Multiple-Channel Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eSS eSS, Mar 2, 2012.

1. eSS eSS

eSS eSS Member

Are they bad Compared to something such as a DC/30 or SLP? As in, is it in the CirCuitry? Do I have to Buy 2 mAZ 18s to get Clean and Dirty? Is it for more Sales of Amps?!?

2. torquil

torquil Member

Being a multiple channel amp says nothing about the tone, so the answer to your first question is no.

3. eSS eSS

eSS eSS Member

Then why would so many boutique amps have 1?

4. eSS eSS

eSS eSS Member

Mesa s have 2 but are they considered to be up there with Umm Bad Cat?

5. torquil

torquil Member

The Mesa Mark V has three I think (and if I'm not mistaken they have a four channel rectifier model?).

There are many opinions about this or that type of amp being worse and better, but those are only opinions. You probably have to try different amps for yourself. It is important to do it with an open mind.

6. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

multiple channel amps are bad;
    they are clearly the reason why the world is in such terrible condition.
    bad mojo.
    one channel rulz.

all multi-channel amps, no matter how well-designed & made, sound like watery, bee-buzzing, icepicking crap.....
    unless you only use one of the channels.

then, that channel will be able to deliver the strength of all the channels, together,
    so that.....

Yea, Verily!,
    Let it Be Known that Ye Will Then Soundeth The Trumpets of Yahweh's Own Majestic & Thunderous Toanz!

sorry; just kidding.
    imo & ime:
    there are plenty of brilliant sounding & feeling multi-channel amps to be played.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Why don't you listen to some and see which you think sound better.

8. somedude

somedude Member

IMO...

Early channel switchers usually tried to share as many components as possible between the two channels, which ultimately meant that you usually wound up with an amp with one well designed channel, and a second channel that was more of an afterthought (and sounded like an afterthought). It's why so many early high gain heads had a wicked lead channel and a flat/boring/lifeless clean channel.

Some modern channel switchers have developed to the point where each channel is treated as an equal and developed accordingly. Mesa seems to have finally figured it out on their current generation of channel switchers, in which they've started using separate input stages for different channels as well as stacked tone pots so that each channel gets the correct pot values in a shared EQ setup.

Boutique builders typically do single channel amps because that's where the money is for them. People want an old school Marshall/Fender amp built to a quality that neither company is capable of anymore and the boutique dudes provide it.

That said, there's plenty of boutique builders that are building multi channel heads. There's lots of interest in amps that can switch between a Plexi and modded JCM800... or a Fender clean/Marshall dirty. Maybe they don't stand out as much on TGP, but if you go to a more Rock/Metal oriented forum (i.e., Rigtalk) they're all over the place.

9. torquil

torquil Member

I don't consider amps with a shared eq setup to be multi-channel amps. To me, each channel must have separate vol/gain/eq/master at the very least.

10. somedude

somedude Member

Mesa Mark II had a clean mode and a lead mode with a shared EQ and the ability to switch between them.

The Fender Twin has two distinct channels with separate EQ for each channel.

Yet everyone calls the Mark II a multi-channel amp and no one complains about how having multiple channels on the Twin, Plexi or AC30 has ruined the tone of those amps.

11. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I think a lot of boutique makers go for simple circuits partly because they might prefer it, but also because it's much easier to produce in a one man operation. Consider the work if one builder had to do all the work for a point to point Mesa MK 5. Couldnt be done.

But to answer the original question - no, imho there is nothing that make multi channel amps inferior by design. It all depend on how and to what quality they are made. I gig with either a Rivera R55 or a DC30. I used to gig with a Mesa MK III. They all sound great to me.

12. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Agreed.

Some players spend the majority of their time at the far ends of CLEAN<------> DIRTY. As a practical matter, these folks are served well by channel switchers or clean amps + pedals.

Others (me included) live in the never-never land in between, rarely needing pristine clean nor heavily distorted tones. IME, single-channel amps do a great job of cleanish to moderate OD sounds. As such, those are the better tool for me.

YMMV

13. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

IMO , in multi channel amps you always sacrifice something - the clean channel may be great Fender, but the overdrive sucky Marshall, etc.. I'v e given up trying to find everything in one box. If you can afford it both $$ and space wise, go Princeton/Deluxe/HArvard - even Champ;AC15; Marshall Studio 15. PIck 3 and there's enough tone experimentation, esp. w/NOS tubes, to last you a lifetime. You'll become a better player as well

14. eSS eSS

eSS eSS Member

So you have to Buy Two amps to get a Great Clean and Dirty there?

Bruno 30 Why not have Two Channels

15. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

multichannel amps are hard to do right.

single channel amps are easy to build.

16. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I would rather have 1 great channel with some killer pedals than 2-3 mediocre channels.

17. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Yes...Multi-Channel amps suck out the tonez. Let's all boycott Dumble!:rimshot

18. dughaze

dughaze Member

I have single and multi-channel amps. I also have single and multi-speaker cabs.

It's all good.

19. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Love my single channel Germino, Victoria and Bruno. Love my multichannel Bogners. To my ears, a great tube circuit OD channel (as in a Bogner) sounds a little better than a great OD pedal through a single channel amp. So these days I prefer the Bogners. That could change.

20. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

not sure if actually sophie's choice.