1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Multipurpose OT/PT for amp prototyping?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Axeplyr, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

I'm getting ready to get into amp building. I've spent considerable time reading up on the subject, and I'm getting ready to build something resembling a 5F1/5F2A Champ/Princeton. It's easy enough to identify a whole bunch of compatible PT's and OT's that will do the job. However, I am leaning forward to my next project - a 5E3 type - and realized I can probably buy these transformers carefully and slightly overspec'd, thus preventing me from having to rebuy when I decide to tweak/redesign for potentially push-pull or SE EL-34/6L6 designs.

So, I've narrowed down a couple of potential transformers:

PT: 370EX
    OT: 125ESE

I picked these because they seem to be usable for a variety of circuits. However, I get conflicting info on the 125ESE; it's optimized for single-ended class A, yet some seem to indicate they've used them for class A/B push-pull.

These are the types of things I'm concerned about. I'd really like to be able to buy a single set of transformers and get alot of flexibility. Anyone tried this? Are there better transformers for what I'm trying to do, and can handle everything from SE 6V6/EL84 to push-pull 6V6/EL84 and up to a single tube SE 6L6/EL34/KT66 design? Or should I resign myself to buying multiple transformers?

Thanks!

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

They won't work as a universal set. They will work for a champ project. An output transformer that will be good for a single 6V6 (i.e. Champ) will not be great for a pair or EL34s (Push-Pull). The PT will work for the 6V6, but it will not work to run even a pair of EL34s. The PT does not provide enough amperage. A single EL34 needs 1.5a, and that transformer only puts out 2.5a.

There are some great universal transformers out there, including some vintage Triade's. I would recommend getting purpose built transformers for your Champ project (i.e. specific for a Champ), and then start looking at what you NEED in a universal PT and OT.

3. Axeplyr

I had only planned a single EL-34 or 6L6. The push-pull would be for a pair of EL-84's or 6V6's.

Both the PT and OT I chose are significantly overspec'd to the Champ circuit and the Tweed Deluxe circuit. I spent considerable time looking for transformers that people used in a variety of different projects.

The 370EX PT is has 275-0-275/125mA, 5v/3A and 6.3v/4A secondaries, which according to my research should handle a single EL-34. In addition, it should work fine with a single 6L6, two 6V6's, two EL-84's, a single 6V6, or single EL-34.

the Hammond 125ESE is being used in amp projects utilizing a single EL-34, 6L6, or a KT66 in an single-ended config.

So I've accounted for the overspec. My questions are:

1. Will these transformers sound good in a Champ/Princeton circuit?

2. Will the 125ESE transformer (designed for single-ended operation) sound OK in a push-pull dual 6V6 or dual EL-84 circuit?

Part of the problem is I live in Australia, where these transformers aren't $50 each! They're $150 to $300 each. So I'd like to buy a single set and have max tweakability!

Thanks,

John

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Sorry, my mistake. I read EL34 when you wrote EL84. Hammond transformers sound decent, so they should sound OK, but probably not exactly like a Champ/Princeton. They will also sound OK in a dual 6V6/EL84.

5. rooster

rooster Member

IIRC, the 125E is the one that can be used for push/pull and single-ended. The 125ESE is a single-ended only air-gapped OT. I think. I could be wrong, though, it's what I do best.

rooster.

6. Axeplyr

Thanks. More more I read, the more I realize I need to learn. Apparently the 125ESE is not physically suited for a push-pull amp because it lacks a center tap. The 125E will apparently wor in a pinch but is not optimal. I might just have to reconsider all of this and go with a dedicated Champ or Princeton set as per Satellite's original suggestion.