Multiple Delays

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jess 1971, May 21, 2020.

1. Riffa

Riffa Member

Yes, same here. Awesome pedal. However, I don’t use it with other delays. I have been using a Montavillian into a DD-7 right now. Have only just started to explore the possibilities, but I really like what I’ve got so far.

2. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

Similar setup here ... Dig & El Capistan are my primary delays and then the Deco is sort of for light lead work, slap back, or the modulation effects. I have the Volante but switched back to the El Cap for its simplicity. I had the H9 and the Nemesis at one point ... both great multi-delays with presets; this, as I really wanted/thought I needed presets. I started to notice that, when playing live, I didn't really use presets as I just ended up sticking with just a few delay types. Even with all of the options, I found that it was easier to have and work with the different delay pedals for a more WYSIWYG experience -- definitely more of a mental thing and, easier to make slight adjustments on the fly.

3. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

I keep a Zoom MS-100BT (similar to MS-70CDR) around, actually 2. 1 unit is the size of a single pedal and can have up to 6 delay effects at once, depending on the processing power needed. Typically one 3 effects are needed for some interesting delay effects.

Oh, and check out this series!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    HomeInMyShoes and Jess 1971 like this.
  4. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

It's 375. Andy Timmons said so. ;)

TL;DR likes this.
  5. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Member

I think Strymon's small boxes are better than their big ones. As well as the three stated above, I also own a Flint and a Lex. While the big box effects offer many more settings and presets, they still cannot do what their smaller units offer.

6. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    To those of you using multiple delays, what type of music, or band are you playing in that uses these different delays/reverbs, please?

I play in a pop/rock/country band, and have an HX FX set to one delay, and one reverb which fits everything we do currently.

I want to try to get back to individual pedals, possibly, if our band work picks up again after the covid thing finally allows us to back to what we used to do, but I wouldn't need multiple delays then either, except that I would like to try different settings if the song allowed.

7. Spanndrew

Spanndrew Member

Because they are fun and like sucks so I do fun things when possible.

Nevets, C-4 and TL;DR like this.
  8. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

I use the Deep Blue Delay and the Dual Blue. I love stacking delays, parallel delay, multi head delay. With these two I can get it all.

C-4 likes this.
  9. ogguitar

ogguitar Member

I've got a Timeline and a Daydream. The Daydream is a pretty unique effect. I suppose you could include my Count to 5 as well since it handles my other "special effect" delays. I usually use my Timeline for ambience, oscillations, dotted 1/8s, and some DMM esque stuff... aka standard delays more or less.

Not Orange, C-4 and Jess 1971 like this.
  10. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Ok, I have two reasons:

1) it is nice to stack a short delay and a longer delay.
    2) tape echo adds grit, which is great for dirty sounds, but not for crystalline like cleans, a digital style delay, with higher fidelity, works better for that application.

This can obviously be accomplished with one big box, but it is fun to mix flavors. Right now, I run a Belle Epoch in the front of my amp for that pushed tape echo sound, and an Hxfx in the loop for all the digital sounds. I have a Flashback mini in the mail right now, which I am hoping to use to mix and match with the hxfx.

C-4 likes this.
  11. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

When performing out (playing covers) on a few songs ... there is definitely a need for very specific delays, think: U2 vs Floyd. That said, I am in neither a U2 or Floyd cover band so, besides the occasion song, I would agree that just a basic delay would suffice for my needs <-- to this use scenario. Certainly, the CASH songs in our repertoire enjoy the touch of a little slapback.

That all being said ... I love the delay effect and, from a perspective of creative exploration and song creation, I treat the effect almost as if it was an instrument of its own, playing around/sculpting with its textures and washes -- adding depth and some character to melotic chordal/note progressions. Depending, it can be very subtle at times or prominently featured. <-- hope that all made sense. Considering that I like to do a lot of nuanced adjustments during such exploration, this probably speaks to why I enjoy the selection of small-box Strymons and their related control schemes.

dbagchee and C-4 like this.
  12. C-4

C-4 Member

Thank you for the replies to my question.

