Murphy's Law: Gig Emergency Bag contents...?

bobbymack

Gold Supporting Member
Here's what I bring...

Crate Power Block -- used twice in about 8 years (old; is there a better / newer / smaller small box for amp in a pinch?)

Variety of Fuses, Tubes, Cables, mic -- only blown a power tube once while gigging, couple of whistling preamp tubes

Multi tool

New Skin / crazy glue for split fingers; bandaids; Sudafed

What am I missing?

stevel

Not in the bag, but:

Pro Jr.
Full Drive 2 (less common when I had two modelling pedals that I could call up a drive on in a pinch).
Backup Guitar (when I was playing regularly)

In the Bag:

9v Batteries
Extra Instrument Cables
Extra Mic Cables
Extra Patch Cables
Extra AC power cables (plus my 3 way and power strip, which aren't really backups)
Extra Picks
Extra Strings
Side Cutters (Dykes)
String Winder
Various Screwdrivers (had to use one once as the pin for a speaker stand!)
Gaffer's Tape (or Gorilla Tape, or Duct Tape, or Electrician's Tape over the years)
Sharpie
Sunglasses
Emery Board (nail file) and Nail Clippers.

When I used a Pedal Power, I carried extra patch cables for it and the AC cord above.

For a while I carried a soldering iron and solder, though never used it, and probably wouldn't know how if I had to, plus usually involves catastrophic, unrecoverable failure that's unfixable at a gig.

In the case:

More Extra Strings
More Extra Picks

In the car:

Extra change of clothes, jackets (when gigging regularly and travelling)
Bug Spray/Mosquito Repellent
Sunglasses
Extra Picks

I also carry my own Mics and Mic Stand, Guitar Amp Mic Stand, and Amp Stand in addition to my main Amp and Guitar and Pedalboard.

I also always carry a pocket knife and multi-tool with me at all times and have used them many times at gigs.

Then there's the keyboard rig...

Lephty

In addition to all of the above:

Water bottle
Extra cell phone charger (and iPad or tablet charger)
Perhaps a tiny little stash if you're so inclined :bong

tonyhay

In addition to the above I always have a small flashlight. Comes in handy a lot, plugging in things on dark stages, etc.

For a backup amp I have a EHX Caliber 22. I have used it only once since I got it, about 8 years ago.

I don't actually bother taking spare tubes. If one blows, I know I'm not going to start troubleshooting at the gig.

beatnik

Afrin (so I could sing if I had s cold... came in handy a few times)
Tylenol or Advil (no tylenol with alcohol it will kill your liver)
Tubes tubes and more tubes
Extra power cable
Extra multi-outlet/extension cable
Multi-tool
Lozenges
Some sort of snack (apple bar etc)
Electrical tape (multi-color to label stuff)
Ball point pens and sharpies

I carried a gig back pack that went in everywhere and a gig gym bag that lived in my car.

bobbymack

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, good stuff. I guess in my mind there are obvious things like picks, strings, cables, gaffer tape etc that you KNOW you are going to use, and may need a backup. I'm asking more about the stuff that's important to have for the occasional mid gig nightmare that can keep you going through a show that otherwise might crash and burn...troubleshooting type things. I have definitely replaced tubes, cables etc and plugged in the Crate between sets, relying on flashlights, Philips Head on the Multi, even repairing Speakon connections on a Speaker cable with knife and wire strippers...

Put another way, what kind of equipment / other failures have forced you to go to Plan B, cancel or halfass a performance?

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I keep a bag that has a Sansamp, a few extra cables, a multitool, a capo, and a couple of 9V batteries. I've only needed to dive into it a few times over the years but I was grateful when I did.

Peace,

Floyd Eye

I have a small bag ( soft side laptop case actually) that has extra batteries, cables, mic, picks, mic clips, screwdrivers, pliers and a few other small things I am forgetting. That goes in with me. In the trailer I have pretty much a double of everything. Entire passive PA rig, spare bass rig, spare guitar rig, drum heads, mic stands, spare mixer, spare basses and guitars, etc..

I only had to go to the trailer once. One of the wedges killed itself by spontaneous combustion.

Jon C

In addition to the above I always have a small flashlight. Comes in handy a lot, plugging in things on dark stages, etc.

For a backup amp I have a EHX Caliber 22. I have used it only once since I got it, about 8 years ago.

I don't actually bother taking spare tubes. If one blows, I know I'm not going to start troubleshooting at the gig.

You can have problems short of blowing tubes that can be solved with a swap, so I carry spares -- for ex., I've had a tube start whistling, still working ... easy enough to swap in a new one and go on without having to dig into anything. :cool:

Jon C

Yeah, good stuff. I guess in my mind there are obvious things like picks, strings, cables, gaffer tape etc that you KNOW you are going to use, and may need a backup. I'm asking more about the stuff that's important to have for the occasional mid gig nightmare that can keep you going through a show that otherwise might crash and burn...troubleshooting type things. I have definitely replaced tubes, cables etc and plugged in the Crate between sets, relying on flashlights, Philips Head on the Multi, even repairing Speakon connections on a Speaker cable with knife and wire strippers...

Put another way, what kind of equipment / other failures have forced you to go to Plan B, cancel or halfass a performance?

The worst was the time the bass player wrote down the wrong time for the gig (a trio wedding gig) and showed up at 4:00 for a 1:30 gig, as we were (the drum & Guitar duo-in-waiting) trudging through the 2nd set. Unfortunately I can't fit a spare bass player in my duffel bag so this may happen again. :cool:

I've been fairly lucky otherwise on technical glitches, have pulled out the PowerBlock once IIRC ...

mosesblues

Silver Supporting Member
Great lists here and fully captures mine. A few others to add to the cable box, playing 2/3 of my shows outdoors in favorable seasons.

Thin pack of wet wipes for hands before playing if restroom is out of the question at that time.
Advil
Immodium - you'll never think you need it, until that one time you really really need it.
Mosquito repellent
Sheet plastic and duct tape
LED flashlight
Screwdriver/Phillips convertible tool
Needle nose wire-cutter pliers

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I always have a 50 foot AC extension cable in my car. It's amazing the people that think amps can run off thin air.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom