Multiwave Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by decasta, Feb 10, 2012.

1. decasta

decasta Member

Hey everyone!

Just wondering, does anyone here have experience with both the standard and pro versions of the multiwave distortion?

Is it worth going for the pro, or is the standard good enough?

Also, I'm more of a metal/post-hardcore kinda player, so can this pedal pull those kinds of deep, ballsy tones?

Thanks! If you're selling one, let me know. Seriously interested. Hahaha.

2. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Never heard of it sorry.

3. decasta

decasta Member

4. in_sherman

in_sherman Member

huh i've never heard of it either. anyone else not heard of it should post in here so we know who doesn't know of it

5. itswac

itswac Member

Hey decasta,

I work for Source Audio...we try to keep it tame on the Gear Page to respect the no-spamming rules, but I'd be happy to answer any of your questions!

For your initial questions, the key differences between the standard and the Pro Multiwave are in the interface. The tones are all completely identical. With the Pro Series, you have the advantage of a graphic EQ and an extra clean/dirty mix knob to better sculpt your sound as well as 6 user presets to save with. There is also a MIDI IN port that allows you to do a variety of tricks with MIDI signal and an Expression In that allows you to morph between presets.

Both the standard and the Pro are Hot Hand compatible, but the Pro gives you a few more parameters to adjust.

6. scolfax

scolfax Member

I've never played one but Pete Thorn did a great demo of it on YouTube.

7. decasta

decasta Member

hey itswac.

thanks for that! I'm aware of the functions, and i guess for the sak of flexibility and room for creativity, I'm leaning towards the pro version, but I'm wondering if the pedal can reach high gain levels for metal? Maybe not grindcore or something, but in terms of bands, maybe something like Life on Repeat, The Color Morale, etc?

8. itswac

itswac Member

Yes you can definitely get the sounds of those two bands out of the Multiwave. You can tweak the drive and sustain knobs on either the pro or standard until you find the tone you want. With the Pro, you have the added benefit of controlling your clean mix...that goes a long way for getting it just right.

9. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

@itswac:

Any updates yet on the new, smaller version of this that is coming out?

10. itswac

itswac Member

We are expecting the Soundblox 2 Multiwave Distortion to ship by the end of March. Here is the page on our site right now: http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/soundblox2/index.php

What are all of your thoughts on the change in form factor to more compact, metal casings?

11. randombastage

randombastage Member

I like the look of the new form factor but wonder if having the switch portion lower than the control portion won't lead to the tip of the users shoes hitting the control knobs...

It seems like the controls should have been on a lower plane instead of a higher one, or else a little more space between the two sections (obviously that works against your goal of shrinking the enclosure).

On another note, the new ones say 2 user presets, can you call up those two presets via midi? Can you call up more than two via midi?
    Thanks

12. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Ah, cool! I hadn't seen that yet. I'll definately be adding the new Multiwave to my collection, now. The smaller, more rugged enclosure is most welcome! Thanks for the info!

:beer

13. decasta

decasta Member

just outta curiousity, are you guys at source audio possibly entertaining the idea of a soundblox 2 pro series?

14. itswac

itswac Member

That would depend upon the success of the initial Soundblox 2 line.

15. sahhas

sahhas Member

there is also this thread, which i started, when i debated (& got one):

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sh...&highlight=source+audio+multi-wave+distortion

you know i liked the pedal when i had it. i probably got rid of it too quick. i was using "too much" gear in my chain at the time, and i think this sort of got lost in the signal. i'm using a simpler setup now, and the sounds that it got would probably work better for me now. i know that when reeves gabrels used his, he said the octave setting was his favorite octave distortion sound.

the original pedal (non-pro) one that i had, the different settings were fun: as someone said, they were quasi-synthy sounding, it's a different distortion for sure (premiere guitar said it's for modern sound manglers), it is a digital distortion (which some don't like). the original pedal was sort of big, if space is an issue on your board. some said they didn't like the plastic-y feel to it. yes it was made of plastic, but i didn't think it felt cheap or less sturdy, it had some heft to it i thought, although i should say that i didn't stomp on mine (i keep it on my desk). i think if you want different sounds-it's for you. if you want to mimic vintage or old distortion sounds, probably look elsewhere, although they do have that other distortion pedal that does that....all this said, the link to the multi-wave distortion 2 pedal looks VERY INTERESTING....i'll just have to wait a bit....
    b/c honestly i've debated repurchasing this one....but the new one sounds good too (better?)...

16. sahhas

sahhas Member

can you give any hint of the price range for this? just curious.
    i think it looks great. what's not to love: metal casing, smaller...basically addressing what most of the complaints had been (although not mine!).
    be curious to see new demos when they come out....

re:
    "We are expecting the Soundblox 2 Multiwave Distortion to ship by the end of March. Here is the page on our site right now: http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/...lox2/index.php

What are all of your thoughts on the change in form factor to more compact, metal casings? "

17. itswac

itswac Member

The street price at launch will be $169

18. sahhas

sahhas Member

19. decasta

decasta Member

I might want to stick with the pro version, simply because it has the graphic EQ and more presets. Works better with my musicomlab.

I love the sounds from the demos so far, and the idea of multiband distortion is great, but of course I'm curious of its flexibility and ability to hit both high and low gain. According to itswac, it can, which excites me. Haha. Anyone have any experience trying that out?