In our band, I get into a solo, and get out quickly so the song doesn't go too long, which is why I only use a "basic" "catch all styles" delay. I have added a slap back to the HX FX and while I like it, it is hard, in our band, to find some songs where it might add something to the song. I try not to call attention to the guitar unnecessarily, so that it fits the song as the song should sound in the heads of the audience.

Ry@n likes this.
  13. Kurt Leege

Kurt Leege Member

1. Feeding different types of delay into each other. I will often set one delay for a specific sound and a second for a totally different sound at half time.

2. Delays have different flavors & things they do well - even the top end units that have lots of presets. For instance, I have the first preset on my timefactor set to a long reverse delay that I use to build pad textures and then hit infinite repeat. I have that delay on my board almost exclusively to use that feature - though i’m thinking of replacing that with a Mood, which is also another delay.

3. Having the option to run various modulation or reverb pedals pre or post delay. I have one delay immediately post distortion and others post modulation so I have routing options.

PhuzzphayzZ and Ry@n like this.
  14. Ry@n

Ry@n Member

I currently have an analog delay (DM-2w) and a digital tape delay (RE-20, though I am leaning heavily to replacing that with an El Capistan).

I like having one set to slap-back and another to use for longer/more repeats. Getting repeats of the already slapped-back note is an effect I like. Also, the types of delays do sound different.

I am actually considering also adding a straight-up digital delay to have that option. I am sure I could get away with just one pedal if it was a TimeLine or something, but I like to keep my analog delay analog rather than a digital recreation (if I could justify the cost, I’d opt for real tape over a digital recreation, as well, but I’m not there yet).

C-4 likes this.
  15. C-4

C-4 Member

Concerning the thought of using a real tape delay machine, we used a Roland Space Echo, and it involves having extra tape loops, and a "demag" for demagnatizing the heads and alcohol and swabs for cleaning the tape heads. This type of unit, while sounding as authentic for what it is as possible, does require constant looking after.

Be happy you don't have these extra things to do along with everything else we players have to consider. :)

Ry@n likes this.
  16. Ry@n

Ry@n Member

Oh yes, it’s not practical for me at all, even if it was affordable! I would likely need to embrace the maintenance as a hobby in itself.

C-4 likes this.
  17. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

I have a home studio board so I don't overthink things much, I just have pedals that inspire me to write & create. Today, I've got 4 delays & reverb pedals on it and they're all fun.

Ry@n and Jess 1971 like this.
  18. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I have an el cap and a thermae on my big board, both are super different el cap is my main for the traditional stuff, thermae is for the weird sounds and textures.

19. 2Badde

2Badde Member

More delay pedals = more fun... fun... fun... There are so many cool things you can do with multiple delay pedals - even better if they are stereo. Creating unique chorus, reverb, slap-back and doubling effects. Running a reverse delay into a reverse delay, splitting the outs of one and two into the ins of the third... as pointed out earlier - delay into drive into delay into reverb into delay. I'm not talking about cranking all the controls when super-stacking to create a wash of noise laden repeats, although you can. Subtle delay settings going into subtle delay settings creates beautiful washes. DD7 / Nemesis / DMM are a killer trifecta.

Ry@n and Barnzy like this.
  20. fab38

fab38 Member

Well, I've got 6 delay pedals, including one with 2in1. The reasons are : I love delays, each one has its specific purposes, some with strong personnalities. They are :
    - DBA EchoDream2 : huge sound with fuzz and crazy modulation if I want,
    - Alexander Sky5000 : digital delay with boost and slowbuilding clear reverb, perfect for shoegaze arpeggios
    - EHX Hazaraï : crazy pedal with presets and the most magnificent and extreme reverse delay
    - DBA Phosphene Scream : I mostly use the reverb functionnality, but delay with high feedback is perfect for psyche madness
    - Line6 Echo Park : the one I use with tap tempo for simple repetitions (tape mode). When I need a standard delay use, it's it.
    - EQD Disaster Transport SR : 2 delays in one, lo fi tape-like (think Watkins Copicat), used to enhance headroom and to create sonic landscapes (and control oscillation with exp pedal).

Several delays, several flavors, each one is necessary for my sound.

Not Orange and Swijak like this.