want extreme simplicity, ease-of-use, and reliability, look into a Nova System.

For extremely small stage venues, I use a volume pedal, wah, Tim, and a Vox VT80+ with it's 5 button pedal, all not mounted to a p-board, just freestanding. My p-board has my NS on it and can be too much for really cramped stages sometimes. I also use a One-Spot, but have never encountered the problem you stated. Is it possible that you have a ground loop problem?

5. inystad

inystad Member

Btw, if I remember correctly you need 9V AC 1300 mA to power the Whammy.

6. npfrs

npfrs Member

The onespot won't run your Whammy. Used the supplied adapter.

7. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Tim, sorry to hear about your bad first experience with pedals. Let me first assure you that single stompboxes, albeit larger in total number, offer you a whole lot more control over your sound. A couple suggestions for you:

1. It's been said, but you'll need to use the adaptor for the Whammy. It would suck up all the juice alone from your 1-spot because of the high current draw.

2. 1-spots are great for grab-n-go boards, but if you're gigging out with the board, I would recommend a T-Rex or Voodoo Lab power supply to help eliminate that nasty hum you experienced. Of course, that may have been coming from the starved mA draw due to your Whammy, too.

Good luck, and post your follow-up! Always exciting to see someone finding what works for them!!

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Whammy will not run on the One Spot.

9. theroan

theroan Member

For a long a time I was only running an M13. I miss the simplicity.

10. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

I tend to only use 2-3 pedals at a time (on battery power). Any more than that, I go MFX ( for these exact reasons)

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I run anywhere from 6 to 9 pedals on my board. I use a One Spot. No noise, no problems. Never met a multi fx that I liked or could easily understand.

OP likely has one pedal that needs to be powered separately or he needs isolated power supplies.

12. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

you didn't plug the whammy in the one spot, did you?

13. JHVRay

JHVRay Member

Just get a PedalPower 2, use the supplied adapter for the Whammy and plug it into the plug on the back of the PP2 and voila!

In one of my bands, the other guitar player uses a one spot/power bar combo... runs 3 or 4 "boss sized" 9V pedals with the 1-spot, and uses the power bar for his Line6 DL4 (1-spot also plugs into powerbar).

Good luck!

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Maybe a looper too.

15. schrom81

schrom81 Member

Get the Pedal Power 2. It will solve your problems.

16. failed_astronaut

failed_astronaut Member

I had a similar issue with a one spot, it buzzed in my flat and at my friends place but not when I took it back to the store I bought it from! In the end I used the daisy chain with a BOSS PSA and have left the 1-Spot PSA in it's box.

Here's a chart showing you what will/will not work with a 1-spot -

www.visualsound.net/PDF/1SPOTCompatibilityChart.pdf

17. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

:agree

18. KCWM

KCWM Member

+1 for the NS. I moved from multiple singles to the Nova Modulator, Nova Delay/Repeater to the Nova System. I've been pretty happy with it and it's been pretty easy to program. Pete Thorn did some stuff with it and provided some pretty nifty presets.

I haven't been as impressed with the drive effect, so I still use my Box of Rock and OCD.

19. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

i had the pt2 with the pp2+ and lava solderless cables and a bunch of good pedals.

the day i traded all that crap in for the M13 was a great day

20. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Another thing to take into account is the distance between the power supply and the Bad Horsie 2.

I have mounted my wireless receiver on the underside of my pedal board (3/4" plywood) and its power supply (500mA @12V) would drive the wah crazy when using it. I had to move it to the extreme opposite side of the pedal board. The hum is now gone.

Based on the number of pedals you have, you could benefit from using an ISO-5, because it provides a 300mA @9/12V output to power the BH2, and should be enough to power the rest of your pedals, save the whammy for which I am sure you will need the supplied adapter.