Multi meter accuracy?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by v-verb, Feb 23, 2008.

1. v-verb

v-verb Member

Guys,

I've done the search and couldn't find an answer so here goes. I've bought and sold a few pickups and consistently my cheapo multimeters seem to read the ohms lower than what they really are.

Case in point: I purchased a non t-top pickup a while back and it read 8.28 kohms. At home my meter read 8.05. I went out and bought another cheapo multi meter and it read 8.08.

Doesn't seem like a big deal but when it comes to vintage pickups it can be. I traded an old DW PAF that I read as having 8.0 something K ohms. Turns out it was actually something like 8.3 k ohms.

As well I'm wondering about the accuracy of voltage readings, etc when using my meter to doublecheck my variac voltage output.

So what meters are most accurate and do I have to spend big bucks?

Thanks!

Nigel

2. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

+1 for the Fluke line of meters. Also, if you're using the meter for trade (even if the trade is just a hobby) where accuracy and reputation can be synonymous, you might consider sending your nice new Fluke to the calibration lab -- you get a nice sticker saying somebody official thinks it's accurate too.

3. v-verb

v-verb Member

Excellent suggestions - many thanks!

4. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Be careful about how you test for resistance. How did you attach the probes to the leads? If the leads are oxidized you might get a higher reading. If you're holding them in your hand, you might get a lower reading due to the parallel path through your body. Are you using aligator clips?

Also, when using multimeters its a good idea to twist the probe wires together, this reduces the 'loop area', and makes them less liable to act like antennas.

Cheers

Kris

5. v-verb

v-verb Member

Hi Kris,

Alligator clips, no touching of the leads.

Thanks!

Nigel

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Temp affects the readings you get, too. Measure a pickup, then hold it your hand or under a light for awhile, then measure it again. You'll get a higher reading.

7. v-verb

v-verb Member

8. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Hey, I've got one of those model 11 meters. Works like a champ, you won't be disappointed. If you put it on diode-check it will more accurately measure batteries too.