Music Gear in Japan

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Drunkagain, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Im spending a bit of time in Japan and was curious what gear I should look at that you can't easily get back in the states. Guitars, amps, pedals, whatever. I'm especially interested in pedals if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

2. grill

grill Member

ya, some cool stuff but $$$$.

lot's of fun to browse, tho..plenty of 2nd hand shops.

you got the money? go for it!

3. hp29

hp29 Member

Ibanez J-Custom guitars are only sold in Japan, and could be re-sold in the States for a good profit.

4. alschnier

alschnier Supporting Member

you can find some vintage MIJ stuff for reasonable prices. look for '70s & '80s ibanez, boss, roland, etc. I scored an early Ibanez GB10 for about $700 a few years ago.

there are also some cool boutique effects being built there (JHS, Hizumi), as well as guitars (esp. Freedom Guitars).

U can also find cool MIJ only guitars that are not avail in states (incl. some nicer Epi's w/ "open book" / Gibson type headstocks).

5. whitehall

whitehall Member

At 75 yen (Current rate) you are paying 50% more for everything than I was paying a few years ago. But there are plenty of cool shops in the Ochanomizu and Shibuya to go to. The Japanese worship American guitars. It's a great place to play a lot of them. Especially the ones like Tom Anderson , etc. Lots of those over there.

6. TonyBony

TonyBony Supporting Member

You can still find really good deals at "Off Houses" which are second hand stores. Even with the bad yen rate you can find some very reasonable stuff. My friend just bought a 50 watt JCM 800 4 holer for 500.00 which I think is a good deal. Japanese used gear is usually in immaculate condition. 5 years ago when the yen rate was 120 I seemed to be buying a piece of gear every week, not so much now though.

7. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

I've had some good luck at the "Hard Off" shops... an Orville By Gibson LP for around $300, and a MIJ Strat for $40 that had leopard-print fabric glued to the body (came off perfectly).

I was in Ochanamizu a few weeks ago and a there are so many shops with similar stock, so lots of selection. There don't seem to be as many deals as a few years ago. I almost always used come back to Canada with something used and nice from the Ishibashi or Mikki-Gakki shops in Shinsaibashi (Osaka). I picked up a couple of original Way Huge pedals for $100 each back before they reissued them... sold those for a tasty profit.

Most effects I've seen are really expensive vs. in the US.

A new Collings 290 I played was almost $5000!

Have fun!

8. dmb70

dmb70 Member

Used Orville, Orville By Gibson, Epiphone Japan, Greco, Burny Tokai.

9. Simto

Simto Member

Check this thread a fellow TGP'er made a few years ago. They have so much cool gear in Japan, i love Japanese Fender stuff. They have a bunch of Gretsch stuff too. Compare to the prices in Denmark where i live, most of the stuff is cheaper than here, but some of the prices are insanley low. especially the Japanese Fender stuff which i think is great! They also have a bunch of nice Gretsch guitars.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=263725

Check this site too. Lots of drool-worthy instruments. Fender Japan is doing a reissue of the VI bass, i've always wanted one of those, but it's only the custom shop that has put a couple out. As far as i know, Japanese musicians don't like used instruments, so i've kinda read you can get really lucky if you look around used stuff.
    http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/eng/

You're a lucky guy, i would LOVE to go to Japan.

10. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

Wow that's a god awful yen rate! When I was stationed there, the Yen was at 108 and I thought that was bad!

11. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Definitely check out the Yamaha SG series stuff.

12. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Original Ibanez Artists and/or Weirs and Artwood Twins are worth looking into.

If I went there I'd go nuts, too much stuff I want.