Multi-Guitar Stands for Nitrocellulose Finishes

SG-GUY 92'

Silver Supporting Member
I am looking at purchasing some multi guitar stands, and I am aware of the problems that most stands can cause for guitars with nitrocellulose finishes. Looking for stands that hold 5-7 guitars. I would like to stay on the less expensive side of things, but if it will protect the guitars then the extra money is no big deal. So far the most promising stands I have found based on materials used at the contact points is one of the really expensive Fender stands. They use the same material as the inside of their cases. I would assume they would be nitrocellulose safe in that case? Is there any other options besides these? What stands do you use and prefer?

Thanks!

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
I have a Warwick Rockstand, its kinda flimsy but it has never damaged the finishes on my Les Pauls.

nbtrue

String swing makes one that uses the same material as their wall hangers and I know from experience that those are nitro safe

ED_P

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, that rubber tubing is bad stuff.

Years ago I brought some really clever, and very high quality (solid metal, not tubing) low profile multi guitar stands called "The Last Stand", made in a shop in Questa, New Mexico.

After a few months the rubber tubing resting against the back of my Nitro Les Paul left a "gouge" in the shape of the tubing across the back of my LP.

After that I started storing the Nitro guitars on another stand. The crazy part which I doubt many of you will believe, is after several years, the gouge slowly disappeared. All I can figure is some weird surface tension thing was going on with the nitro finish, and the finish flowed back to it's original shape over a couple years enough that I can't see the divot any more.

Here's a pic of the design. Very low profile.

the-last-stand-professional-4-guitar-quad-stand-excellent-50-eugene-americanlisted_27622721.jpg

Last edited:

SG-GUY 92'

Silver Supporting Member

The K&M's look promising. I read on other forums when researching them that some had issues with them creating cloudy spots on their finishes. It was a few people. Im hesitant to purchase them at that price with the potential for that to happen.

I have a hercules one that I like
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...7nb9ZOJ8I7v52vogP0DaC4uMbq3zVbg98IaAtkq8P8HAQ
I have had it for 2 years and drug it in and out of a hundred places by now.

Hercules has known problems with nitrocellulose finishes right? I know its not a problem for everyone, but I have read about them enough.

I think the safest one will be the Fender Case Stand with the material liner. I've had mine for awhile and it's proven to be safe with Fender CS, Gibson Historics/CS, PRS, Music-Man, Martin, Kamaka, etc. Other stands all damaged my guitars especially NOS Olympic White Fender CS guitars.

Last edited:

Squatch57

Also be careful leaning your nitro guitar neck on amp tolex
I had a nasty mark on my nitro Tele neck when it reacted to the brown tolex on my old Pignose 30/60

not2shabby

Yeah, that rubber tubing is bad stuff.

Years ago I brought some really clever, and very high quality (solid metal, not tubing) low profile multi guitar stands called "The Last Stand", made in a shop in Questa, New Mexico.

After a few months the rubber tubing resting against the back of my Nitro Les Paul left a "gouge" in the shape of the tubing across the back of my LP.

After that I started storing the Nitro guitars on another stand. The crazy part which I doubt many of you will believe, is after several years, the gouge slowly disappeared. All I can figure is some weird surface tension thing was going on with the nitro finish, and the finish flowed back to it's original shape over a couple years enough that I can't see the divot any more.

Here's a pic of the design. Very low profile.

the-last-stand-professional-4-guitar-quad-stand-excellent-50-eugene-americanlisted_27622721.jpg

I've only ever seen one of these, owned by a guy in a local tribute band. I haven't asked him if there is any damage to the finishes on his guitars. He plays PRS guitars. Maybe they aren't nitrocellulose.

I guess they are discontinued. Until I found your post I haven't seen another one anywhere. Aside from the finish question, it seems like a great design.

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve got the Hercules five guitar rack, with added neck holders for up to eight. The foam is supposed to be nitro safe, and so far my only nitro guitar shows zero signs of any finish issue.

Guppie

I have a cheap one with the rubber tubing but I've taped up the contact areas with fabric tape sold in most bicycle shops. Works great and is cheaper

blues

Silver Supporting Member
I have a cheap one with the rubber tubing but I've taped up the contact areas with fabric tape sold in most bicycle shops. Works great and is cheaper

Currently I use a pair of old socks. :crazy

Atdi2000

Silver Supporting Member
I've used a Quik Lok GS-471 for about 15 years with no issues, have had mostly gibsons with nitro finishes in it over that time span.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom